www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:14 pm 
Sting Ray

So, after reading everyones horn problems I decided to try and fix mine. One of the two worked but it sounded like I was squeezing the life out of a duck. Anyway, after I read that some people had some successes fixing there own horns I figured it should be fairly easy to do it while they are on the boat. Well its not... and after an hour of frustration, I removed them from the boat so I could work on them at home. If I knew then what I know now, I would have left them on, because now I have to somehow reconnect the wiring.

When I opened them up there was quite alot of corrosion on the outer ring of the main mechanism. It butts up to two paper (gasket?) rings, the diaphram, another paper ring and then the horn body. I found that the paper rings had deteriorated and must have held moisture against the main mechanism, enough so, that it caused the ring of corrosion.
Heres a pic of all the original parts. Rear casing, diaphram, main machanism (for lack of a better term), Paper rings and the horn body. Note the corrosion and the condition of the paper rings

After the disassembly, I cleaned up any rust with a wire brush.
What I found was that the breakdown of the paper rings are why the horns failed. Luckily, I had a roll of gasket making material laying around and I cut out 6 new paper rings using the main mechanism as a template.

Next I reassembled like pictured here.2 paper rings, the diaphram, 1 paper ring and the horn body.

Then I attached the main mechanisim using the 5 screws but I only turned them on about five turns before I tested the horn with a 12v source.

Last edited by Iamwildman on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 pm 
Sting Ray

I would tighten all 5 screws about 4 or 5 turns at a time and keep testing the horn until i got a good sound. There was definitly a sweet spot where the horn would suddenly sound great and if you still are not getting a good result yet try and adjust the screw at the back, like the one at the top of this pic. Back it out and retry adjusting the five screws at the front.

Both of my horns are now working perfectly, better then I've ever heard them.

Last edited by Iamwildman on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:46 am 
Shark

Thanks for taking the time to do the write-up, very useful information. My horns are sounding like the "squeezing the life out of a duck" comment. I'll give this fix a try eventually as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:23 pm 
268 Vista

Nice fix. However,If a new one is in order, see below.

Quote:
Boat horns are an important safety item, but they don't have to sacrifice beauty for function. Schmitt & Ongaro Marine Products has enhanced its stylish line of single and dual trumpet horns with moisture-blocking resins and lubricants. Unique in its use of these techniques, the company is helping boat owners battle corrosion, to ensure a horn works properly when needed.

The sounding unit is sealed with an engineered resin to block moisture intrusion. Electrical contacts within each horn's rear sounding unit are also protected with a conductive lubricant, which prevents oxidation. With this, Schmitt & Ongaro has eliminated a tedious maintenance chore and lengthened its products' service life. Owners no longer need to disassemble and clean a horn's electrical contacts, even after it's subjected to rain, condensation or salt spray. Schmitt & Ongaro's horns uniquely use 304 stainless steel inside and out, including the sealed sound unit. They are US patented and each model meets applicable ABYC standards for either boats up to 12m or 20m. Schmitt & Ongaro backs all of its horn models with a 5-year, no-rust guarantee.

Every horn comes pre-wired for simple installation and fits existing hole patterns for upgrade projects. The company also offers a full line of compact, drop-in horns for boats up to 39' that feature the protective conductive lubricant.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:52 pm 
Sting Ray

Yes, a new horn would be best but for me, I like to make old crap work like new again. There is something satisfying about it, and it's cheaper. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am 
Clownfish

Mine sound bad too. Are you saying you could have done this fix with the horn still wired in? I see lots of diff gasket papers available, is there a special thickness or anything?

Thanks
Eric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 am 
Sting Ray

Yeah you can do this while they are on the boat. Just use the main mechanism (sorry I really don't know what to call it) as a template for marking out the rings and the 5 screw holes. you will need something to trace out the center part of the ring. As far as what kind of gasket material to use, I just took a shot in the dark and used some stuff thats been laying around my garage for years. Its less then a milimeter thick. you should be able to find it at any auto parts store.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 am 
Tadpole

You can replace the horn with a new DOMINATOR WOLO 125 Marine horn which costs only $79.99. Check http://www.warninglightpro.com/the-domi ... -horn.html