www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:26 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

I am the first guy to have a full synthetic teak cocpit... I may well be the first guy to have a real marine genset too!

I decided lat last night that I want a real marine genset. The LOGICAL choice is the Westerbeke 3.0 gas which has the smallest form factor of any generator, weighs in at 165lbs and puts out 3.0KW at full load (more than enough to run everything on the 248!).

So my plan is to eliminate my hot water heater and replace it with a much smaller "instant" 110V heater and all the space I will gain to port side will be where the Westerbeke will live. This is not a chore for the faint of heart, the price for the genset is approx $5400.00 and that does NOT include the lift muffler, thru hulls, strainer, anti siphon fuel tap etc.. But you know what? It's WORTH it! To be able to run the generator all the time (even while moving) charging batteries, running the AC etc etc.. Plus I am adding more value to the resell of the boat AND I won't feel the need to sell it and get a 318 next season :) Honestly the 248 is a perfect size for me and the only main complaints I've ever had was A: Lack of a generator and B: Lack of a radar arch, and I am going to remedy both of those issues! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:18 pm 
Whatever

That would be the ultimate, but alot of coin for upgrade from the honda.

Pros: out of the way
can run anywhere, anytime

Cons: will always make noise and vibration that you will notice inside the cabin vs. a portable that can be moved to the beach.
$$$$$

Good luck and keep us posted

BTW, I finially got some poor photos of how I mount and haul our honda on the swim deck post in thread where you asked about it. Not as nice as having a permenant gen set mounted in the engine compartment.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:45 pm 
email admin your custom rank

windlass, synthetic teak cockpit, electric winch on trailer, generator, radar arch???

You are going to have no time to ride while installing all of this and no money for gas :mrgreen:

On a serious note it sounds like an awesome idea. I am looking forward to all of these projects unveiling. What are u planning on doing for a radar arch?

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:44 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Powell,

Do a google search for "Westerbeke 3.0KW" and click on the video that comes up, an install in a Bayliner 28 express. When the engine hatch is closed, you honestly can't hear the thing. It runs at 2200RPM maximum it's a twin cylinder and it is supposed to be the most quiet gen set out there, it doesn't even need a sound sheild.

Walt,

I am not sure what to do about an arch... I have to put A LOT more research into that one..

I was looking at boats again last night and I could buy a new Doral Venezio for about 145K with a 300 horse GiDP with a genset and a partial hard top, it's not any longer (few inches) but has a 9'4" beam. But why get rid of a great pocket cruiser when what I really want is a real gen set and an arch? These are both things I can do to my 248 and for a hell of a lot less than 150K! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:41 pm 
Dolphin

Brett, you remind me of Al, soon after finishing all his wonderful projects on his 268 Vista sold it and purchased a bigger boat! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:50 pm 

Thats what I was thinking Fred.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:08 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Well I have to be honest and say "if I could afford it" I would be in a larger boat for sure.. I have always had my eye on a 36 through 42' Silverton Convertible, or a Mainship 40 Trawler. But those are not items I can afford I just am not at that level yet in my life.

I LOVE my 248, it's my PRIDE and my JOY, and I've only ever had a very few small complaints about it. I've always wanted a radar arch or an arch/hard top combo and I've wanted a genset from day one (FW blew it with this one...) and these are things that I can do. Sure the genset will be expensive to do, probably just over six thousand for everything I need to install it. But how nice would it be to have a genset rather than a generator, to not have to worry about a thosand dollar generator falling OB, to be able to run on AC power even while the boat is underway.

The genset is a real possibility and I am going forth with it. I am confident that I can handle the install, I just need to confirm once my hot water tank is axed that I will have sufficient room (fairly certain I will). The arch is a whole other story, I really want a fiberglass or aluminum OEM style arch but there are no companies you can order them from. All I can do is hope I come across an OEM arch for another boat and hope I can "make it work" or have a custom stainless tube arch built by Atlantic. I am not real fond of tube arches but if I have no other options I might consider going that route and having the arch powdercoated white to match the boat.

I also look at it like this, all these mods are top notch, high dollar OEM level stuff. I am WAY "rightside up" on my boat right now and everything I add, increases it's book value if I were to sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:06 am 
wkearney99

Hmm, I'd wonder about added value. Don't get me wrong, but at some point you're putting more into the boat with little chance of recovering it through resale. Small boats, no matter how "well equipped" just aren't going to hold value. Hell, even larger boats take a helluva depreciation hit. But then again, if adding the stuff is fun and increases your enjoyment of the boat then go for it. Just don't kid yourself about the resale "value" of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:29 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

These things add value for me and at the end of the day that is, the only thing that matters. But FWIW, I have profited on th e sale or trade of each boat I've owner, and I have far less invested into my 248 than it's book value.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:45 am 
268 Vista

Fred 248 Vista wrote:
Brett, you remind me of Al, soon after finishing all his wonderful projects on his 268 Vista sold it and purchased a bigger boat! :lol:

+2 . I can see the same scenario developing here too.

Speaking of Al, he is feverishly adding new things to his Carver. He will be running out of things to do at this pace. You know what comes next....... :lol:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:53 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

I would agree with those saying I would go the route Al took but there is one caveat. I won't buy an older boat so it has to be within two to three years old. And I can't afford it.. I just looked at an 04 42' Silverton Convertible it was 350K for an 04..... Sorry not gonna happen.. I can't comfortably afford that kind of debt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:32 pm 
Dolphin

Hi Brett,

I think you're really going to enjoy that generator. I just looked at the specs on it and wish I had that one instead of the 4kw kohler in mine. Don't get me wrong, the Kohler's nice but it's a little louder than I would like it to be. Anyway, yours running at only 2200 rpm should really make it quiet!

On the radar arch issue, I think you have the right idea on having Atlantic build you a tube arch if you can't find something else that works. I wanted to add one to my 278 and could buy the FW arch if I ever found one, but that adds 2' to the height and doesn't fold - I only have 5" of clearance above the windshield under my shop doors:( I figured I would have to go with a tube arch that folds down. I bought an arch from a charter guy in RI with the intent of making it work on mine. I fabbed aluminum hinge plates that mount where the factory arch goes and started to cut down and lengthen the tubes where necessary. The only issue I have with the current design is getting into the boat with the arch folded down assuming the hinge at the deck. So to remedy this I plan to have the arch fold at a higher point so that when folded it will sit just below the windshield height in a horizontal position. That way I can board easier by ducking underneath it.

Keep us posted on your progress, and btw - nice job on the synthetic teak too!

Joe

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:19 pm 
wkearney99

Tell me about louder, our Kohler 5E makes a danged racket. At some point I really want to get on someone else's 348/358 and make a comparison. I'm convinced better mounting would work to decrease the noise level. Trouble is, it'll be a royal PITA to get it unmounted to get new mounts under it. I'm torn between wanting to improve the situation and avoiding the supreme hassle of the job.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:48 pm 

Bill our Gen is not bad when you are up top. You can barely hear it. Now when you are in the cabin it is a little louder. I think our AC makes more noise then our Gen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:00 pm 
Dolphin

Bill,

Mine is also pretty quiet. I barely notice when it is running. Is yours in a hush box? Mine is and the only real hint that it is running is a slight vibration you can feel in the deck of the cockpit.

Ben