Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for a dinghy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

hutch9900 wrote:
weather wrote:
Dinghy's are so so much fun! I see a 9.9 or 15hp in your future.... (I started with a 2.5hp, then a 2 stroke 9.9hp, now have a 4 stroke 15hp) :)

I like the idea of a 2 stroke for maintaining, but I worry about it smoking or smelling. The Sea King is a 2 stroke. I definitely know that I will want more HP eventually. This dinghy has a 15 hp max.

The two stroke was a bit of all those things, but the smell brings me back to my earlier boating days with my father-in-law, so I kinda like the smell.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:30 am 

weather wrote:
. I've now built my own detachable davits out of starboard, so I have 12-14" of platform open for walking with the dinghy loaded up.

Got any pics of the davits you built?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:32 am 

JeffLW wrote:
weather wrote:
. I've now built my own detachable davits out of starboard, so I have 12-14" of platform open for walking with the dinghy loaded up.

Got any pics of the davits you built?

I pulled one out of the garage (it's a bit dirty) and took a few pictures. The pictures with the dinghy are the plywood mockups. Looking at the pictures, I was a bit optimistic with the amount of space left on the platform, there is enough to walk by - probably 8-10". These work great as our swim platform is higher off the water than many other boats, so the arms are long enough to dip into the water - and be at not too steep an angle, when lowered. I had custom stainless brackets made that slide into the Weaver shoes mounted on the swim platform. They are easily removable and fit in the transom 'trunk' when not in use. The arms were made out of a single 2'x4'x3/4" piece of starboard. Only issue is they get dirty fast when the dinghy has slime on the bottom of it (we keep it in the water, not on the davits at the dock).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:36 am 

Thanks.
That gives me some ideas. how long are they?
I'd like to build a set of these and engineer some clamps to attach them to the swim platform without holes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:31 am 

JeffLW wrote:
Thanks.
That gives me some ideas. how long are they?
I'd like to build a set of these and engineer some clamps to attach them to the swim platform without holes.

They are somewhere around 42-44" long. I thought a long time about mounting the Weaver shoes to the vertical surface on the platform because I didn't want any stubbed toes. In the end, it hasn't mattered one bit - we spend a lot of time on the platform and the shoes are not even noticed. You'd be surprised at the forces you put on the arms when you are hauling the boat up, particularly with a 100 lbs motor. My first attempt broke a 3/4" starboard support that was to hold the angle while loading - just a bit of a twist and it snapped easily. If you over drill and fill with epoxy, then drill again, you'll have no issues with the coring on the platform. That said, if you come up with a clamp mechanism, I'd love to see it.