www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 258 Vista Bilge Question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Alright Gang,

I pulled the boat (2006 258V)from the water today for winterizing. In doing so, I fully expected to have a decent amount of water in the bilge because the charger is shot and the batteries had certainly died in the month or so since I'd been out. When I started kicking around, I found a large amount of water in the forward cabin (shower sump compartment and under the area where the table mount is). So, I started exploring, thinking for certain that the drain to the aft bilge was simply blocked with muck and fiberglass debris. Except, I couldn't find any place where the forward cabin area drained to the aft bilge. Searched and searched. No hole or pipe. There's a small tube that runs along the keel under the table, but it leads only to the shower sump compartment (in front of the door to the head). From there, it appears to go nowhere. Can this be?

I looked at my manual and confirmed that the 258v (for my year anyway) didn't have a forward bilge pump. There is a wiring harness for one, because the 258 shared the same wiring as the 278 for that year. But I couldn't find any diagram or indication as to where water in the forward bow could drain to the aft. Anyone have any insight?

As of now, I plan to install a 500 GPH bilge pump below the floor in the cabin. I'm going to tie it into the overboard discharge for the shower sump.

I just can't believe that this boat was designed with no way for water to drain from front to back.

Puzzled.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:56 am 
Shark

I have an '04 268 Vista, which is the same boat as the '06 278. They simply molded in the swim platform and called it a bigger boat. My front bilge area does not drain to the rear either, although my boat did come with a forward bilge pump. That tube you refer to should be for your anchor locker drain. Where is all the water coming from. I've always battled water in my aft bilge, but the front has always been dry, unless the float on the shower sump became stuck and the sump overflowed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:43 pm 

Heck, on my 2000 H180 they put a drain in the glove box, but forgot to put one in the anchor locker. A drill bit took care of that. God, was it nasty to go for the anchor and it's swimming in a pool of black water.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:07 pm 

Yeah, I suppose the same design team could have made the same mistake. The water is clearly from the anchor locker. It just makes no sense to me to have that water drain into a place where there's no outlet. I'll post some pics up here when I get a chance.

P.S. - you know this board is slow when the most active post has to do with bilge pumps. Maybe we should talk politics. (I keed).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 am 

I have this same problem on my 268. I discovered it when I removed the cabin table mount and found the bilge under was holding water. The water looked like it had been in there a while and had a funky odor almost like kerosene. It looks like there is supposed to be a hole to drain back to the bilge but it got partially glassed over. I sucked it out with a shop vac and closed it back up. I'm concerned about trying to hard to re open that hole because I don't want to create more problems. :?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:35 am 

Bliss36 wrote:
I have this same problem on my 268. I discovered it when I removed the cabin table mount and found the bilge under was holding water. The water looked like it had been in there a while and had a funky odor almost like kerosene. It looks like there is supposed to be a hole to drain back to the bilge but it got partially glassed over. I sucked it out with a shop vac and closed it back up. I'm concerned about trying to hard to re open that hole because I don't want to create more problems. :?

Ben when i had our 268 I was able to put a hose in the forward V berth storage and let it run and the water would go to the forward bilge pump on the floor in front of the aft cabin. For some reason it was not common with the aft bilge. FYI

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:18 am 

Bliss36 wrote:

Weird. When I checked under mine late last season, it was bone dry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:00 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:

Hey Ben - where did you find the partially glassed over hole? I ran my hands around in the keel and shower sump compartment and found nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:04 pm 

SundayDinner wrote:
Bliss36 wrote:

Hey Ben - where did you find the partially glassed over hole? I ran my hands around in the keel and shower sump compartment and found nothing.

At the wall between the shower sump compartment and the compartment underneath my cockpit table. It looks like a hole the size of a quarter but it was full of what looked like loose glass mat and gel coat. I tried sticking a coat hanger thru it but couldn't. The water in it wasn't from the anchor rode as far as I could tell. I believe my anchor compartment drains out of the clamshell vent on the keel right below the anchor compartment.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:37 pm 

I have the same problem! When taking a shower, I noticed that the locker/storage space that is under the sink was not sealed. I am thinking that water is getting behind it. Not sure, I discovered it just before I pulled it out for the winter. This spring I am going so run a bead of chalking around it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:57 pm 
Sting Ray

Hi Guys I am new here with a Vista 278 year 2007 just imported from UK to Malta. I have checked my forward bilge and found water , i removed the table mount and was also water. Is that coming from the anchor locker? What is the solution? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:00 pm 
Dolphin

kitos wrote:
Hi Guys I am new here with a Vista 278 year 2007 just imported from UK to Malta. I have checked my forward bilge and found water , i removed the table mount and was also water. Is that coming from the anchor locker? What is the solution? Thanks

Hey kitos,

I have a 2006 V278 and had a similar problem. I noticed that the carpeting at the front of the v berth (under the seating area at the bow) would get wet whenever I washed the boat. In my case it was definitely coming in from the anchor locker.

I emptied the rode from the locker and let it dry out for a couple of days (I'm in a covered slip) and then caulked all along the inside of the locker (a little awkward to reach but manageable). Also don't forget there is a drainage hole near the bottom of the locker (you'll notice it's silver vent cover on the outside of the boat). Mine was plugged up so that didn't help either.

After repairing it I would check the carpeting at the bow (easy access under the front storage cover in the v berth) every time I wash the boat and also whenever I return from a run on the lake. Have never had an issue since.

Unfortunately if water gets in some of these areas there doesn't seem to be any way for it to drain so using a wet vac is probably the only way to dry it out.

Hope you're enjoying your new boat :mrgreen:

"Heart's Content II"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:14 pm 
Sting Ray

Hello Kevin,

thank you for the info, i will have a looking this weekend and try to repair it. did you used a special sealer?

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:31 pm 

I have heard of that happening when the drain is clogged. They use a vent or I call it a clam shell vent, as a drain. In my case the rug and that area is not wet. I just keep find water by the sump pump. I think its from the head, this spring I am doing to work on it!! It aways between 1 to 2 gals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:46 pm 
Dolphin

kitos wrote:
Hello Kevin,

thank you for the info, i will have a looking this weekend and try to repair it. did you used a special sealer?

thanks

Hey kitos,

I recall just using clear silicone caulking to seal it. I gave it a whole day before putting the anchor rode back in (just to make sure it was all nice and dry).

Good luck

"Heart's Content II"