www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:17 am 
email admin your custom rank

Ok, here's the long and short of it. I took my vista to a well reputed boat mechanic to get an air conditioner/heat intstalled. The only location to add this unit is in the mid cabin in one of the storage lockers. Only one small problem however. In coverstation with the factory, the doors and panel that are on the front of it are installed prior to them putting the two boat pieces together (hull and deck). My mechanic can not figure out how to remove that panel. I know what you guys are thinking, "what kind of mechanic is he then". This guy is very very well respected but he's never worked on a Four Winns.

Has anyone added air conditioning themself and if so, did you take that panel off? How did you do it? Any other advice?

Thanks

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:22 pm 

I am going to be doing the install in a few weeks. I have read Vista Al's install sheet that he made up. It doesnt specify how to remove the cabinet, only that it has to come out.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:24 pm 

We Woggy,
I just got done removing the cabinet. What a pain in the ass. I didnt take any pictures, but, I wouldnt let anyone other than a Four Winns dealer do that. It is in there really tight. I removed the cushions and the upper aft piece of ceiling/ bulkhead from the cabin. Then I took off the doors to the cabinet. Just a few small screws. Next it was onto the three angle brackets inside the cabinet that attach it to the floor. After that, its all pulling and pushing. First I pushed the bottom in a little, the I pulled the top out a little. Then I repeated that about a hundred times till it came out. You actually have to take it out at an angle. The top comes forward towards you and the bottom goes in away from you. At the same time you have to push the headliner material in because it gets all bunched up and you dont want to rip that.
Well I will try to fill you in with more as I go. I will also try to post some pictures. Cant wait till that cabinet has to go back in. Al shaved his down to ease that part of it.
Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:35 am 

OH LORD, the saga continues.

The guy is scared to death to remove those cabinet doors and panel for fear of tearing the upholstery on the aft and bow sides of the panel. One option he suggested is that we cut the panel in half with it actually still in the boat becuase he's going to replace most of that aft door with a cold air return anyways. We would then make an upholstery cover of some sort to cover the opening.

I'm about ready to tell him I will remove the dang panel myself or go ahead and try to remove it and if the upholstery tears, it tears and we'll patch it at that point.

Ugghhh!!!

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:42 pm 

Its not that bad. I used a plastic scraper as a guide on the sides so it wouldnt rip anything. I definatley wouldnt cut the cabinet in half though. There is only one bracket that holds the aft section in place if you do that. The return air grill should mount where the door is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:53 am 

I am about ready to tell the guy that I will come down and remove the damn piece myself. Then he can get to the install. I think he is just so worried that it's going to be such a headache to install because of the close tollerances that he keep putting it off.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN