www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 am 
Goldfish

I have a 2011 V335. The fuel cell on the starboard engine was recently changed. At or around that time, fuel from the starboard engine stopped flowing from the starboard tank. Vessel View showed a radical imbalance between the tanks. Essentially no fuel pulling from the starboard tank. I filled both tanks and the starboard tank took far less gas, so it's not a sender problem. Both engines run at about he same temp, no performance problems. When I fist noticed this the starboard tank valve was off after this repair. Turning it on, with the center valve connecting the draw from both tanks on did not fix the problem. As an side, in the year I've owned the boat I've had all 3 valves in the on position and have not seen a significant difference in fuel use between the tanks,

Based on what I've read here, closing the center valve would be the next obvious thing to do. It just seems odd that this should be so extremely out of balance unless something happened to the anti siphon valve during the process of replacing the fuel cell and running with the starboard tank turned off. I am concerned about creating a fuel starvation problem for the starboard engine and any problems that may create.

Thoughts?

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:04 pm 
email admin your custom rank

gmsutton wrote:
I have a 2011 V335. The fuel cell on the starboard engine was recently changed. At or around that time, fuel from the starboard engine stopped flowing from the starboard tank. Vessel View showed a radical imbalance between the tanks. Essentially no fuel pulling from the starboard tank. I filled both tanks and the starboard tank took far less gas, so it's not a sender problem. Both engines run at about he same temp, no performance problems. When I fist noticed this the starboard tank valve was off after this repair. Turning it on, with the center valve connecting the draw from both tanks on did not fix the problem. As an side, in the year I've owned the boat I've had all 3 valves in the on position and have not seen a significant difference in fuel use between the tanks,

Based on what I've read here, closing the center valve would be the next obvious thing to do. It just seems odd that this should be so extremely out of balance unless something happened to the anti siphon valve during the process of replacing the fuel cell and running with the starboard tank turned off. I am concerned about creating a fuel starvation problem for the starboard engine and any problems that may create.

Thoughts?

Greg

Open port and stbd valves and close the center one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 am 
Sting Ray

I agree with Thalasso, open each side and close the center, this happened to me on a long trip and could not figure out why it was only drawing from the starboard side, then I discovered our mechanic had opened all the valves. Once I closed the center everything was fine again.

Previous Boats
'04 268 Vista
'97 238 Vista
'94 210 Marada
'88 175 Sunbird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 am 
Goldfish

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Prior to this happening all valves were open.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 pm 
Goldfish

Great advice. It worked for me as it did for you. Wish I understood how this change happened.

Thanks for responding.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:21 am 
email admin your custom rank

The center fuel valve between the two fuel systems is meant to be closed for normal operation. This isolates each side so the left tank feeds the left engine and the right tank feeds the right engine. To draw fuel from one tank for the other side engine the center valve would be opened and the valve for the other tank would be closed. For example, if you want to run both engines off of the left tank you would open the center valve and left tank valve, and close the right tank valve.

This "Crossfeed system" may be needed for several situations including:
1. using fuel from one side when you have a known fuel imbalance
2. isolating and not using one tank due to fuel contamination or other issues in that tank
3. A long trip on one engine when the other engine is shut down or may have failed.

Boats may not always float or run perfectly level. Leaving the center valve open and both tank valves open will allow fuel to flow to the tank on the side of the boat that is lower. Even using trim tabs, it is difficult to get the boat to operate perfectly level with the hope of fuel drawing evenly from both tanks. Even if a person could trim the boat perfectly, there are other possible considerations within the fuel system that may cause one side to flow more freely than the others side.

Hope this helps. Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:53 pm 
Goldfish

Thank or the rundown. My quandary was that it had worked reasonably well with all there valves open but stopped after the mechanics had replaced the fuel cell. I've since learned, based on others experience, that leaving the center valve open will not come close to fuel being pulled evenly from each tank. As an aside, my valves are about the tanks and I' not sure fuel would equalize between them. In any case, I'm drawing from both tanks and am a happy camper.

Now I just have thorny AC electrical problems. It's alway something......that would have been a good boat name.

Thanks again for your reply.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 am 
Goldfish

Update: Closing the center valve worked to balance fuel pull UNTIL the tank levels reached 1/2, at which time the starboard engine shut down. Opening the center valve allowed the starboard engine to run. Fuel only pulled from the port tank. Filling the tanks, closing center valve, everything worked. Thought I had posted this early put didn't see it. Sorry if this is a dup post.

Greg