www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 pm 
Hi all.....looking at buying a 2000 298 Vista....the current owner does not use the starboard tank because it has sediment, and runs both engines on the port fuel tank. I called a couple places and they can do very limited fuel tank cleaning (very expensive), but say that tank cleaning is not 100 percent because of the baffles inside the tank, they would have to pull the sending unit off top of the tank and can only reach the center. Has anyone physically or know for a fact....are the fuel tanks metal with baffles or plastic? I've read over the manual and no where does it talk about the tank material or baffles. Worst case scenario is replacing the fuel tank, but would require the engine to be pulled....so says the shop manager. Beginning to wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze here....lol. Thanks in advance for tips or advice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:26 pm 
268 Vista

They are aluminum fuel tanks in the 298. Might want to move on to another potential boat.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Tank is plastic, and I’d be surprised if it had baffles in it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 am 
268 Vista

alex8q4 wrote:
Tank is plastic, and I’d be surprised if it had baffles in it.

Page 43 of the brochure seems to indicate they are aluminum.
ENGINE COMPARTMENT
• Bilge blower
• Bilge pump, automatic
• Batteries (3)
• Battery charger/converter (30 amp)
• Color-coded wiring w/chafe protection
• Insulated engine compartment
• Power trim and tilt
• Remote oil filters
Twin aluminum fuel tanks w/crossover
system

• Water heater (10.5 gallon)

http://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/2017/2 ... g-2004.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:56 am 

Odd... parts break down shows plastic.

My 268 had a plastic tank, but for the life of me recall what’s in my 288.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 am 
Livin' the Dream

the 2000 brochure just shows "twin fuel tanks with crossover system" for the 298, doesn't describe what it is made of. But the 328 and larger all show the tank constructed of aluminum.... def odd

http://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/2017/2 ... g-2000.pdf

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 pm 

Chief boatswain's mate ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 pm 

Our 2001 Four Winns 328 has aluminum fuel tanks.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:23 pm 
268 Vista

alex8q4 wrote:
Odd... parts break down shows plastic.

My 268 had a plastic tank, but for the life of me recall what’s in my 288.

The 288 also has aluminum fuel tanks. Old link from a guy having
engine troubles on his 2006 288 Vista. He mentions it has Aluminum tanks.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/ ... &styleid=7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 am 
Clownfish

I would pull the sending unit (fuel gauge) out and use a mirror and flashlight to look in tank. Confirm sediment. Also there are flexible pencil cameras that can see in the tank. It should be very clean and shinny. Clear.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:22 pm 
Goldfish

Jumping in late here. I have a 2001 V298. The only difference with the 2000 is cosmetic. Mine are definitely plastic. Which is better for ethanol gas.

Someone had poured water in my Stbd fuel tank and I had to have the tank sucked dry. It wasn’t cheap, but insurance covered this vandalism. Since water is heavier than fuel they had to be able to reach the bottom of the tank. When they did that, I would think it would also suck up most of the sediment.

I replaced both fuel level sensors with a float type rather than the swing type. I looked into the tank and no baffles. BTW- The fuel pickup is 0.5 in off the bottom. Which means about 2 gal of fuel per tank is unuseable 4 gal total).

I cannot imagine how you can operate the boat on a single tank. The weight unbalance would list the boat when you have full 35 gal in port , your range is reduced and on plane fuel performance is worst because you will use the trim tabs to level the boat. This induces needless drag and And if you have a generator, the fuel source is the Stbd tank.

You are therefore buying less of a boat with poor performance. If the seller does not lower his price to compensate you for putting the Stbd tank back in service - walk away.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:43 am 
Shark

joetallyho wrote:
Jumping in late here. I have a 2001 V298. The only difference with the 2000 is cosmetic. Mine are definitely plastic. Which is better for ethanol gas.

Someone had poured water in my Stbd fuel tank and I had to have the tank sucked dry. It wasn’t cheap, but insurance covered this vandalism. Since water is heavier than fuel they had to be able to reach the bottom of the tank. When they did that, I would think it would also suck up most of the sediment.

I replaced both fuel level sensors with a float type rather than the swing type. I looked into the tank and no baffles. BTW- The fuel pickup is 0.5 in off the bottom. Which means about 2 gal of fuel per tank is unuseable 4 gal total).

I cannot imagine how you can operate the boat on a single tank. The weight unbalance would list the boat when you have full 35 gal in port , your range is reduced and on plane fuel performance is worst because you will use the trim tabs to level the boat. This induces needless drag and And if you have a generator, the fuel source is the Stbd tank.

You are therefore buying less of a boat with poor performance. If the seller does not lower his price to compensate you for putting the Stbd tank back in service - walk away.

Joe

How did you get to the tank to replace the sensors? I have been living in my 01's engine bay for a while....lol. I guess I have never noticed access to those tanks. Also just curious does your generator have a fuel filter on it? Mine does not kohler 5E.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:35 pm 
Goldfish

Hi -For a VISTA 298 ‘01 vintage, you have to be thin. Port tank - under cockpit sink, the back panel is removable. If it is carpeted you might not see the screws. You have to push away the carpet threads to find them. You will see the top of the tank and the tank level sensor. Note carefully the screw pattern on top of the sender. It is not symmetrical.

The Stbd fuel tank is accessible by removing the aft cabin wall locker on the Stbd side. Remove the door assembly first, then pull out the plastic bin. The fuel sender is to the right. I replaced the senders with WEMA float where a float rides up and down sender core.

I have opened this section many times to route new steering cables, new RG-6Q TV cable, GPS antenna cable, speaker wire, radar power and NMEA 2000 cables.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 am 

Good 298 info - thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:51 am 
Shark

joetallyho wrote:
Hi -For a VISTA 298 ‘01 vintage, you have to be thin. Port tank - under cockpit sink, the back panel is removable. If it is carpeted you might not see the screws. You have to push away the carpet threads to find them. You will see the top of the tank and the tank level sensor. Note carefully the screw pattern on top of the sender. It is not symmetrical.

The Stbd fuel tank is accessible by removing the aft cabin wall locker on the Stbd side. Remove the door assembly first, then pull out the plastic bin. The fuel sender is to the right. I replaced the senders with WEMA float where a float rides up and down sender core.

I have opened this section many times to route new steering cables, new RG-6Q TV cable, GPS antenna cable, speaker wire, radar power and NMEA 2000 cables.

Joe

Cool thanks, I have to route alot of cables to helm anyways. Guess i will be in there soon.