www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:55 am 
email admin your custom rank

Gents,

I have the boat out of the water this week, waxing (3M 3 step system works great) it and doing general maintenance. I wanted to replace the fuel lines since I am getting a gas smell in the cabin. Plus, I'm sure it's never been done and it's past time.

My question is, after trying to twist every which way, I can't figure out how to get up in the area where the supply line and vent line are attached to the filler neck. I had hoped that I could just detach the gas cap assembly from the outside and pull the line out, but that doesn't seem possible.

Has anyone attempted this? How did you do it? My gut tells me that I have to remove the fresh water holding tank. Is there an easier way?

Craig C.
2003 248, VP 5.0 GXi, DP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:15 pm 

Can't help you on this one. Hopefully someone whose done it will chime in. Now I feel the need to change mine since we have the same boat.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:05 pm 
Dolphin

mcraigchr

If the 248 is laid out like my 268 there may be a way. I just had my aft interior seats and seat backs out running wiring for a nuetra salt syatem, there were two good size holes in the gunwale that I could get up to my elbow in. Should have been able to reach the filler and vent from there. Hope you have luck this way.

If you try this you will have to look real close for some of the attachment screws FW used on the seat backs. They put a small hole in the vinyl and ran a screw through the seatback into the gunwale. Not really impressed with this.

9BALL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:07 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Where the filler cushion goes in for the U-Shaped lounge, if you take that seat back off (held on at the bottom with a phillips screw) then slide the seat back upward and then there is a huge hole in the gunwhale behind the seat back.

Woolah! Hole!

And FW did not run a screw through the vinyl on my 248, there is an aluminum "Tab" built into the seat back, the screw goes through the tab and into the gunwhale.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:58 am 
Dolphin

Brett248Vista wrote:
Where the filler cushion goes in for the U-Shaped lounge, if you take that seat back off (held on at the bottom with a phillips screw) then slide the seat back upward and then there is a huge hole in the gunwhale behind the seat back.

Woolah! Hole!

And FW did not run a screw through the vinyl on my 248, there is an aluminum "Tab" built into the seat back, the screw goes through the tab and into the gunwhale.

Brett:

The tabs were on mine also, screw through fabric too. Your seat colors are the same as ours. GO STEELERS

9BALL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:20 am 
Dolphin

Brett: clarification, the screw through the fabric was in the wrap around seat back, don't know if they dyd that with the 248's

9BALL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:54 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

9Ball,

They may have! I never looked back there.. What the heck are you doing to your transom and what's the big metal plate for? Consider me curious! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:36 pm 
Dolphin

Brett248Vista wrote:
9Ball,

They may have! I never looked back there.. What the heck are you doing to your transom and what's the big metal plate for? Consider me curious! :)

Brett:

From a post I put up here several months ago I was chasing a gear lube monitpor leak. That plate you see is an access hatch I made and installed to get to the transom plate where the geal lube hose attaches. Without removing that part of the transom my arms would have had to be about a foot longer to reach what was needed to be worked on.

The hatch I made was of 1/8" stainless plate, stainless piano hinge, marine grade latch and red rubber gasket material set in place with 3M weather strip adhesive.

There is now access to some grease fittings and the trim tab pump resevoir, power steering cooler and more.

I was chastised for not posting pix of that project, but have since figured it out.

West Marine sells several different size access hatches that could be used instead of my creation. Don't know why FW doesn't install these at the factory.

9BALL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:04 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Very good work 9!

Maybe I'm weird but I kind of like it with the open transom :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:27 pm 

Brett248Vista wrote:

Woolah! Hole!

*Exactly* what I was wanting to see. You da man! Thanks!

New fuel lines next weekend. Then ... new water hoses. :-)

That's what I like about a boat. There's always something to do.

Craig C.

Craig C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:35 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

Craig,

Yeah there is certainly always something to do to it... Usually an expensive something... :)

Break

Out

Another

Thousand