www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:16 pm 
wkearney99

Another user asked me how to get the starboard cockpit seat out, in order to gain better access to the vacuum pump. I've posted some pix on photobucket.

As an aside, it really helps everyone when questions and their answers are posted in the forums instead of via private messages.

First thing is remove the forward seat back. Then lift up and remove the hinges underneath that seat. This is what it'll look like when that seat is out:
(note, I didn't remove the forward seat base, I should have as it would've made the last step a lot easier).

Then do the same thing with the starboard seat back and base. The back is attached to the gunwale with screws (four, iirc). They're buried tight inside the seam. Once those screws are out the whole L-shaped back lifts straight up and out. A task made MUCH easier if two people are involved. Then you remove the hinges to the base and you're left with this:

Once you have the seats out you can remove the inward upright side of the starboard seating base. There's a couple of screws holding it down around the perimeter. Once they're out you then have to open the engine hatch. Once the hatch is open you can lift the whole assembly (front face and attached shelf) straight up. You REALLY want to have two people for this as it's pretty heavy. You'll need to cut a bead of caulk holding it down along the forward edge where it meets the engine compartment (and reapply when you put it back). When you remove the assembly you'll then be able to see the engine compartment:

This will let you have much better access to the hot water heater, vacuum pump, trim tab pump, waste tank filter, and the outside of the starboard engine.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:24 pm 
Sierra

Great detail Bill. Wow - that's a lot of work. I'd sooner get a new boat :lol:

Would you consider copying to the V348/358 thread? It would be great to have in the "master" file.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:52 pm 
wkearney99

Sierra wrote:
Great detail Bill. Wow - that's a lot of work. I'd sooner get a new boat :lol:
Would you consider copying to the V348/358 thread? It would be great to have in the "master" file.

Yeah, it was a bit of work. But considering how horrible the dealer is it was either do it myself or run the risk of not having the boat for a month. And then get it back with the job done poorly. I'm cursed with being handy so it wasn't a big deal.

I've copied the message over to the other thread, fine idea.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Bill: what situation/problem caused you to do this? Hope I don't have to!! Unrelated - how do you embed/copy pix into your posts?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:58 pm 

Sure looks like a water heater change in progress.

Too bad there isn't a similar access on the port side. I'm thinking a generator change will require pulling an engine or cutting some fiberglass.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:20 pm 
wkearney99

jrcinnh wrote:
Sure looks like a water heater change in progress. Too bad there isn't a similar access on the port side. I'm thinking a generator change will require pulling an engine or cutting some fiberglass.

Yes, it was the water heater job. It split right at the seam for the inbound cold line. No proof but I'm convinced it was due to shoddy winterization by the dealer (other things split too, like the shower mixer). The factory stepped up the plate and supplied me with the parts, quickly shipped. As I suggested, it was better to make ME happy than to have my attorney made happy also.

The hassle is the tank is just about 3/4" too large to slide out whole. But it's round inside the square housing. So I disassembled it down there and removed it piecemeal. I installed the new one the same way. Again, it was either do it myself or roll the dice on dealer performance. Not a gamble I really wanted to take any more (or ever again, for that matter).

Yes, R&R on the genset is going to be a huge pain in the ass. But I don't think it would require cutting any decking. The whole engine compartment lid comes off (using a forklift) and then the exhaust hoses would have to get removed. The genset would the slide over could be picked up (by the aforementioned forklift, of course). This is among the many reasons I got an extended warranty on it, along with the basic plan from FW. At least it will only be time consuming, not a money pit. But it's not going to fail, right?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:33 am 

Who did you get the extended warranty with? And how long does this cover you.