www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm considering a 268v purchase and found one that I like. Only drawback is it doesn't include a trailer.
Just wondering what some of you pay for winter haul out and storage?

I've seen a quote for $4 a square foot for inside storage. Does anyone know how many square feet a 268 uses?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm 

How much $$$ would a good new/used trailer cost? I like the fact that it is in my driveway, but not everyone can do that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:11 pm 

I pay 450.00 outside storage (NW Indiana)including haul out, pressure wash, and blocking. I have a Trans shield full boat cover that was shipped to my door for 140.00 that's going on it's 2nd season in perfect condition. I think 4.00ft inside storage is a good price/great price if it's indoor heated. You should be looking at 238 square feet (28ft loa x 8.5ft beam) for your 268V. I'm going the route Paul I suggested and picking up a trailer, but I've had no problems storing it at the boat yard.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:13 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
How much $$$ would a good new/used trailer cost? I like the fact that it is in my driveway, but not everyone can do that.

The dealer quoted a tand axle Venture alum trailer at around $4700. I would prefer to have it parked in my driveway as well. I'm thinking that I may get the boat and then shop around for the trailer. If I don't find one by next fall that I like then I may have to pay for haul out and storage for the first winter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:17 pm 

JeffLW wrote:
Paul I. wrote:

The dealer quoted a tand axle Venture alum trailer at around $4700. I would prefer to have it parked in my driveway as well. I'm thinking that I may get the boat and then shop around for the trailer. If I don't find one by next fall that I like then I may have to pay for haul out and storage for the first winter.

That sounds like a good plan. Here's the trailer Im currently looking at for my 268Vhttp://www.boattrader.com/listing/2012-In-Lr-Ab26t8400102ltb2-99859721 Those bunks adjust (pivot) to fit your hull and are 6" wide! They can even add Electric over hydraulic brakes for $590!!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:22 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
JeffLW wrote:
Paul I. wrote:

That sounds like a good plan. Here's the trailer Im currently looking at for my 268Vhttp://www.boattrader.com/listing/2012-In-Lr-Ab26t8400102ltb2-99859721 Those bunks adjust (pivot) to fit your hull and are 6" wide! They can even add Electric over hydraulic brakes for $590!!

Thanks Bliss.
How do you like the arch on your 268? I'm looking at two boats, one with and one without the arch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:23 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
I pay 450.00 outside storage (NW Indiana)including haul out, pressure wash, and blocking. I have a Trans shield full boat cover that was shipped to my door for 140.00 that's going on it's 2nd season in perfect condition. I think 4.00ft inside storage is a good price/great price if it's indoor heated. You should be looking at 238 square feet (28ft loa x 8.5ft beam) for your 268V. I'm going the route Paul I suggested and picking up a trailer, but I've had no problems storing it at the boat yard.

$4 for indoor nonheated. $6.70 for heated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:26 pm 

As to the trailer, personaly I like the rollers. Easy off, easy on!! BUT thats me, I have had both. With the bunks, you really need to float it on or off. You are not going to pull it up a few inches, when most of the boat's wight is on the bunks.

If you can, try to buy the next size up on the tralier. In some ways, I wish I did because every time I traded the boat in with the tralier, they give me close to nothing for it!! I lucked out with this boat, I was able to reuse the tralier from my last boat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:52 pm 

Quote:
Thanks Bliss.
How do you like the arch on your 268? I'm looking at two boats, one with and one without the arch.

Love the arch! It provides a good attachment for the canvas and I feel looks good. The arch adds some height to the boat and is not hinged on the 268, so make sure if you decide to go with the arch it won't hinder your storage options. Four Winns lists the height on a FW factory trailer as 12' 6" with arch compared to 10'9" without arch. An aftermarket trailer may change this height. All Four Winns trailers from the factory are bunk trailers. They do not recommend roller trailers due to hull/gel coat damage so be careful what advice you may receive to the contrary!

Also what part of Michigan are you in? If you list what area you are in maybe people in that area can give you some advice on some local storage places.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:54 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Bliss.

Love the arch! It provides a good attachment for the canvas and I feel looks good. The arch adds some height to the boat and is not hinged on the 268, so make sure if you decide to go with the arch it won't hinder your storage options. Four Winns lists the height on a FW factory trailer as 12' 6" with arch compared to 10'9" without arch. An aftermarket trailer may change this height. All Four Winns trailers from the factory are bunk trailers. They do not recommend roller trailers due to hull/gel coat damage so be careful what advice you may receive to the contrary!

Also what part of Michigan are you in? If you list what area you are in maybe people in that area can give you some advice on some local storage places.

They want quite a bit more for the boat with the arch. I really didn't see any reason to have it other than for looks, or radar. It doesn't even have speakers in it. I think I'm leaning towards no arch, that way I have more storage options.

The boat will be kept in the Charlevoix or Traverse City area. I have a place to store it outside up there but need a trailer to get it there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:31 pm 

You guys are lucky cost wise, here outside storage is $40 a foot. That's why I wound up keeping the small boat, if I got a bigger one I could not store it in the driveway and the one I was looking at (23 foot Steiger Craft) would cost $920 a year to store.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 am 

JeffLW wrote:
Bliss36 wrote:

Those sound like really good rates. Does that include the haul out also? Does that include blocking/stands? Many marinas will charge an additonal per ft length for haul out and may charge a fee for use of their stands also.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:00 pm 

Used to pay $650 for indoor, heated storage with our cruiser. Yes...that was a smokin' deal and I did all of the hauling and cleaning myself. Currently pay $300 for indoor, heated for our bowrider. You will have about 238 square feet on your 268. So $1,000 for indoor, non-heated storage. Good luck. My dad keeps his Carver in Elk Rapids and stores it over the winter at a place in East Jordan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:22 pm 

RotaryRacer wrote:
JeffLW wrote:
Bliss36 wrote:

Those sound like really good rates. Does that include the haul out also? Does that include blocking/stands? Many marinas will charge an additonal per ft length for haul out and may charge a fee for use of their stands also.

No I think that rate is just for the storage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:24 pm 

Wet Doggg wrote:
Used to pay $650 for indoor, heated storage with our cruiser. Yes...that was a smokin' deal and I did all of the hauling and cleaning myself. Currently pay $300 for indoor, heated for our bowrider. You will have about 238 square feet on your 268. So $1,000 for indoor, non-heated storage. Good luck. My dad keeps his Carver in Elk Rapids and stores it over the winter at a place in East Jordan.

Thats sounds like a good deal. Where was this at?

Does your dad store his at the farm on Peninsula rd?