www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waste tank level?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

How can I tell the level of my waste tank? I don't have tank level indicators and it doesn't appear that I can physically see the tank from the engine compartment. Is there some other location to get a visual on the tank?

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject: Re: Waste tank level?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:42 am 

As far as I know you have to lift up the mattress in the aft cabin and look in the compartments. I found out that is what Bliss36 does. I know I couldn't do that! We have both fresh and black water indicators.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:38 pm 
Dolphin

Guinnydog wrote:
How can I tell the level of my waste tank? I don't have tank level indicators and it doesn't appear that I can physically see the tank from the engine compartment. Is there some other location to get a visual on the tank?

Rod

Rod,
On my 2006 V278 the black water tank is under the aft cabin mattress (on the starboard side of the compartment). Mine has a cutout in the plywood floor of the bed (on the starboard half - about 2 feet wide and 3 feet long that is directly above the tank). I have taken up this carpet covered plywood sheet (screwed in) to physically look at the tank after emptying to ensure it was indeed empty. The tank isn't see through but you can see the shadow of the water level well enough to know how full it is (I shine a flashlight at the tank to help see it better). The fresh water tank is on the right side of the compartment but I couldn't get the plywood floor removed on that side as it seems the plywood sheet is covered by the A/C cabinet and I didn't want to get into removing it. I'm not sure if the previous owner cut out the access panel for easier access to the black water tank side or if it came from the factory like that. I do have the water level meters but wanted to check the tanks also to ensure no leaks at the hose connectors. Unfortunately not an easy way to check but if you have the cutout (or cut a section if needed) you could just put a couple of screws back in when assembling and it shouldn't be too much effort to remove once in a while.

Good luck!

"Heart's Content II"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:48 am 
wkearney99

If you decide to add a tank sensor I'd strongly encourage you to consider spending the extra money and go with the kind that fits on the outside of the tank. The in-tank sensors are a hassle. The column-style from Xintex are to be avoided, especially in the waste tank. The float-style, from companies like Dometic/Sealand, are less-worse in that the wave action of the boat will help prevent waste from collecting on them. But the better solution is the kind that use a foil pickup on the outside of the tank to sense the level. With that kind you never have to deal with in-tank clogging issues or leaks from the sensors. When my Xintex ones failed I made the mistake of letting the factory give me a set of Dometic ones. They're "less worse" but still have their problems (like leaks from where the sensors are plugged through the tank). Next time I'll go with the external type instead.

I don't know which brand of foil sensor I'd go with, but will certainly research it when the time comes. Meanwhile I just maintain a plan that says pump out after every time we've gone out and someone used the tank, regardless of how many times or what they did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:12 am 
268 Vista

We have the SCAD Technologies Solo tank monitor on our boat when we bought it. Very happy with how well it works. Our 268 did not have a tank monitor, and wish it did. You can get the unit that comes with 5 feet of aluminum sensor foil and one capacitance external sensor module, plus the display, for about $140. They also have a Profile series, that can monitor up to 8 tanks with an LCD display that can be switcheed to monitor each tank individually.

This is the display for the Profile model.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:07 am 
wkearney99

That's the kind. I recall there being several different vendors but some went out of business.

I'd recommend a multiple tank monitor, so you can check both the waste and the fresh water tanks. I suppose if someone also had a gray water tank it'd be good to monitor it too. And when choosing a location for it, pick one that's in a useful place. On the 348 they tuck it back inside the shower/toilet portion of the head. Makes it a hassle to check on a regular basis. When I installed my new one I put the panel out in the sink area of the head. That way I can see if from the cabin when the head door is open, or from the sink. I tied power to it into the light switch. Figuring if I want to see it I'd probably have the light on. Saves battery life otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:20 pm 

Thanks for the info. I pulled the mid-cabin mattress out and found an access hatch in the floor. I can see the waste tank and get a general idea of how full the "honey pot" is by shining a flashlight at the tank, as kroache previously mentioned that he has done.

As for tank sensors; I don't think I will be installing them. It would have been great if they were installed at the factory.

Sorry it took so long to reply, been away boating and only had my iPhone with me. Alright for web surfing, but not the best for typing long msgs on.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:49 pm 

wkearney99 wrote:
Meanwhile I just maintain a plan that says pump out after every time we've gone out and someone used the tank, regardless of how many times or what they did.

+1. We are fortunate enough to have a mobile pump out station at our marina so I get a pump out every two weeks regardless of use. If we are at the lake continuous, then we get one every week. Those holding tank vent filters are expensive and go bad if you let the tank get backed up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 pm 

I too pump out at every oppurtunity. The pump out at my marina is located at the outside end of my dock, about 6 boats down and is free to moorage customers. I have to pass by it in order to get to my slip. If they would lengthen the hose, I could almost pump out from my slip!

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX