www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cover or no cover?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:15 pm 
Dolphin

I can understand the downside of towing with covers (covers tearing or coming off, flapping/rubbing against the boat, wear & tear on the cover).

What I don't understand is the upside? I guess there is a small amount of sun exposure reduction. If conditions are so dirty that dirt is the issue, I'd sure be worried about grit working between the cover and boat like sandpaper. Perhaps you could be more sloppy about packing, but the risk of losing both the cover and the stuff I didn't secure would keep me from relying on that.

Am I missing something?

-- Rich

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:29 pm 
Villiage Idiot

RichA wrote:
I can understand the downside of towing with covers (covers tearing or coming off, flapping/rubbing against the boat, wear & tear on the cover).

What I don't understand is the upside? I guess there is a small amount of sun exposure reduction. If conditions are so dirty that dirt is the issue, I'd sure be worried about grit working between the cover and boat like sandpaper. Perhaps you could be more sloppy about packing, but the risk of losing both the cover and the stuff I didn't secure would keep me from relying on that.

Am I missing something?

-- Rich

I noticed a HUGE difference in gas milage being much better with the covers on than off. And I have the low-profile windscreen. As far as a cover coming loose??? I've never witnessed that myself. It's always been as good as I did it at the beginning of the trip, whether it's the snap-on mooring covers or the strap-around trailering cover (for me, no more than 72 MPH when on the highway).

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I towed a '95 190 Horizon for 18 seasons with the bow and cockpit covers on without a problem. I removed them in the parking lot at the boat ramp and at home in the garage on each trip every weekend for 5+ months each year. The benefits of covering include better gas mileage, weather protection (heavy rain), preventing loss of boating and personal effects, preventing prying eyes, not always having room for boating stuff in tow vehicle, etc. The cover must fit well and not flap in the wind.

Disadvantages, with a good cover I can't think of any.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:36 am 

Surface Interval wrote:
I towed a '95 190 Horizon for 18 seasons with the bow and cockpit covers on without a problem. I removed them in the parking lot at the boat ramp and at home in the garage on each trip every weekend for 5+ months each year. The benefits of covering include better gas mileage, weather protection (heavy rain), preventing loss of boating and personal effects, preventing prying eyes, not always having room for boating stuff in tow vehicle, etc. The cover must fit well and not flap in the wind.

Disadvantages, with a good cover I can't think of any.

Agree with this I do!!
30 years with cover I have been towing.
Never a blown off cover have I had... (read with poor Yoda accent)

Mark
Melbourne
Australia

Boats:
Current: 2004 FW 190
2001 Mastercraft X5
1998 Malibu Response
1999 Sea Ray 180
17 ft Scimitar Barefoot (200hp Yamaha)
16ft Scimitar Ski (Yamaha 115)
1988 Ski Nautique ( Called Ski Antique)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:03 pm 

Thanks for all of the feedback. I appreciate the discussion. Just to update...I decided to remove the covers for the trip and return trip. I probably would have left them on, but like I mentioned, there is some stress to the covers caused by the support poles and I did not want to take a chance tearing the cover on the way down and not being able to use it overnight on the lake. I did not notice any major road grime in the boat. I made sure to stow everything and the trip was pretty uneventful.

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:08 am 
Shark

I really struggle with this. H190 here...

If I don't have covers, I find that the wind turbulence appears to put a bunch of stress and strain on my sunpad. Seems that wind gets under it and twice it has completely tore out the latch and/or the strike plate. Also seems to wreak havoc on my snap in carpeting. Of course, once the sunpad releases, it's like ten parachutes and emergency situation.

On the other hand, if I use covers I've been having more and more problems with the covers coming loose. I had a nightmare 300 mile trip last year where it was cold, pouring down rain in buckets and windy. I literally had to stop about every 10~15 miles and re-snap everything. It took me about 9 hours.

I've been thinking about buying a full cover from a "generic" box for 19~20" boats and using that as a redundant cover, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:21 am 
Shark

I towed my old Whaler to Florida (1100 miles) with the cover on.
I first wrapped the boat with stretch wrap where the cover would possibly rub the Gel Coat.
The I put cover on and stretch wrapped the edges of the cover so wind couldn't get under it.
Then I stretch wrapped the nose extra.

It held up well and no problems.

After I changed boats, I towed my FW's home with no cover.
When we got to the hotel I just put the snap on cover on to hide my stuff.

No problems and didn't notice boat getting dirty.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:53 am 

I towed my old boat a 19ft cuddy with a Trailerable cover from walmart. It didn't make a year and ripped off going down the highway at 65mph. It quickly became a parachute and slowed my truck down by about 15mph almost instantly. It was very scary and not something I'd ever want to experience again. The company did replace it under warranty and said that that shouldn't happen.

I remove my cover on my vista when towing, and have had no problems or worries.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 pm 

without the cover I suffered snap in carpet tears at the snaps in the stern area. the snaps stayed but the carpet ripped. Not a new carpet, but still aggravating. Some cup holders were dislodged but amazingly stayed in the boat.
Now I trailer with the custom cover, not the snap on mooring cover, and use a tie down on each side for added safety and decreased rubbing. I could just roll up the snap in carpet and pull off the few suction cup attached under helm baskets I have but that is a pain too. Also, when the snap in carpet was flailing around it knocked off one of the plastic clarion speaker covers and it was lost to the highway. Still haven't found a replacement that matches and will likely just keep as is until I buy new speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 am 

I tried to trailer with the bow/cockpit snap covers, but they balloon up and i had to repair some of the snaps that gave way....it ripped and shredded around some of the snaps. If ya gonna cover and trailer, you really need the trailering covers which are made for the stress and stay tight. They're pricey though, which is why i am not the owner of one.

I remove my snap in carpet and stow it when trailering and take my regular covers with me if going over-night. I put them on at night to keep the dew and bugs out of the boat.

I haven't had a problem with the sunpad while trailering, but do remember having to adjust the latch when i got the boat so it would close snug. The cheap backing of my snap-in carpet is coming off and blows apart if someone farts in the boat, so there is no way it would handle the open highway.

Only regret i have had is getting caught in the rain - the road grime mist makes a mess in the boat when that happens and adds another clean up when i get to the lake.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:15 pm 
Dolphin

TX H210SS wrote:
The cheap backing of my snap-in carpet is coming off and blows apart if someone farts in the boat

:lol: That's no lie!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:38 am 
Minnow

With cover. My custom cover is extremely well fitted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 am 

You can keep the cover on to keep your neighbor's roof shingles out of your boat:
Last month I left my cover on for Hurricane Irma. Rain and wind gusts over 90 mph!

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings