www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 pm 
Livin' the Dream

I added an inverter last winter. Used this transfer switch
http://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-8366-AC-R ... _2083.html

It had tags for shore power, inverter and Generator. I will probably add the rear receptacle for a generator/shore power this winter. I had planned to jus use a feed for 20 amp to use for the gen. But with the layout of my dock electric, I will probably add the exact same 30 amp receptacle that the boat has now. Then I can just use that for my shore or gen power.... good luck. I have 3 house batteries and can run the air about 3-4 hours before the low voltage alarm on the inverter starts to go off. It is still fine to run the fridge after that, just too low to use the inverter....

Here is the link to my install, which has a couple others that Surface posted

viewtopic.php?t=15304

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

YYZ-RC wrote:
I've seen a couple threads on this topic but no real talk of a solution that avoids having both shore power inlets live at the same time (yikes).

I found this switch: https://www.bluesea.com/products/9010/A ... 20V_AC_30A

There are also 2 position switches but one day I will add the inverter as well.

Is there any reason I couldn't add a shore power inlet in the transom area (probably in the locker), with this type of switch to prevent powering both shore power inlets at the same time? This would facilitate a generator on the swim platform, and it would also save me from having to run my shore power cord across the bow to the starboard side where the dock receptacle is located.

Thoughts?

That will work. You just need to make the right connection so it breaks the other plug when one side is hot. I have one that is similar that i hooked up to keep from dragging the shore power cord over the boat when i visit other places

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 am 
Livin' the Dream

YYZ-RC wrote:
Another question along the same lines.

The shore power cord I have now is unsightly but it's structurally fine. I was planning to replace with new. Can I use the old one to wire up the new inlet/switch?

What do you mean, unsightly? If you mean dirty, I use the hand wipe cleaners they sell at Home Depot to clean it. The cord itself should be marine rated, so I would think it would be fine. The cost of a new cord with both ends would be pretty expensive, but you could leave the male end in the transom to plug into and save the cost of the receptacle at the transom ($60-$137 depending on quality)..... me, I would order a 10-3 marine cable and the correct plug the (Hubble stainless) to mount at the back and try to continue using the unsightly cord after being cleaned up... the marine cable (with ends on it) will end up being about $2-$3 per foot where the 10/3 will be between $1/$2 per foot

Now if your connections are beginning to wear and show signs of arcing, it would make more sense to replace and use the old chord as the new wiring to the transom

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp