www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am 
Goldfish

My 2001 298 only came with a bug screen and I cut out circles from a darken pull shade and velcro to hatch rings to shade the AM sunlight. It is a manual night time or daytime ventilation hassle we have lived with. After recent boat shows, I noticed that almost all manufacturers are now using Oceanair shades which has both a bug screen and blackout shade that slides in/out quickly. I bought two (not cheap at around $380 for two, but much cheaper than buying a new boat).

The problem is attaching it to the headliner area around the hatches. The headliner is a thin, but rigid plate of plastic to which the vinyl part is glued. Marine plywood is used as a frame to attach the headliner, but does not cover the areas where the Oceanair shade's attachment points are. In these areas it is anywhere from 1" to 3" of air from the headliner to the fiberglass of the foredeck.

Has anyone attached these Oceanair shades to the headliner? Here are my options:

1) Quick and easy: place double-backed heavy duty tape on perimeter and just screw into the plastic headliner. Problem: how long the tape will last during the heat when not on the boat. My experience is two boat seasons. Then the weight of the shade will pull it from the plastic headliner.

2) More durable: access the space between the headliner and the foredeck. Epoxy and/or screw marine plywood of various thicknesses (1"-3") to the fiberglass at the locations of the shade screw holes. Then screw the shade to these mounting locations.

The problem with number 2 is how do I access that space between the headliner and the fiberglass to place these mounts? FW Customer Service is saying I can access this space by removing the hatch trim ring, which apparently holds the vinyl part of the headliner to the hatch.

Has anyone removed the hatch ring trim before to expose this space between the headliner and the fiberglas.

Thanks,

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:02 pm 
Dolphin

Joe,

I too have the Vista 298 model (2002) and would like to install the same shades. I do not have the answer. The Four Winns folks at the factory have in the past been very helpful with responses to questions via email and by phone. I will see if I can get additional information and recommendations from the factory.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 pm 
Goldfish

Thanks Mike. After playing with these at the boat shows, they will be a great upgrade.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:22 pm 
Dolphin

Joe,

Here is the response from FW:

"We use strips of marine grade ply that are used to attach what we call stretch and staple headliner panels (attached). The headliner panels used are a 1/8" high impact "styrene" or plastic if you will, and the area in question that you're referencing should be no more than a 1" gap.

Unfortunately we are not familiar with the "Oceanair" type screens that you are in reference to, therefore are unable to comment as to whether this will in fact retro-fit."

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:06 pm 
268 Vista

I believe your hatch is made by Lewmar. Not positive though. If so, have you asked them ?

What about OceanAir customer service ?

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:34 pm 
Dolphin

Joe,

I have a .pdf file that include two mechanical drawings of the cabin headliner design and construction.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:09 pm 
Goldfish

Mike - How can I get a copy of the .pdf through this board?

I measured 1-3" from removing the headliner lights. I hope the area around the hatch is only 1".

Cap'n Morgan - they are Lewmar hatches. But the hatch has a sloped area surrounding the hatch that widens as it approached the headliner (about a 1" drop or so). This effectively makes the opening much larger than the hatch. So, you must get a size that covers the slope area or else you get holes.

Bought the hatches at Ahoy Captain in Northern NJ at the Annapolis boat show. They recommend attaching to something hard. I had to return the first set I bought because they were a bit too small.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 am 
Dolphin

Joe,

I have not seen any method for attachments.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:02 pm 
Dolphin

Joe,

A thought would be to take down the head liner and add supporting blocks of wood (epoxy to underside of deck) in areas where you would need backing for the shade mounting screws.

The existing hatches are 22" round Lewmar part/model number 392229910. For additional information on the hatch you can reach Lewmar at 800-362-7212.

The shades currently used on the 318 Vista (attached) are manufactured by Pompanette, Inc. (SHADE SCREEN GSB 1139V-3.5), & (SHADE SCREEN GSB 1170V-3.5).

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:53 pm 
Goldfish

Mike,

The big secret is how to take down the headliner. According to FW Customer Service (Brian Lackie) and my own experience on other projects, taking down the headliner on the 298 is no easy task -requiring not just removing the headliner screws, but removing the storage cabinets on both sides of the saloon, since they are used to mount the ends of the headliner. Then there is the wood frame to which the headliner mounts.

The FW advice is to access the headliner space below the foredeck fiberglas by removing the hatch trim rings. Don't know if that works, but if it allows access to that area, as I said in my original post, I plan on placing marine plywood blocks as backing for the screws.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:12 pm 
Dolphin

Joe,

That was going to be my next suggestion. Do us a favor and keep everyone posted on this project and take photo's.

Does anyone know how to upload a .pdf document?

Thanks - Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:20 am 
Mental Floss

Mike I can reference the whole project on the Boat-projects.com site I've been trying to put together. I have asked several here about suppling a write up and pictures of the projects they have completed but as yet I have received nothing.

I envisioned it as a companion site to this one to be used as a clearinghouse for project type info. Many post the info here but after a while those projects can be hard to find. One stop shop with diagrams, photos and detailed instructions.

Write it, photograph it, I'll post it!

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"