www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:19 pm 
Shark

Hi!
On my 258 in the head there's a device for measuring the water level in the grey water tank.
It's a black round instrument with little green lights close to the lavatory.
Before winterizing we all assume that the grey water tank was empty.
If I press the instrument all the green lights turn on.

could you help me in understanding what does it mean?

1) that the tank is full when the lights are turn to red...so don't worry and do what you need to do in the toilet :)

2) that the tank is full get it empty and than...do whatever you need to do.

3) that the instrument doesn't work :x

thanks to everybody (also from my little daughters)

Oscar

previous boats:
1998 FW 258 Vista
2003 Saver 690 Cabin Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:06 am 
Goldfish

Hello: I'll tell you what I do know about these indicators.

The red dots indicate how full the tank is, ie, more dots means more full. Newer models have an indicator light for each quarter of the tank. Usually FW uses a single indicator for holding and fresh-water tanks, with a button to depress for the tank you want to check the level of.

They are notoriously unreliable. The fresh-water indicator in my 268 has never shown anything, only the holding tank indicator seems to work. We ordered a new 288 Vista in January and the dealer talked me out of including tank level indicators because of their unrelyability.

Hope this helps a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:09 am 
Goldfish

Just realized I never directly answered your question. If the indicator is working (ie, lights are showing up) and it shows full, I would get a pump out before using the head again. Last thing you want is for the tank to overflow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:41 pm 
Shark

Dear friend...you are completely right: it's clear that a pumping out it would be easy...after removing the carpets, after removing all the cushioms from the sun bed, after opening the discharge valve located in the engine compartment, with a crying daughter and with the boat located in the center of the exit of the harbour...you know all these situations perfectly because it happened to you the same at least once in your life :D

I told to my daughter to do her needs anyway and everything was solved.

But, aftewords, in a safer position I checked this device...and the doubt was rising....does it work or not? Just to know if the green lights brighting all together (1 per quarter of tank) mean "I'm full" or "I'm empty" this instrument in Italy with this kind of appearance (all green lights brighting) would mean: OK empty...you all have longer experiences than me with these devices installed by FW, thanks a lot for your support :)

Oscar

previous boats:
1998 FW 258 Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:08 pm 
Andiamo

Oscar, that scenario you describe, with your Daughter crying and in the middle of the harbor is very funny (although I am sure not at the time) because you are correct...We have all been in situations like that at one time or another!!

I guess I am one of the lucky ones with these gauges on my 268 Vista, because I have found them to be pretty accurate. Usually when only 1 green light is showing the tank is pretty much empty, and when 3 out of 4 light up, the tank is pretty much full, and I do not test the accuracy but look to pump it out at that point but no later. With only a 20 gallon tank it does not take long to go from empty to full!!

It is Great to Hear from someone on this board from Italy. Where in Italy are you located?
Ciao!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:03 pm 
Shark

dear Giaccamo,
in this exact moment I'm in Sardinia for job pourposes, but I'll be back home on friday, we live in north west Italy 25 km north west of Milan and the 258 is on the lake Maggiore, I have placed some pictures of mine in the photo section of Ifourwinns. I see that your boat has an Italian name...Andiamo.....let's go

Back to the device, your answer means that my device doesn't work: all green lights are turned on and the tank is surely empty. :(

It's a pity to say but on my previous Italian cruiser I had not such troubles...anyway I will ask someone to solve it.

thanks, ciaaaaaaaaaaaaaao!
Oscar

previous boats:
1998 FW 258 Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:36 pm 
Mental Floss

They suck and are not reliable. I had Four Winns replace mine with a completely different system under warranty. They are aware they are problematic.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:23 pm 
Andiamo

Oscar, Yes, Let's Go! What a beautiful region you live in! The "Big" lake! Between the lakes and the mountains it must be absolutely beautiful. Is the northern end of Lake Maggiore in Switzerland? Do you get to Lake Como at all? We were not too far from you to visit my wife's family a few years ago. They live South of Milan not too far from Piacenza, and probably closer to Bobbio! Our next trip will take us to the Amalfi Coast and Sicily! We would like to get to Sardenia also. Have a good trip back home from Sardenia.

Good Luck with the guages on the Vista! Sounds like your best bet will be to replace them like Jvalich did.

Ciao!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:33 am 
Goldfish

Jvalich:
Can these be after factory installed even if there wasn't one originally? We didn't bother ordering one with our new boat because their so unreliable. Ideally I'd like to have one but don't want to waste the money on something that doesn't work. Can you recommend a manufacturer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:44 am 
Mental Floss

Here is what I had installed Acu-gage both in the current boat and in my last Vista (248) The later I installed myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:49 am 
Andiamo

John, that is a very nice unit! This is probably a dumb question, but do you need a sensor kit for each tank you want to monitor? Also, which Sensor Kit works (or works best) with the Ultra 8, the Auto Cal Sensor Module for $54.95 or the Moda Tank Sensor Kit for $35.95! Also, were the sensor's difficult to install on the tanks? Can you use the existing wiring for the new sensors, or does this involve snaking new wiring thru as well??

Thanks for the Info,
Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:07 pm 
Mental Floss

All the units work good, just depends upon how many tanks you will need to monitor and how flashy you want the panel to look. The units come with 4 sensor I believe. To install, you simply apply the aluminum tape and then stick the sensor pads to the tape. Since they are external you just need access to one side of each tank. The hardest part of the install is running the wire from the sensor to the control panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:03 pm 
wkearney99

The one in our 2005 348 has always been unreliable. Not sure if it's the senders, the control unit, or both. I did have it end up with the waste tank overfilled. But fortunately I had a spare filter onboard so I didn't have to risk the vacuum pump out collapsing the tank. This reminds me to add it to the dealer warranty repairs before putting it back in the water next month...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:26 am 
Shark

Hi Jim,
Just came back from Sardinia.
Yes the upper part of the Maggiore Lake is in Switzerland, but no trouble for crossing national borders on the water, sometimes swiss coast patrols stop you while sometimes they don't care at all. Italian cost patrol doesn't care at all. :lol:

The headquarter of the company I work for is based in Como, and Como is 35km from my house, as the lake Maggiore, but we go boating only on the Maggiore lake.

Back to the device....it seems my doubts were real: I see new posts with claims about these devices. Tomorrow I will be on the boat the full day and I will try to get more experiences on this stupid gauge.

Hi and thanks to everybody and have a nice week end on the water (according to weather...)

Oscar

previous boats:
1998 FW 258 Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:01 am 
ShanMan

jvalich wrote:
They suck and are not reliable. I had Four Winns replace mine with a completely different system under warranty. They are aware they are problematic.

How did you go about doing this? Did the dealer contact FW on your behalf, or did you contact FW directly? How much of a hassle was it? Repeated calls? What proof did you have to provide in order for FW to replace the system?

http://vista278.com