www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:28 am 
Goldfish

2011 V335 (nearly same as V318, they changed that model year). Boat manual says V318).

Overnight on the boat, the 110 power failed at 3 AM. I know this because of the timer on an electric heater that had been running all evening. I am aware of loads I put on the system and this was well within what I typically do and works. At the time of failure a substantive change in power use was extremely unlikely. Green panel light off for house/cabin circuit but AC circuit on (green). I reset all GFI switches, power cycled the breaker switches where shore power enters, as well as the 110 switches on the panel. No results. Powered up the generator and same thing. The only thing I can think of is the power switch on the panel failed. I tried to get to it, but I'd have to take off the entire panel door (the hinged door concept is virtually useless for access) and then the switches are concealed (current code) under an aluminum panel, making a quick power test really out of the question at the time.

Shore power enters the boat via a Y cable to each of the two (AC and House) circuits and one 30 amp shore power cable. I tried to remove the Y connecter early on in the assessment, but it's stuck on the house side. Since the generator would not power the 110 house circuit I eliminated the Y connector as a source of the problem.

As an aside, I doubt a GFI's would be wired to shut down the entire system at the panel.

What an I missing?

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 am 
Goldfish

Thanks to all who viewed this. As it turns out this was not a dual failure but straight shore power socket melt down internally. A fairly routing event. I had not adequately tested the generator power. I assumed that since the green AC power light was not on with the generator powered up that power was not on. I now know it's just a shore power light. My bad.... As an aside, it's a tedious but not difficult fix.

Regards,

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:44 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks for the update. I do Not have an onboard generator, so I did Not respond. I was Thinking it must be the switch that takes shore/gen power and applies it to the ship panel. Glad it was a simple fix for you

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

A few guys in my marina use these plugs to prevent socket melt-down.

http://smartplug.com/why-smartplug/