www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Step up to 248?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 am 
email admin your custom rank

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
PS, that 250 CR Monty I posted earlier, even with having a camper top made is a better deal than these 258's or the 248's IMO. Or maybe this
05' 250CR with camper canvas, trailer AC/Heat for $35K....

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005- ... -101879140

It appears as though that Monty does have camper canvas: "standard top with side and aft canvas are all standard equipment". Not too crazy about the color, but everything else is very nice! Has a nice trailer and appears to be in good shape. I may acutally need to contact them about this. If that number were just a little lower........

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 am 
268 Vista

Quote:
"if that number were just a bit lower

Use your superior negotiating skills , as well as a trade in of your boat to get the price closer to where you want it to be.
It can be done, and will cost you nothing to try. You can do it !!!

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:59 pm 

hutch9900 wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:
PS, that 250 CR Monty I posted earlier, even with having a camper top made is a better deal than these 258's or the 248's IMO. Or maybe this
05' 250CR with camper canvas, trailer AC/Heat for $35K....

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005- ... -101879140

It appears as though that Monty does have camper canvas: "standard top with side and aft canvas are all standard equipment". Not too crazy about the color, but everything else is very nice! Has a nice trailer and appears to be in good shape. I may acutally need to contact them about this. If that number were just a little lower........

Hutch9900,

I buy all my parts from that dealer and they are awesome to deal with! I work 3 minutes away from the Country Club Hills location and have spent a lot of my lunch breaks there, so let me know if you want me to take a look at it or shoot some different pics for you! If you call ask for Wayne and tell him Ben from Toyota sent you :wink:

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
Hutch9900,

I buy all my parts from that dealer and they are awesome to deal with! I work 3 minutes away from the Country Club Hills location and have spent a lot of my lunch breaks there, so let me know if you want me to take a look at it or shoot some different pics for you! If you call ask for Wayne and tell him Ben from Toyota sent you :wink:

Thanks, Ben that would be great! I did send them an email, we will see if they get back to me. Hoping to hear a response soon. I think the biggest thing would be to see how much my trade would bring. Then, of course, if the boat is in as good of shape as the pics make it out to seem. I keep looking at the pics and the ad, I cant tell if it has trim tabs or not. Would that be uncommon for a boat of that size to not have tabs?? Seems like it would be a standard item?
I still have my eye on the "affordable" 248 here in Ohio.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:36 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Quote:
"if that number were just a bit lower

Use your superior negotiating skills , as well as a trade in of your boat to get the price closer to where you want it to be.
It can be done, and will cost you nothing to try. You can do it !!!

HAAA!! Superior negotiating skills, right! Well at least the worst that they could do would be to say no. It will all be about the trade in value most likely.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 pm 

It does has trim tabs. Monterey pockets the hull for them to tuck into on that model. I've looked at the Monterey 250 before and it is a nice layout especially if you like a portside lounge. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with the 250CR or the 248 since they are both great boats!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:51 pm 

Bliss36 wrote:
It does has trim tabs. Monterey pockets the hull for them to tuck into on that model. I've looked at the Monterey 250 before and it is a nice layout especially if you like a portside lounge. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with the 250CR or the 248 since they are both great boats!

Thanks! I might be spoiled even with my little 20 footer, but having trim tabs is a must for me. The fuse had somehow blown on my tabs while we were out on the water this past summer, that boat handles terrible without them and it is small.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm 
268 Vista

Yep, a boat that sizes absolutely needs trim tabs.

Your 205 should bring top dollar, but not as much in a trade as you would get for it selling outright.
From personal experience, selling a boat can really suk. Hopefully the dealer will sharpen his pencil and
makes the numbers work for you.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Yep, a boat that sizes absolutely needs trim tabs.

Your 205 should bring top dollar, but not as much in a trade as you would get for it selling outright.
From personal experience, selling a boat can really suk. Hopefully the dealer will sharpen his pencil and
makes the numbers work for you.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

It was the maroon colored one that I couldnt see the tabs on, or mention of it in the ad. I do like that one though and there isnt much difference in the price. The color is a heck of a lot more appealing too!

Yeah, I have heard the selling part is not a fun thing to do. The shopping part has been fun so far. I am sure that it will become more stressful as the season approaches. Thanks, I will need the luck!

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm 
268 Vista

Maroon ??? It's called Cabernet/Burgandy :mrgreen:
It does have tabs, just a bit harder to see with the bottom paint.

Here is a link to the Owner's manual for the 250CR and 270CR if you want to download
and read some more specific details, dimensions etc.

http://forums.montereyboats.com/index.php?showtopic=82

Between the two boats, I am partial to an all white hull, but I do like the color of the 2006 and with
it having the 5.7L engine, that would be a big plus .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Maroon ??? It's called Cabernet/Burgandy :mrgreen:
It does have tabs, just a bit harder to see with the bottom paint.

Here is a link to the Owner's manual for the 250CR and 270CR if you want to download
and read some more specific details, dimensions etc.

http://forums.montereyboats.com/index.php?showtopic=82

Between the two boats, I am partial to an all white hull, but I do like the color of the 2006 and with
it having the 5.7L engine, that would be a big plus .

LOL maybe I am not so good with fancy colors!! Fancy color names are a female thing anyway :lol: . Thank you for the specs on the Monterey, that was a real eye opener. One thing my wife reminded me of was that I didnt have enough head room to stand in the Monty versus the the Vista. I could almost stand straight up in the vista. By the specs the Monty has 9" less on bridge clearance than the Vista and I am pretty sure that some of that is in the cabin. That could be an issue, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 pm 
268 Vista

Sorry, I did not realize you have to be signed in to the Monty site to view the PDF. :( And you are right. The 250CR has cabin headroom of 6.0 ft. Adequate for many people, except if you are well over 6 ft. tall. In our 268 Vista, the cabin height was fine when entering the cabin, but standing by the sink, my head grazed the cabin ceiling. I'm 6'1" tall, and never really had an issue with the cabin headroom in the 6 years we owned the boat.
One thing I will mention, on our 268, the mid berth was very similar to the mid berth on a 248. It's easy to get in and out of it, but I did not like that I could not sit up in there. After some time, it was a bit claustrophobic for me, and we decided to sleep in the v-berth because of that, and it's also difficult to change clothes with limited headroom. The boats like the 250CR with a midships cabin entrance, have enough headroom on one end to sit up in the mid berth if you want, but they are not as easy to get in and out of.

But , I think a 248 seems to be the best "fit" for you, both physically and financialy. So I'll nix the Monty posts....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:17 am 
268 Vista

Back to Four Winns......

Similar to the non A/C-Heat 248 you posted from Lodder's, but has the much preferred 5.7L in this one. Excuse if you have
already seen this particular one.

2002 248 Vista

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:16 am 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Back to Four Winns......

Similar to the non A/C-Heat 248 you posted from Lodder's, but has the much preferred 5.7L in this one. Excuse if you have
already seen this particular one.

2002 248 Vista

I havent seen that one yet. I really like that one. I would have to see the interior, as the one at Lodders is very ugly on the interior. I have bought things from Craigslist before, but have never bought anything this big. It would make me have to sell my old boat for sure before I could do anything. :roll:

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:22 am 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Sorry, I did not realize you have to be signed in to the Monty site to view the PDF. :( And you are right. The 250CR has cabin headroom of 6.0 ft. Adequate for many people, except if you are well over 6 ft. tall. In our 268 Vista, the cabin height was fine when entering the cabin, but standing by the sink, my head grazed the cabin ceiling. I'm 6'1" tall, and never really had an issue with the cabin headroom in the 6 years we owned the boat.
One thing I will mention, on our 268, the mid berth was very similar to the mid berth on a 248. It's easy to get in and out of it, but I did not like that I could not sit up in there. After some time, it was a bit claustrophobic for me, and we decided to sleep in the v-berth because of that, and it's also difficult to change clothes with limited headroom. The boats like the 250CR with a midships cabin entrance, have enough headroom on one end to sit up in the mid berth if you want, but they are not as easy to get in and out of.

But , I think a 248 seems to be the best "fit" for you, both physically and financialy. So I'll nix the Monty posts....

That's quite alright. It was very insightful to see the dimensions. One of the features my wife likes the most about the Monty, is that it has the wet bar in the cockpit. She doesnt seem to be able to get over the need for that because we have had that with our Sundowner now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt the aft cabin on the Monty, only have sit up room at the entry point? It seemed like the aft was very short toward the foot end. Maybe my memory is incorrect. Either way, having to bend my neck in the cabin would be a small issue. I am a little over 6'3" and I know that my head was on the ceiling in the Vista we looked at, with knees a bent too :wink: .

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next