www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:03 am 
Livin' the Dream

All
Looking at some small upgrades this winter. One would be to drain the kitchen and bath sinks directly overboard, and also add a 3rd one to take the AC condensate and shower (via the shower sump) over board. I was thinking of just the shower sump over board, but the sinks seem to make sense to lesson the use of the shower sump pump. Heard many times those go out or need maintenance.

Who has done it?
Any insight? Any part numbers/sizes for the hoses, or through the hull fittings? I remember I read the kitchen sink was tight to keep above the water line.... I will be bringing her home from the marina in about 3 weeks, so just planning, researching right now

Thanks in advance!

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

My boat came with overboard drains. If needed, I could provide dimensions for locating the new thru-hull fittings measured forward from other drain fittings and above the boat's chine. My boat goes to storage on October 20, so I would need to measure before then.

You should be able to cut the sink drain lines to the length needed and connect to the new thru-hull fittings. You will need to remove hoses from the shower sump and cap the ports on the shower sump. You will need two thru-hull fittings and two caps (or plug the two lines). The two sink drain lines do not have any "trap" or low spot. Do what you can for a relatively constant slope.

You will probably need to pull the fridge for access to the galley sink drain. Remove the 4 screws attaching the fridge mounting flanges to the face of the cabinet. Lay down a towel or rug to protect the floor and set the fridge. The fridge has a 110V plug and a 12 volt two wire plug to disconnnect. There should be enough wire length to disconnect after the fridge is on the floor. Does the sink drain to a gray water tank or to the shower sump? Does the shower sump dump overboard or to a gray water tank or the black water tank?

In the head, remove the lower cabinet to access the sink drain. If you haven't dealt with the shower sump yet, it is under an access panel in the floor in the storage cabinet behind the head.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:22 am 
Sting Ray

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/ check this place for good inexpensive stainless thru hull fittings

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:46 am 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks Gary, good info as always, I appreciate it! I put my answers in red

Surface Interval wrote:
My boat came with overboard drains. If needed, I could provide dimensions for locating the new thru-hull fittings measured forward from other drain fittings and above the boat's chine. My boat goes to storage on October 20, so I would need to measure before then. Any dimensions, at least ballpark area, would be a nice reference

You should be able to cut the sink drain lines to the length needed and connect to the new thru-hull fittings. You will need to remove hoses from the shower sump and cap the ports on the shower sump. You will need two thru-hull fittings and two caps (or plug the two lines). The two sink drain lines do not have any "trap" or low spot. Do what you can for a relatively constant slope.

You will probably need to pull the fridge for access to the galley sink drain. Remove the 4 screws attaching the fridge mounting flanges to the face of the cabinet. Lay down a towel or rug to protect the floor and set the fridge. The fridge has a 110V plug and a 12 volt two wire plug to disconnnect. There should be enough wire length to disconnect after the fridge is on the floor. Does the sink drain to a gray water tank or to the shower sump? Not positive, i thought the sink drained to the Sump pump box Does the shower sump dump overboard or to a gray water tank or the black water tank? My shower sump drains to the grey water tank, i think i want to pump it overboard too, eliminate the grey water tank, more storage :)

In the head, remove the lower cabinet to access the sink drain. If you haven't dealt with the shower sump yet, it is under an access panel in the floor in the storage cabinet behind the head. I replaced the shower sump in the spring, it was tight, that is what has me thinking to avoid using it for the drains, if not needed

signalstan wrote:
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/ check this place for good inexpensive stainless thru hull fittings

THanks Stan!

Past

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:50 pm 

There is a simple solution to get the galley sink to drain overboard. If you remove the back wall of the storage area under the steps you will see the drain hose for your sink. You will also see the overboard discharge hose for the floor scupper that is located on the cockpit floor at the door way to the cuddy. Cut both lines, install a tee and 3 gear clamps and you are done. I did this on my 268 and it worked perfectly.

Seeing as the shower sump is pumped, you could easily do the same thing without worrying about gravity. You just need to find an overboard line that you can get to (perhaps the same line as sink). In this case I would add a back flow preventer to the line you tee into.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:22 pm 
Livin' the Dream

alex8q4 wrote:
There is a simple solution to get the galley sink to drain overboard. If you remove the back wall of the storage area under the steps you will see the drain hose for your sink. You will also see the overboard discharge hose for the floor scupper that is located on the cockpit floor at the door way to the cuddy. Cut both lines, install a tee and 3 gear clamps and you are done. I did this on my 268 and it worked perfectly.

Seeing as the shower sump is pumped, you could easily do the same thing without worrying about gravity. You just need to find an overboard line that you can get to (perhaps the same line as sink). In this case I would add a back flow preventer to the line you tee into.

Good luck.

The kitchen sink, I agree, I will check the sizes and see how that works. I was thinking that drain is behind the closet, just aft of the steps. Good idea, thank you!

Yes, the sump is really close to that one also, the backflow would help and then I wouldn't drill a hole for that. The last one will be the bathroom sink, maybe only need one through the hull added, great perspective. Thank you!

Past

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:53 pm 

Alex's idea for the galley sink drain sounds like an easier way than pulling the fridge and adding a new thru-hull fitting. You will want to make sure you have the slope for drainage. Dimensions are below if you decide to add the fitting. If your shower sump goes to the gray water tank, re-routing the shower sump output line to a thru-hull may be fun.

Dimensions for center line of overboard drain fittings on my boat:

Port side has 3 fittings:
1. Rear fitting is for drain under left front corner of removable floor (engine cover).
2. Next fitting is for floor drain by cabin door.
3. Sink drain. The Thru-hull fitting for the sink drain is 42 3/4" ahead of the thru-hull for the floor drain by the cabin door, and 15 3/4" above the chine.

Starboard side has 5 fittings. I may have a couple fitting labels switched but these are the dimensions from rear fitting and from next aft fitting. (From what you are describing, do you have only 3 fittings on the right side?)
1. Bilge Pump fitting. Rear most fitting.
2. Floor drain under right front corner of engine cover. 3 1/2" forward of rear fitting.
3. Forward bilge. 73" from rear fitting. 69 1/2" ahead of next fitting aft.
4. Shower sump. 77 1/8" from rear fitting. 4 1/8" ahead of next fitting aft.
5. Head sink drain. 120" from rear fitting. 42 7/8" ahead of next aft fitting. 15 3/4" above chine.

It usually goes without saying but when it comes to drilling holes in the hull, measure twice before drilling. Look inside to make sure the hole will be where it is needed. Apply masking tape to the area to mark the location and to minimize gelcoat chipping. Use a hole saw with light pressure and usually a higher speed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:37 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Surface Interval wrote:
Alex's idea for the galley sink drain sounds like an easier way than pulling the fridge and adding a new thru-hull fitting. You will want to make sure you have the slope for drainage. Dimensions are below if you decide to add the fitting. If your shower sump goes to the gray water tank, re-routing the shower sump output line to a thru-hull may be fun.

Dimensions for center line of overboard drain fittings on my boat:

Port side has 3 fittings:
1. Rear fitting is for drain under left front corner of removable floor (engine cover).
2. Next fitting is for floor drain by cabin door.
3. Sink drain. The Thru-hull fitting for the sink drain is 42 3/4" ahead of the thru-hull for the floor drain by the cabin door, and 15 3/4" above the chine.

Starboard side has 5 fittings. I may have a couple fitting labels switched but these are the dimensions from rear fitting and from next aft fitting. (From what you are describing, do you have only 3 fittings on the right side?)
1. Bilge Pump fitting. Rear most fitting.
2. Floor drain under right front corner of engine cover. 3 1/2" forward of rear fitting.
3. Forward bilge. 73" from rear fitting. 69 1/2" ahead of next fitting aft.
4. Shower sump. 77 1/8" from rear fitting. 4 1/8" ahead of next fitting aft.
5. Head sink drain. 120" from rear fitting. 42 7/8" ahead of next aft fitting. 15 3/4" above chine.

It usually goes without saying but when it comes to drilling holes in the hull, measure twice before drilling. Look inside to make sure the hole will be where it is needed. Apply masking tape to the area to mark the location and to minimize gelcoat chipping. Use a hole saw with light pressure and usually a higher speed.

Thank you Gary, awesome info. This should be a reasonable job to do at a little cost. The info on this forum is awesome. Thanks to all that have helped me in the past with my crazy questions!

Past

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Started looking at the galley drain. I am Going to put a T in at the cockpit floor drain by the cabin door. The hose looks like a 1" I.D. Hose. I will Also need a T fitting. Does that sound correct? Any idea where a good place to order these parts from? Also, I will Need something to cap off the 1" drain hose going into the shower sump box, any thoughts on what would work best? Also, please let me know of what kind of check valve to use for the shower sump tie in. That will be next....

Thanks in advance

Past

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:46 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Took the scupper hose loose today, ordered some new 1" hose, a T and some clamps. Ordering new, because I didnt Want to destroy the old hose, til I knew What I have Planned was right. Hope to put it together next week, then move to the bathroom sink and shower pump. Thinking I will Just have the shower pump tie into the other scupper drain, as suggested by Alex.... anyway, have a good thanksgiving!

Past

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:30 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Today, was able to get the kitchen sink overboard done. I was able to install a T and add it to the scupper drain on the port side, under the door. I removed the back plate for the storage area, refrigerator, and the carpeted step covers. It was tight, but worked as Alex had suggested. Placing an order tonight for a 1” through hull for the head sink. Also going to order a 3/4” Y and a check valve for the shower pump to tie to the forward bilge outlet. Hope next weekend to get this part done and pull the grey tank out. That will be nice storage :lol:

Past

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:02 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Surface Interval wrote:

Gary, for this drain, by the chine, is that the bottom edge of the boat in that location, I dont Recall anything special. Is this lined up with the others, or at least seem to be?
Thank you, I just want it to be right the first time :roll:

Ordered this Y (seasense) to add to the fwd bilge outlet behind the starboard closet to combine with the shower sump, has 2 built in check valves.

https://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-812 ... r4EALw_wcB

So today I disconnected The shower sump from the grey water Tank and routed the hose to add the Y fitting. I also Removed the 1” head and Galley sink drains, replaced the shower drain (eliminate the T’s). Next weekend, I will Add the new Through hull fitting for the head sink and cut that Y in. The gray system will then all drain overboard.

The grey water Tank has a few gallons of anti freeze in it from winterizing. Thinking I will Try to drop a hose in the sending unit hole and try to suck it out with a wet dry vac. I am Not sure why, but I feel The need to keep the old Tank....

The added storage will be nice, it’s larger than I thought....

As I pull this Tank, I am assuming I should Remove the tank and all hoses associated with it. Then use expandable foam to close off the holes. Any suggestions what to do with the pump out opening to keep people from confusing the waste tank from the abandoned fitting. I have Read a couple post of people adding water into the engine compartment on old fittings.... thinking a little locktight or silicon on the threads to keep it in place...

I appreciate The help this board is, thanks to all

Past

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:55 pm 

Chris, the chine is the bottom corner where the hull outside wall meets the hull bottom. You could measure from the rear most thru hull fitting and any others you have on that side. The dimensions I gave are to the center of each thru hull fitting. They don't really line up with each other. Before you drill, look for landmarks to positively identify where the hole will be. I texted some photos for reference.

The only recommendation is to make sure there is enough slope or grade for the line to drain, and that any check valves or other equipment does not restrict flow.

For the extra unused deck fitting, how about replacing it with a rod holder? That way it could be used as a grill mount, or maybe even to hold a fishing rod....... :shock: :x 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:18 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks Gary, I was Thinking about the fishing pole mount, I will Check it out, I also Seen a mount for a tv that is similar style, I think This one is too wide...

http://www.searay-parts.com/Flat-screen ... ntbrkt.htm

I was able to suck the antifreeze out today using a shop vac with a piece of 1” hose taped to the regular vac hose to be able to fit into the port for the level detector... so I will Pull the Tank tomorrow during my lunch hour and be as far as I can Be til the the remaining parts are delivered.

Gary,
I laid Out the head sink from your dimensions (thanks again!). When I can Get a friend to come to the storage building and hold a magnet, I will Match it up inside and make sure it’s gonna work out. That’s the last part of this project. Really appreciate the info and advice, it’s gonna be a much needed upgrade for next year

Past

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 pm 

Chris, you might also use angle and distance from the window to help verify location... Just a thought if the buddy's "help" turns into more of a beer drinking session. After all, it is the off-season. 8)

Last edited by Surface Interval on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.