www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:01 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

I think I am going to add this to my to do list this season, along with a Genset.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'd love to do a genset in my 298 but DANG.... they run around 10K up here. :shock:
For now I'll stick with the portable.

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:24 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

If you pay to have it installed you will spend 10K easily. I will do the labor myself and I've found Westerbeke 3.0KW gensets new on the web for 5 grand, you then of course need the remote panel, harness, siphon break, exhaust hose, lift muffler, raw water thru hull/strainer and the exhaust thru hull.

I think I can do a Westerbeke for 7K with my own labor, I don't think I can shoe horn a Kohler 5.0ECD into the starboard side of my 248 and the Kohler is a good 2K more money. Either way I am going to have to ditch the 21 gallon fresh water tank and move it to the mid cabin where the gray water tank would be and I will lose some capacity since only a 16 gallon tank fits in the mid cabin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:56 pm 

Brett.... thats 10K for the unit only. Don't forget I'm paying in Canadian dollars :(
I would definitely do the install myself so its 10K+ for the unit, then probably around another $1500-$2000 CDN for everything else needed.
Oh ya, then add 13% tax to everything and I'm looking at around $13,500.00
OUCH!

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:50 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

OUCH! Indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 pm 

planealternative wrote:
I'd love to do a genset in my 298 but DANG.... they run around 10K up here. :shock:
For now I'll stick with the portable.

Look for a used one... thats how I got it in my budget.

planealternative wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Are the bulbs in these little lights replaceable? If one fails, how will it be replaced?

The "Microstars" are single LED's so they have a life span of (+-)50,000 hours and they're sealed in a stainless housing.
Even if something should happen to one of them, they are friction fit into a rubber grommet in the hole.
It would be easy enough to pull the bad one out and splice in a new one.
The other cool thing is that they are available in colors.

I dont see where they mention colors....

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:31 pm 

planealternative wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Are the bulbs in these little lights replaceable? If one fails, how will it be replaced?

The "Microstars" are single LED's so they have a life span of (+-)50,000 hours and they're sealed in a stainless housing.
Even if something should happen to one of them, they are friction fit into a rubber grommet in the hole.
It would be easy enough to pull the bad one out and splice in a new one.
The other cool thing is that they are available in colors.

I dont see where they mention colors....[/quote]

Heres the spec sheet.... I think colors are special order.

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:18 pm 
wkearney99

From their website it appears the microstars are 7/8 deep. This is going to make for rather tricky installation into the railings. There's not going to be a lot of room to get the light in there fully, let alone with the wire bent into the back of it.

I've seen bow rails with lights on what I think was a Doral. I wonder what lighting supplier they used?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:31 pm 

Thats 7/8" deep overall. With these you install the grommet into the hole and then slide the LED unit into the grommet.
So it would be 7/8" less the thickness of the flange, less the thickness of the grommet. I don't have one in front of me but I'm guessing overall would be around 11/16" to 3/4".
The company I bought these from uses them in 1" diameter handrails in commercial applications.
I'll be heading up to the boat to do the install in two weeks so I'll post my results then.

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 pm 

PA or 248Vista,

Have any of you guys gotten around to doing this? Looking forward to seeing the results.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:56 pm 

I have not as of yet. The weather this past weekend sucked and this coming weekend I have to help a friend bring their boat in. Hopefully I will get to it. It is much easier to do these things when the boat is at home in the driveway instead of an hour away.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:06 pm 

I went up to the boat this past weekend (5 hour drive) to start the installation. I got the holes drilled and test fit the LED's which will work just fine but thats as far as I got. I realized that the 18/2 wire I purchased was to heavy to work within the confines of the 3/8" holes. I plan to get 22/2 wire and attempt the installation again in a couple of weeks.

What I have learned so far is to use Cobalt drill bits and starting at 1/8", 'step drill' in the smallest increments possible all the way to 3/8". It's best to use cutting oil but somewhat difficult as you are drilling up.

Also, for anyone who was concerned about these LED's fitting into a 1" tube..... if you use the grommet technique, they fit great. I would suggest using a little silicone when installing the LED into the grommet for a little extra holding power.

More info to come..... when I complete the installation.
Cheers.

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:19 pm 

planealternative wrote:
I went up to the boat this past weekend (5 hour drive) to start the installation. I got the holes drilled and test fit the LED's which will work just fine but thats as far as I got. I realized that the 18/2 wire I purchased was to heavy to work within the confines of the 3/8" holes. I plan to get 22/2 wire and attempt the installation again in a couple of weeks.

What I have learned so far is to use Cobalt drill bits and starting at 1/8", 'step drill' in the smallest increments possible all the way to 3/8". It's best to use cutting oil but somewhat difficult as you are drilling up.

Also, for anyone who was concerned about these LED's fitting into a 1" tube..... if you use the grommet technique, they fit great. I would suggest using a little silicone when installing the LED into the grommet for a little extra holding power.

More info to come..... when I complete the installation.
Cheers.

Any progress? I have the lights in hand, but havent started yet.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:48 pm 

I started the install and in one day, installed all of the wire and all but 2 LED's. That was about 3 weeks ago and I've been working on a feature film 7 days a week since. We finish on June 24th so shortly thereafter I'll be heading up to complete the job. All in all I think it's a 2 day job and I will post pictures when complete.
I think I'll have the month of July off so we're planning a 2 week trip to the North Channel in Georgian Bay. 8)

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:39 pm 

Ok... just got back from 2 weeks of boating bliss in Georgian Bay and the North Channel of Lake Huron.
Before we departed, I had a couple of hours to complete the LED install in the bow rail and here are the pictures of the LED's in action.
I'm also adding some pic's of the trip. :D :D :D

:D :D :D

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next