www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Last year when I took out the batteries for layup, I did NOT pay attention to if the wire for the battery charger went to the negative or positive post... Can somebody with a 258 Vista with a factory charger let me know if it goes to the negative or pos?

2 years ago when I put the batteries back in, I went to put the wire on the post, and it POPPED and sparked all over the place, so I put it on the opposing post but I dont remember which battery post was the correct one. Funny thing is: I think I remember saying in my head "Man, the wire from the battery charger is black- thats stupid- because it isnt negative"... because it popped and sparked. I then proceeded to hook it up to the proper side of the battery and had a good battery charging summer 8)

BUT my memory isnt so clear this year. And I could've imagined that...lol. Im afraid to hook it up to the wrong post and do damage to the battery and/or charger. Its 2 black wires bundled together, presumably that way from the factory, with a single lead that I screw onto the post of the battery. The wires go directly to the battery charger, and there are wires on the battery charger that go back to ??? There is NO indication anywhere of the battery charger wires coming to the battery being pos or neg...so Im hoping somebody can help me out here.. :D

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:50 pm 
Goldfish

I just brought my 258 home last night from storage. I'm hoping to install the batteries tomorrow so I'll let you know. I would think though, if there's only one lead, that it would go to the positive terminal with the system being grounded elsewhere. Don't trust me on that just yet though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:21 pm 
Mental Floss

The chargers charge from the positive side. They can get grounded to the battery but generally are tied into the grounding system with the rest of the electrical system

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:37 pm 

I will wait to hear confirmation from you, TSR (or anybody else with a 258!) . I have NO idea why Four Winns would make a wire designed to go to the positive post of a battery black?? Thats just retarded. You'd think they would make it easy to figure out so you dont make a spark and go boom-boom :roll: I guess Four Winns figures if you blow up your boat, you have to go back and buy a new boat from them (hopefully you arent in pieces) lolol.

Any which way, I would like actual confirmation before I flip the battery charger breaker and screw something up big time....TSR - the pressure is on :D

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:20 am 
Mental Floss

Here is the link for the 1999 258 Vista Wiring diagram http://www.valichenterprises.com/misc/vista258_99_wiring_diagram.pdf Four Winns url to the info wouldn't work. Just as an FYI, all the Owners Manauls are available at the Four Winns website.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:44 am 
268 Vista

Technologic80 wrote:
. I have NO idea why Four Winns would make a wire designed to go to the positive post of a battery black??

Four Winns does not design the battery chargers, nor the wires on them. Your question would be better directed to the manufacturer. Guest possibly ?

OEM cruiser models do not come equipped with circuit breakers and
are intended to be wired into a fused buss panel by a qualified boat manufacturer. ABYC
standards for fusing the positive leg of the charging system within 6 inches of the battery
must be followed when installing these chargers.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:59 am 

Yes, but Four Winns DOES install the battery chargers and you would definately agree with me that if it is Positive, it should definately be labeled or indicated. Because right now the wires are black, all the way up to the battery charger.

Either way, right now it is hooked up to the negative post :shock: THANK GOD I havent hooked up shorepower yet! I will switch it to positive first chance I get.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:50 pm 
Goldfish

Just put the batteries in...it appears my charger's wire(s) are connected to the negative terminal. As you can see, there's a bundle of black wires but I wasn't able to trace them back to the charger (at least not tonight). The single red wire with the main positive cable traces back to another device. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:26 pm 

Thanks TSR! That is the same battery charger I have, and although the wire bundles are slightly different (it appears you have wired an addtl accessory in), I will keep the black wires on the negative.

THANKS A MILLION!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

379 hours as of 8/8/21