www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 pm 
Seahorse

Hello all!

My wife and I recently moved from a Sundancer 240 to a 2006 348 Vista. One thing that I miss about owning a Searay is the active members over at Clubsearay.com. Not to take anything away from this site, but it doesn't seem to have the same amount of active members.

Anyway, I figured I'd share my story and hopefully become an active member of this community. My wife and I purchased this new to us boat back in May or so (I think I posted an intro back then). We love the boat, however about a month in we had a catastrophic failure of the port engine. The Crusader 6.0L engine broke two connecting rods, causing one of the pistons to smash into the port side head leaving it in bunch of pieces. I'm attributing this failure to a poorly rebuilt engine (engine was rebuilt by the previous owner).

We had the engines surveyed prior to taking ownership, however the survey did not come up with any issues. We just got unlucky I guess.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I have a reman long block in my garage that I am transferring all of the marine components over to. I'd be happy to share more of this story with anybody interested in hearing it. I had to do quite a bit of research to identify the block and find a company that was capable of building a new block (not all marine suppliers are familiar with these LSx style engines).

Here are a couple pics for anyone out there interested, thanks for reading!

Here is our boat chilling at the slip

This is a view from the top of the damaged cylinder. Is something missing?

Previous:
2010 Searay Sundancer 240
2015 Searay 190 Sport
http://crusaderblues.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Beautiful boat! Sorry to hear about your engine. Do you have any info of when the original was replaced and the Re manufactured engine failed as far as hours go. I am always curious. would love to hear about the progress.

Seems like the activity goes in streaks here. Very knowledgeable people for sure.
Good luck, keep us posted

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 am 
Shark

Ouch! yeah that is very unlucky, it's a horrible feeling when things like this happen, i know from experience.
That said, Good luck with the rebuild as it's a lovely boat. 8)

Look forward to the pics!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 am 
Seahorse

chris268 wrote:
Beautiful boat! Sorry to hear about your engine. Do you have any info of when the original was replaced and the Re manufactured engine failed as far as hours go. I am always curious. would love to hear about the progress.

Thanks Chris! From the invoices that the previous owner supplied, the engine was rebuilt back in 2015. However, the engine wasn't used much at all (only about 20 hours), looks like the boat mostly sat until we purchased it. The lack of use on that engine should have been a huge red flag, lesson learned on that one. The invoices show that the previous owner had the engine rebuilt by a boatyard, so I question the experience of the mechanic that actually did the rebuild. From the look of the damage, I think that there might have been an issue with the thrust bearing.

In order to save on cost, we ended up going with a reman long block. The challenge was that most marine suppliers of reman engines were not familiar with the 6.0 engine, and the cost was outrageous from those that were familiar. This made finding the block difficult. I did a bunch of research to find out exactly what block the Crusader package was built on top of and was able to locate an engine rebuilder that specializes in these LS type blocks based in Texas. They custom built a long block for me with upgraded forged rods and pistons (I hope to have built an engine that is strongly that the original). It took about a month and a half to have it built, but I currently have the new (reman) long block sitting in my garage.

I also found a boatyard that was willing and able to pull the bad block and drop it in my truck. Since I pulled all of the manifolds and disconnected everything from the engine, removing the block only took them about an hour and a half. This has allowed me to build the complete engine at home and save on the total labor cost.

I'm still waiting on a couple parts but should have the engine ready to bring back to the boatyard by next Monday. It's been a frustrating experiencing, however I have gained a lot of knowledge that I think will be invaluable later on. I've also taken the opportunity to replace the oil/trans coolers as well as exhaust risers on the 'good' starboard engine.

I apologize for the long post, but it has been quite an experience!

Previous:
2015 Searay 190 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 am 
Seahorse

Jsyphil wrote:
Ouch! yeah that is very unlucky, it's a horrible feeling when things like this happen, i know from experience.
That said, Good luck with the rebuild as it's a lovely boat. 8)

Look forward to the pics!

Thanks! Yeah, it was definitely an awful feeling when it happening. However, now that it is (hopefully) almost over I think I've learned enough about these engines to almost make it worthwhile.

Previous:
2015 Searay 190 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 am 
Livin' the Dream

DoneRampin' wrote:
chris268 wrote:

Thanks Chris! From the invoices that the previous owner supplied, the engine was rebuilt back in 2015. However, the engine wasn't used much at all (only about 20 hours), looks like the boat mostly sat until we purchased it. The lack of use on that engine should have been a huge red flag, lesson learned on that one. The invoices show that the previous owner had the engine rebuilt by a boatyard, so I question the experience of the mechanic that actually did the rebuild. From the look of the damage, I think that there might have been an issue with the thrust bearing.

In order to save on cost, we ended up going with a reman long block. The challenge was that most marine suppliers of reman engines were not familiar with the 6.0 engine, and the cost was outrageous from those that were familiar. This made finding the block difficult. I did a bunch of research to find out exactly what block the Crusader package was built on top of and was able to locate an engine rebuilder that specializes in these LS type blocks based in Texas. They custom built a long block for me with upgraded forged rods and pistons (I hope to have built an engine that is strongly that the original). It took about a month and a half to have it built, but I currently have the new (reman) long block sitting in my garage.

I also found a boatyard that was willing and able to pull the bad block and drop it in my truck. Since I pulled all of the manifolds and disconnected everything from the engine, removing the block only took them about an hour and a half. This has allowed me to build the complete engine at home and save on the total labor cost.

I'm still waiting on a couple parts but should have the engine ready to bring back to the boatyard by next Monday. It's been a frustrating experiencing, however I have gained a lot of knowledge that I think will be invaluable later on. I've also taken the opportunity to replace the oil/trans coolers as well as exhaust risers on the 'good' starboard engine.

I apologize for the long post, but it has been quite an experience!

Wow, thank goodness you live in FL, so the season doesn’t stop!

The boat I bought last year had a similar history. The owner blew the head gasket, put a remanufactured engine in. Put 4 hours in it and then, it sat to 4 years. I have been fortunate to put approx 40 hours in it this year with no issues. I was worried about it for sure.

Good luck, please keep us posted with updates

Past

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:35 am 
Seahorse

chris268 wrote:
Wow, thank goodness you live in FL, so the season doesn’t stop!

The boat I bought last year had a similar history. The owner blew the head gasket, put a remanufactured engine in. Put 4 hours in it and then, it sat to 4 years. I have been fortunate to put approx 40 hours in it this year with no issues. I was worried about it for sure.

Good luck, please keep us posted with updates

Yeah, the year 'round season definitely helps to make up for the two months we've been out of commission! Although, we've still been able to stay on the boat, just have been stuck at the slip (first world problems).

I'm really glad to hear that your engine has been solid. I expect that our engine failure was due more to a bad rebuild than from it sitting. However, if the boat hadn't sat for so long I'm sure the engine would have blown on the previous owner rather than on us.

Previous:
2015 Searay 190 Sport

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:52 am 
Goldfish

I too am a previous Searay owner and do miss the Clubsearay site. I think there are just a ton more Searay owners than Four Winns owners.

That sucks on losing an engine so soon after purchasing your boat, but it sounds as if you are on your way back to boating.

Good luck

2005 SeaRay 280 SunDancer
2001 SeaRay 245 Weekender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 am 
Seahorse

That's definitely the truth, pretty much every other boat out on the water is a Searay. While we really enjoyed our Sundancer, when it came time to upgrade we fell in love with the layout of the 348 Vista and woodwork in the cabin. The cabin of the 348 Vista is much nicer than that of the comparable Searay.

Previous:
2015 Searay 190 Sport

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:25 am 
Seahorse

For anybody following, I'm just about finished 'dressing up' the engine with the manifolds and accessories. I had to wait a few days to receive a new Windage Tray, which is a piece that mounts between the crankshaft and the oil pan. The Windage Tray was banged up pretty bad when the piston came crashing through (around?) the engine. Good news is that the tray protected the oil pan from damage. The tray acted like a bullet-proof vest and absorbed the brunt of the impact. Much better to replace a $30 tray than a $300+ oil pan.

The most difficult part has been getting the front and rear covers lined up correctly to mate with the oil pan. For those not familiar with this LSx type engine, the bottom of the front and rear engine covers are the surfaces that bolt to the front and rear of the oil pan. If these are lined up just right it could result in a pretty nasty oil leak. GM makes a few highly priced tools to help with the alignment, but I ended up using tips that I found on you-tube to avoid needing the GM tools.

I expect to be able to deliver the engine to the boatyard first thing on Monday. The only thing I need to figure out is how to transport the engine safely in my truck. What I plan on doing is putting an old tire underneath the oil pan and wooden blocks underneath the motor mounts. I'll then use a couple tie-downs to keep the engine from moving around while underway. It's about a two hour drive to the boatyard and I would like to get the engine there in one piece. Any suggestions on how better to secure the engine for transport would be greatly appreciated!

I'll post a few pictures of the completed engine later this weekend. If anybody else needs tips on replacing a blown Crusader 6.0L engine, I'm your man! I've learned quite a bit from this experience.

Previous:
2015 Searay 190 Sport

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

If you are planning to use wood blocks under the engine mounts, wouldn't it be better to just build a wooden cradle or stand for it?

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 am 
Tadpole

Hi David:

Just letting you know I joined this forum to keep up with your work on the Vista so please keep posting. We are considering a 348/358 Vista for our next boat.

Thanks again,

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:59 am 
Sting Ray

I have a 2005 Four Winns 348 with the 6.0 Crusaders with 700 original hours. Very well maintained and no issues.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Did you happen to come across my boat when purchasing? I have had my 348 for sale for almost a year now.

https://sites.google.com/site/2005fourwinns348/

Best of luck with the new engine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:21 pm 
Livin' the Dream

psusound wrote:
I have a 2005 Four Winns 348 with the 6.0 Crusaders with 700 original hours. Very well maintained and no issues.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Did you happen to come across my boat when purchasing? I have had my 348 for sale for almost a year now.

https://sites.google.com/site/2005fourwinns348/

Best of luck with the new engine.

I love your boat, I hope it isn't available this time next year, because I will have to come buy it....
GLWS!

Past

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:12 pm 
Seahorse

Surface Interval wrote:
If you are planning to use wood blocks under the engine mounts, wouldn't it be better to just build a wooden cradle or stand for it?

Thought about building a cradle / stand, but the old tire and wood planks under the engine did just fine. A couple tie downs and it stayed in place nicely. Was able to deliver the boat to the yard with no issue.

Previous:
2015 Searay 190 Sport