www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:19 am 
Shark

Hey guys,

I'm considering upgrading to a larger boat. Don't get me wrong, I love my 328, but for a number of reasons, not the least of which is my desire for IPS drives and more space, I'm looking for something in the 37 to 40 ft range.

As I want to make my 328 attractive to a dealer / new buyer, I had a number of changes and upgrades done recently:

- PlasDeck decking on swim platform, cockpit/entertaining areas, and cabin
- New custom camper canvas package in black to match outside boat trim color (old one was shot)
- Replaced cockpit dining table (old one was severely cracked and weathered)
- Aft cabin table (old one was lost)
- ICOM mounted VHF radio (old one stopped working)
- Horn (old one was rusted and dented)
- New Hatch and assembly components for above forward berth (latches for old hatch broke off)
- New port side windshield wiper arm (old one broke during a storm)
- Aluminum cup holders to replace the stock white ones
- Replaced rubberized strip on the edge of cabin door (old one more or less disintegrated over time)
- New steering wheel with 25 Anniversary logo (leather on old one was cracked and irreparably stained)

I'm currently looking into having the Tech Edge iSeries tank monitor installed. The OEM ones haven't worked since I purchased the boat.

I haven't committed to upgrading this year, but I am toying with the idea. The challenge with staying with Four Winns if I do upgrade, however, is if I want a boat with a beam wider than my 328, which I do, I'd have to skip the 335 and 355 which are inexplicably narrower than the 328. I've been on a 335 and that boat is smaller than my 328 overall, not just the beam. Also, the beam on the 375 is just 3 inches wider than the 328. To gain noticeable width, I'd have to go up to the 435, which is a little larger than I'm considering, not to mention much more expensive.

I am looking at the 375 although I haven't seen one in person yet. I was hoping there'd be one at the Atlantic City boat show last weekend, but there wasn't. For the price, I'm concerned that the 375 would not be enough of an upgrade from my 328. The LOA on the 375 is 37 feet, which is only 2 feet longer than my 328. I know my oversized swim platform contributes to this, but still. And I'm not really in love with the idea of a smaller swim platform than I currently have anyway.

So, can any 378 owners give me your experience, likes and dislikes, and some advantages of this boat over mine, or any smaller cruiser, and what real-world price I should expect to pay for a new, or newish one?

Thanks - Allen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 pm 
268 Vista

I think there are onlt 2 or 3 378 owners that have ever posted here. He is probably the 378 owner most active here. Bob2135. He has not owned it long,and does not post here very much, but he knows FW boats, and has a 378 with IPS.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7669

Also consider the Regal 42SC and Cruisers 380 Express or the Sea Ray 410 DA with zeus.

Good luck with a 378.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:55 pm 
email admin your custom rank

A member here who goes by "JAK" had a 328 Vista and upgraded to a 378 Four Winns. I think JAK is on his 3rd or 4th season now with his 378.

Maybe start a new thread to "ping" JAK to get his attention, I believe he still does check in here, just not sure how often.

Second thought, just search out a topic JAK had replied to and PM him.

Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
Shark

Hey Allen,

I just took the time to post a full page reply to you but the damn system didn't post it. I check this site often so if you have any questions shoot me a reply.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:43 pm 
Shark

JAK wrote:
Hey Allen,

I just took the time to post a full page reply to you but the damn system didn't post it. I check this site often so if you have any questions shoot me a reply.
Hey Jak,

Crud. I would have loved to read your post.

What was the biggest difference going from the 328 to the 378?

Any annoyances with the design or layout?

Does the cabin feel much roomier than the 328? How's the headroom?

From what I read, your 378 doesn't have IPS, is that correct? If so, is it difficult to maneuver in tight spaces, or when docking?

- Allen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 am 
email admin your custom rank

378 =

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:37 am 
Shark

Lets try this again Allen,

This coming season will be our 4th with the 378. No regrets moving from the 328 to the 378. As you mentioned it has wider beam and it is noticeable both in the cockpit and down below, even with the wider side deck which was important to us for line handling and rafting with other boats. Headroom throughout is great, even standing at the helm. As for close quarter handling it hasn't been an issue without IPS or the optional bow thruster. At 20,000 lbs the wind doesn't seem to catch the bow as much as it did with the 328. With the electronic shifters and larger props she is very responsive. I was concerned going from I/O to shafts for the first time but the learning curve was short even with my average docking skills.

Things I like about the 378 verses the 328...more storage both in the salon and cockpit, layout and roominess of the salon, double fridge in the salon along with another in the cockpit for beverages, separate shower stall, hard top, larger swim platform. Most of all the ride is noticeably better. This boat feels like a tank when the waves pickup. The 328 was good but it seemed the hull shape would throw the spray up instead of away and the wind would blow the spray back onto the foredeck and windshield. This doesn't happen with the 378, much drier ride.

Things I liked about the 328 verses the 378...cruise speed and fuel economy. The 328 cruised at approx. 30MPH with a burn of 1.2MPG. The 378 cruise is 25MPH and a burn of 0.7MPG. When boating with friends I need a half hour head start or take a real MPG hit trying to keep up with the group. Also, we like to anchor out over night. Hasn't been a problem yet but with the I/O's you can anchor in shallower water or if you slip anchor you can raise the outdrives out of harms way.

Had to laugh at Blue Dragons reply. Three hundred gallon tank at today's gas prices, that's how I feel paying the gas dock attendant!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 pm 
Shark

Allen,
Capn Morgan referenced me earlier. Yes, we purchased a 2008 378Vista in OCT 10. We moved up from a 318Vista, and are relatively very happy with the move. The 378Vista provides a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in room, storage, and comfort. Along with this comes the increased premium you pay for just about everything with a BIG boat. service, slip, storage, gas, etc...all cost much more. but, other than that it was completely worth it for my family of 4.

Best Likes -
IPS Drives (smooth, powerful, responsive)
Diesel Engines (smooth, powerful, responsive....and VERY quiet)
Beam....icredible the difference
Engine room space

Dislikes -
I have an electronic compass gremlin...still working on this...can rely on digital headings...affects autopilot and chartplotter positioning...drove me crazy last season.
Volvo Penta EVC displays - only one for both engines...this should/and has been corrected in new FW Vista's, but one display is functional, it does not provide instant access to vital engine information and diagnostics.
Gas tanks = $$$$

It is a great boat, and recommend it to the serious boater who is looking to upgade at a reasonable cost. I highly recommend the IPS drives...I am sold on them now.

Previously
'06 318 Vista
'97 258 Vista
'98 195 Sundowner
'87 180 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:09 pm 
Shark

Thanks Jak and Bob for your replies and your information. I truly appreciate it.

Just a follow-up: What should I expect to pay for a 2010 / 2011 V378? I've looked around online, but the prices are all over the place, from $280,000 all the way up to $440,000. I can't believe people are paying these prices.

I think I can get between $50K and $60K for my boat, based on NADA and other feedback I've gotten, but that could be off as well.

Does anyone have a resource I can go to for real-world pricing?

Thanks - Allen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:21 am 
Shark

Well, depends on options (of course). Remember this point, the last year FW made the 378V was 2009/2010 (same model) Any dealer or sale of a 2011 is not accurate. We paid (in 2010) for our 2008 378V with IPS/Diesel/electronics package/ 190 engine hours about $208K. Today, could probably get it for 190K or so.

Before I bought, I called and talked to 4 different FW dealers with new and used 378V. Got their best phone price (after small haggling) and then did internet boat sale site research and came up with a price range for the boat I wanted. Low was 195K high was 400K...after doing that found our deal and have been happy since.

Previously
'06 318 Vista
'97 258 Vista
'98 195 Sundowner
'87 180 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:13 pm 
Dolphin

Was going to mention that I did not think you were talking apples to apples on what is now the V375...if you are looking brand new what originated as the Vista 348, changed to the V358 (which I owned), then think it had a year as the V355, before becoming what it is now the V375...what was the Vista 378 (40' LOA) is no longer in production. So to your point, the new 375 will probably be only marginally larger than your 328. I had stepped up from what was the 318 (now 335) and it was a good incremental step with significanty more room. Did not have the IPS system and actually bought it as an 08 leftover in 09...so not only did I get a great price as a leftover, but it was 2009 and I was able to deal...heck, I got amost 85% of what I paid in trade two year later on my SC42. But the boat handled really well, was quite dry in rough seas...the weight diff from the 318 made a big difference in windy conditions...overall a really nice boat.

Previous
2008 FW V358
2006 FW V318
2004 FW V288

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:37 pm 
Shark

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your response. I see that I caused a bit of confusion with my first post where I asked about the 375 and my other posts about the 378.

Regarding the 375 being only marginally larger than my boat, that is my concern. Although it is very nice, the 375 is spectacularly expensive, and if all I'm going to get is an inch or so in the beam and perhaps 2 feet in the length, I do wonder if it would be worth it.

As you said, the 378, no longer in production, has pretty much the same dimensions as the 375, with the difference that the 378 has a beam of 12'9", which is almost a foot wider than the 375. [Why has Four Winns narrowed the beam in its new boats?].

And of course, the other advantage is that a 378 would be much less expensive than the 375.

I'm currently looking for a really good deal as I'll be lucky to get $60K on the trade of my boat. I may simply end up waiting until next year and pony up for the Formula 40PC, which I am truly in love with. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:48 pm 
wkearney99

The 378 is an all-around bigger boat than the 348/375. I have the 348 and I've been on 378's and they're much different. The 378 design was getting a bit dated, but it was still a fine boat. For the right price a 378 with diesel IPS would be an excellent upgrade. Not sure I'd bother with an upgrade to just the 348/375 as it's not going to make an appreciable difference over your 328. Yes, when buying new, a side-by-side comparison of the 328 against the 348 would be noticeable. But if you're talking about just moving up to better accommodations the difference isn't enough to justify the effort/expense.

I'm guessing narrower beams has a lot to do with sea-keeping. Beam-ier boats tend to be a little more uncomfortable in choppy seas and perform a bit less efficiently overall. I took a Forumula 38 footer out for a spin after testing a 378 and it was like night and day. The Formula was a good bit faster and had a much more responsive ride. But the 378 beat it hands-down on storage and seating accommodations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15 pm 
Shark

Although I haven't seen a 375 in person yet, I'm certainly not going to pay somewhere in the $450K range for a boat that's not noticeably larger than my boat, especially as the main reasons for my upgrade consideration are more space and IPS.

I haven't seen the 378 either but, based on the specs, and comments from other 378 owners here, it would definitely be a step up in space and accommodations from my boat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:58 pm 
wkearney99

$450 for the 348? That 'marketing' calls the 375? WTF are they smoking?

Last I saw the later models based on the 348 actually had less amenities. Less cabinetry down in the cabin, for one.

I just priced out one like our 348 and it came in at $436k. Ouch! We paid $190k. Granted, that was a left-over 2005, bought in 2006, but still! I think list for the 348 at the time was around $299k, but street price was around $210k. So where the hell are they coming up with THAT much of a price increase?