www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

A few years a go I added a wash down pump with hoses to the front and back of the boat. This works great while on the water, but not at all on the trailer.

Sometimes when we put the boat on the trailer we have algae or other crud on the sides of the boat. I have thought at times that it would be nice to have a way to rinse the boat and trailer, but not every boat ramp has a wash down facility.

Today I tried something with very good results. I connected a 25 foot garden hose and nozzle to a 1/2 inch pipe to garden hose adapter fitting. Then I removed the transom handheld shower head from its hose and connected the above adapter and hose to the transom shower hose. With the water pump on and some of the left over water in the fresh water tank I was able to rinse the sides and bottom of the boat and the trailer. Just be sure to not lose the rubber O-Ring when you remove the shower head. Leave the O-Ring in the end of the hose and the adapter will seal against it. 3 or 4 feet of the shower hose and a 25 foot garden hose should reach just about all of the boat or trailer. A link to an example of the fitting is below. This fitting is brass, but a plastic fitting should also work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Lea ... /207176334

I have also used this adapter with a hose to circulate RV antifreeze back into the water tank when winterizing the fresh water system or the bleach or vinegar solution in the spring when getting the boat ready for the season. It also works well to connect to a hose to run any solution such as the bleach or vinegar to a drain for disposal.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:00 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Great idea! I would like to do something a little more permanent on he now to wash the anchor and windless area off....

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:16 pm 

The wash down system I added works very well. I added a tee in the supply line between the thru-hull fitting and the toilet. I put a check valve in the line from the tee to the toilet so the wash down pump would not pull water from the supply line to the toilet and lose its prime. I added the wash down pump and strainer just ahead of the fresh water tank next to the fresh water pump. I tee'd off the output side of the wash down pump and routed a hose to the rear storage locker and connected a coiled hose and spray nozzle. I ran another hose under the aft cabin, the head, and under the right side V berth, and through the bulkhead into the anchor locker, with another coiled hose and nozzle in the anchor locker. I used one of the "Auxiliary" switches on the helm jut to the right of the wheel, and the fuse in the fuse block next to the Captain's right shin for power. When we pull the anchor there are usually some muddy water spots on the bow or occasionally even mud on the anchor. The hose on the stern works great for rinsing the swim platform or for rinsing the dinghy before putting it away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 am 
Livin' the Dream

Surface Interval wrote:
The wash down system I added works very well. I added a tee in the supply line between the thru-hull fitting and the toilet. I put a check valve in the line from the tee to the toilet so the wash down pump would not pull water from the supply line to the toilet and lose its prime. I added the wash down pump and strainer just ahead of the fresh water tank next to the fresh water pump. I tee'd off the output side of the wash down pump and routed a hose to the rear storage locker and connected a coiled hose and spray nozzle. I ran another hose under the aft cabin, the head, and under the right side V berth, and through the bulkhead into the anchor locker, with another coiled hose and nozzle in the anchor locker. I used one of the "Auxiliary" switches on the helm jut to the right of the wheel, and the fuse in the fuse block next to the Captain's right shin for power. When we pull the anchor there are usually some muddy water spots on the bow or occasionally even mud on the anchor. The hose on the stern works great for rinsing the swim platform or for rinsing the dinghy before putting it away.

This ^^^^^^ is awesome, thank you!!! Putting this on my winter project list. WHat kind of pump did you use?

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 pm 

I used a Jabsco automatic 60 psi 4 gpm.