www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:43 am 
Minnow

So this weekend we were using the freshwater pump and it just cut off. I looked at the switch panel and both it and the forward bilge pump lights were on even with both of the switches in the off position.

It's a 2006 278 Vista. I checked the fuses for both pumps and they are good. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If you haven't figured this one out yet I would grab the volt meter. Sounds like a low voltage or ground issue. I got some pretty strange things going on with wiring for the light in the head. Sounds similar to you. The switch would light up but the light would not come on. I ran a new ground wire and things worked fine after. I was randomly get around 2-3 volts but not all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The forward bilge pump in my 2009 278 was wired incorrectly from new. Eventually enough rain water accumulated there to submerge a multi pin connector ( low down, starboard side, to the rear of the forward bilge). and electrolysis occurred; corroding away some connectors and allowing other to get power when they shouldn't have ( forward bilge pump always running, but very slow and cockpits lights always on. albeit at low intensity). Battery drainage and failure, multiple new batteries fitted by the dealer before I bought it

I rewired the bilge pump properly. ( fresh water pump was also plumbed in backwards !).

I chopped off the multi connector, used adhesive lined heat shrink crimps / tinned wire to extend the harness to the port side and used 3 or 4 sets of waterproof multiple pin connectors there under the upper step, well above any possibly water level in normal use.

It's been fine ever since.

I recommend you look at that multi pin connector; 12 pin if I remember correctly. I can't check on the wiring diagram in the owners manual as it's on the boat 100 miles away ! For mine in any case, the wiring diagram is for earlier years, up to ca 2007 or thereabouts; certain things in the wiring changed on later models. Some obvious, some less so. As a consequence, for mine the wiring schematics only give hints. No wiring schematics were made available for 2009 models even to dealers !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:54 am 
Minnow

I found the problem. The wires supplying power to both pumps were only making incidental contact with the supply wire to the pump.