www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XDP Drives
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Has anyone had an XDP drive here? If so, can anyone tell me the good and the bad about these drives?

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

Post subject: Re: XDP Drives
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:10 pm 

Lot of bads, not a whole lot of goods from what I've seen and experienced.. For me, just bought a '04 328 Vista with twin XDP drives, and have thus far not had a good experience.. Hoping the issues are over, but from what I understand, bellows issues exist through three revisions of them (have not experienced this yet, but I'm just getting started).. My boat, was inspected by a certified marine surveyor, and a marine engine surveyor (two different people), and my issue was still missed. Was on the boat several times before and during the survey, and never once saw the bildge run.. THe boat is in otherwise immaculate condition and was well cared for by the previous owner, and was rack stored during the boating season.. We purchased the boat, had a trailer made for it, and hauled it home from West Virginia to Central Illinois.. It was a salt water boat with it's original owner, but as I said, was rack stored when not in use and flushed after every use. I get it home, in the water, and in my slip, used it for one weekend after its arrival, and the following week get a call that the bilge is running every half hour at the most. I immediately headed down to check it out, and could see water coming in somewhere at the transom area of the drive line it seemed, but couldn't pinpoint it for lack of visibility. I called the marina the next day, had them go look it over, and they determined that there was a hole in the exhaust y-pipe at the elbow. I was able to verify with a camera, and pulled it out the following weekend (after using it a little more). Hauled it to my local Fourwinns dealer 2 hours away, where it was set to have the motor pulled to have the y-pipe replaced, this is where the real problem was discovered. When the motor and drive came out, it was discovered that the transom shield (basically what the drive hangs on and the drive line runs through), had a crack in it, and would need to be replaced as well. This crack apparently seeped water through the shield, where it ran down the exhaust pipe, and dripped off of it at the elbow, where the salt water ate through the pipe from the outside in.. Apparently, Volvo is VERY aware of the issues with the drive, but has never issued a recall on them, but fairly quickly stopped making them, and most of the parts associated with them. My dealer had to make a call to Volvo to locate the transom shield, and was advised by Volvo, that only two where left in stock anywhere in the world, and they were both in Sweden.. At $1100 a piece, I purchased both, and paid $600 in shipping to get them here.. All went back together fairly easily, and my mechanic was a pro at removing and reinstalling motors and drives so the labor was kept to a minimum, but the whole ordeal was not cheap, and leaves me with a sick feeling about the other drive now too... Beyond fixing the transom shield, which cracking is also a fairly common issue with this drive, the other option, is to convert to another drive system, which requires changing out the shields as well, along with the drives at a cost somewhere around $10k to $15k each.. I got the boat back in the water for one more weekend before having to call it a season, and upon pulling her out for the season, discovered that the other drive had developed a gear oil leak around the shift lever shaft. This was a bad seal that I was able to fix myself pretty inexpensively.. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with this anymore, and my issues will be over with, but it thus far has not been a pleasant experience. I blame myself for not doing my research, but my previous boat had Volvo drives, and I never had one bit of trouble with them in 5 seasons so I went with brand experience I guess.. Next time around, I will definately do more research....

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 pm 
Shark

I guess I will add my 2 cents on this one, as your probably going to get allot of feedback from people that have no experience with these drives and only speak to what they read on line. That said, a online search will reveal people have had allot of problems from holes in the shaft bellows from the u-joint rubbing, to cracked transom shields which Volvo tells me is primarily on the higher output engines.

Just to set the record straight, Volvo has issued 2 recalls on the bellows. The latest is the Gen III bellows.
Now for my experience, my boat came with Gen II bellows installed. At the end of season #2 with them, they both had holes in them which resulted in gimble bearings and new shafts/u-joints on both. Fortunately I waited until spring to have this work done (under warranty) and they had just come out with Gen III bellows. I had the Gen III installed for 3 full season before I changed them for preventative MX, and I could see no visable problems with either one. I have decided to change these every 2 years now, and I change the gimbles at the same time, all cheap insurance.

As TFD stated, they have quit making these drives do to all the problems, and the transom shields are now impossible to find. They replaced this with the Ocean X drive.

Personally, I like the drive and have good luck since Gen III was installed, but I watch them very closely and inspect every year and check clamps. I like them, but don't fully trust them. Do your homework and make a educated decision!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:57 pm 

Partycove2 wrote:
Just to set the record straight, Volvo has issued 2 recalls on the bellows.

Sorry, my reference was to the entire drive, not just the bellows, as the whole damn thing should have been recalled.. None the less, did they actually issue a recall on the bellows, or just come up with newer versions/designs.. A recall would imply that they would replace them with a superior/better designed part, and not at your expense? At least that's my understanding of a recall.. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 pm 

hutch9900 wrote:
Has anyone had an XDP drive here? If so, can anyone tell me the good and the bad about these drives?

Run from any boat that has these drives. Too much trouble/risk when compared to the VP DuoProp or Bravo III.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am 

I had found a very nice boat with this drive on it, everything we could have wanted. I guess Im back on the starting block! :( Better to know this stuff now rather than find out after I buy. Thank you for the input, fellas!

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:35 am 
268 Vista

Never noticed the boat had the XDP drive. Too bad, that was a gem of a boat.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:14 am 
Shark

TFD, they were both "recalls" on the bellows themselves, here is the latest one

Service Bulletin

Group Number Version

44-1 73

Volvo Penta of the Americas

1300 Volvo Penta Drive
Chesapeake, Virginia 23320-9810

U-Joint Bellows

All XDP Sterndrives

Distribution: M Date: 12-2008 Binder: A, C

Information

A new U-joint bellows kit, Volvo Penta P/N 21277185 has been released for XDP sterndrives. The new
bellows replaces bellows P/N 3886847.

NOTICE! Please discard service bulletin 44-1-59 as this bulletin replaces the old one.

NOTICE! Carefully follow the bellows installation instructions that are included in the kit. As with the
previous bellows, this one is marked to show correct clamp and bellows orientation.

NOTICE! Replaced bellows must be returned with the completed warranty claim form in order to receive
reimbursement.

Dealers in North America may return any new, unused 3886847 bellows for credit by shipping

them to:
In USA: In Canada:
VPA Bellows Return VPC Bellows Return
1300 Volvo Penta Drive 7972 Enterprise Street
Chesapeake, VA 23320 Burnaby, BC V5A 1V7

Dealers should file a warranty claim on Volvo Penta Partner Network for the number of bellows
returned as follows:

Warranty Claim Information for North American market only:

Warranty type: 41
Function group: 4418
Failed part: 3886847
Reason code: 02

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:16 pm 

It's too bad that drive was not what Volvo promised and instead of improving it they dumped it and come out with something new (OceanX) we still don't know if they are any good. To me that is very very bad customer service, and shows a real lack of development testing before they released the product to the public. I would not trust that the Ocean X is any good till its on the market for a while. If I was buying a new boat now I'd stick with a Merc product.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Last edited by LouC on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:36 pm 

I had one new & put about 80 hours on it in 2 years. I had no problems at all. I have been told that they need service every 3 years without fail!! Or your looking for trouble. But what do I know!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 am 

Our 2007 258 had an XDP drive and for the 2 years we owned it we never had an issue. All we did was normal service. I am friends with the current owner who has only had the drive worked on once in the last three years where the bellows recall was addressed. The boat has been slipped in fresh water from April through September since 2007.

I have seen all the reports and acknowledge that this design is not the best from Volvo. Maybe we just lucked out with this drive. It is good to know that the new ocean drives are a good alternative.

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:26 pm 

I know that I am late with this response but here is my experience and what I have learned along the way from the XDP drives. I have replaced both of my XDP drives after a Volvo factory rep declared the drives as defective.

1. There is a problem with the early bellows and the new versions are suppose to be better. Volvo has blamed alot of the issues on lack of maintenance. The newest guidelines were to change yearly. It was an easy out for Volvo.
2. The XDP drive has alot more problems when installed on a larger boat. Most installations under 30ft have had very few issues. I believe the lack of issues on smaller boats was the reason there was no general recall after speaking with factory reps.
3. The majority of the issues are with the transom shields either developing large cracks that are very apparent or as in my case the cracks were very small and allowed water seepage only when stressed. The cracks could not be seen or felt on the boat or bench. The only way to diagnose the cracks were to replace the bellows, drive the boat hard for a few hours, and remove the drive and inspect for water.
4. On the good side, my Ocean X drives are performing very well. In fact I feel they are responsive around the docks and my top end speed has increased by 2-3 mph.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 am 

BarryBoats wrote:
I know that I am late with this response but here is my experience and what I have learned along the way from the XDP drives. I have replaced both of my XDP drives after a Volvo factory rep declared the drives as defective.

1. There is a problem with the early bellows and the new versions are suppose to be better. Volvo has blamed alot of the issues on lack of maintenance. The newest guidelines were to change yearly. It was an easy out for Volvo.
2. The XDP drive has alot more problems when installed on a larger boat. Most installations under 30ft have had very few issues. I believe the lack of issues on smaller boats was the reason there was no general recall after speaking with factory reps.
3. The majority of the issues are with the transom shields either developing large cracks that are very apparent or as in my case the cracks were very small and allowed water seepage only when stressed. The cracks could not be seen or felt on the boat or bench. The only way to diagnose the cracks were to replace the bellows, drive the boat hard for a few hours, and remove the drive and inspect for water.
4. On the good side, my Ocean X drives are performing very well. In fact I feel they are responsive around the docks and my top end speed has increased by 2-3 mph.

So, do I understand correctly then, that you had xdp drives originally, and switched over to the Ocean X? If so, do you mind if I ask how much you spent to do it (assume you have twins as well)? Feel free to PM me if you want.. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:50 am 
Dolphin

Hi,

If you do a search I posted a lot about these drives, very basically as mentioned if installed in anything bigger than a 28ft the transom shields with twist and crack at/around the gimbal bearing and than allow water into the shaft area and than destroy the top seal letting water into the leg and destroying the leg and also the gimbal bearing and than the whole shield, a class action case was taken out. I have had both replaced by Volvo with DPS-A cost me a bit but very happy with the new drives.

358V with 5.7 Volvos

Sean