www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:12 pm 
Shark

Has anyone ever tested their high water alarm switch in a 268 Vista? I have noticed that the "upper switch" located between the stringers by the water heater does nothing when activated. The switch itself tests fine when isolated but there is no power to it either in a static condition or with either the engine bilge float switch or the dash mounted float switch activated. The bilge pump works fine from either switch as does the run light.
There are two orange and brown wires going to the alarm switch. The wiring diagrams don't show this detail so it is hard to trouble shoot. For that matter I am assuming it is an alarm switch. I suppose it could be a back up pump switch but it does not work regardless.
Does anyone know for sure that this is an alarm switch? Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot the circuit?

Previous Boat:
97 278 Vista - Buoy Howdy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:33 pm 
Clownfish

Going from memory on my previous boat (2004 Vista 268), I remember that switch going to a high level alarm and nothing else. Very similar to my current Vista 358's design. Water accumulation at the higher bilge level would mean that the bilge was filling with water and the bilge pump was not keeping up or not functioning. If not already done, I'd check the fuse/circuit breaker for proper power to the switch and the helm "buzzer". Once you verify voltage at the switch, jumper across it to test the alarm and potentially identify high resistance on the switch contacts. Hope this helps.

2007 Vista 358

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:13 pm 
Shark

Thanks for the input Paul. The bilge breaker is not tripped. I assume that the alarm would be on the same circuit. If it uses the same alarm as the low oil pressure warning then I know that works. I guess if all else fails I can just run new wire. I will continue chasing circuits next weekend.

Previous Boat:
97 278 Vista - Buoy Howdy