www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:44 pm 
Minnow

My new to me '05 H210 with the Volvo Penta 5.0L GXi has been intermittently sputtering and "missing" when I apply the throttle beyond a low or idle rpm (quickly or slow). It's very sporadic and I originally thought it was related to a fuel pump regulator that was replaced recently as it would stall and not restart from time to time. It no longer quits and starts just fine but every now and then it will run terribly when I accelerate. I have drained the fuel filter and there is no hint of water or sediment. Thought it might be fuel pump paint issue breaking down from ethanol but inside of assembly looked brand new. Fuel was treated during winterization. Only other clues are the warning horn will go off intermittently and sometimes I will shut it down and restart and engine will run like a top again. Absolutely do not want to chase down gremlins the rest of the season and shop isn't sure what is causing and I'm not ready to open up my wallet to have them do a deep dive. Any suggestions or similar issues you guys can share??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:31 pm 
230 Mike

When it's NOT doing this, what are your max RPM's?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:25 pm 
Goldfish

This might be way off base, but I had a similar issue with my 2001 and it turned out to be a very simple issue related to ignition - the screws that hold down the distributor cap had worked their way loose. It usually ran just fine (probably when the cap was firmly resting in the detents) but occasionally, it would stumble, usually on hard acceleration, like when pulling a skier out of the water. I found it when I decided to give it a tune-up, and replace the cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Not sure what the ignition system is on the '05 GXi, but it sure would be an easy fix if was just a loose distributor cap...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 am 
Minnow

230 Mike wrote:

Typically I see 4500 as a max (if I remember correctly).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 am 
Minnow

230 Mike wrote:

Typically I see 4500 as a max (if I remember correctly).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:09 am 
Minnow

Craig-o wrote:
This might be way off base, but I had a similar issue with my 2001 and it turned out to be a very simple issue related to ignition - the screws that hold down the distributor cap had worked their way loose. It usually ran just fine (probably when the cap was firmly resting in the detents) but occasionally, it would stumble, usually on hard acceleration, like when pulling a skier out of the water. I found it when I decided to give it a tune-up, and replace the cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Not sure what the ignition system is on the '05 GXi, but it sure would be an easy fix if was just a loose distributor cap...

Thanks much - I can certainly check that out easily enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:57 am 
230 Mike

Check the condition (of the whole length) of the vacuum line on the regulator. And why was the regulator replaced, and did this start right after the replacement?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:47 pm 
Minnow

The regulator was replaced because the engine would also intermittently stall and not re-start. The shop diagnosed that and replaced. Said it was faulty and sent the fuel pressure about twice what it should (100+ psi). That issue has not resurfaced since the replacement.

The intermittent sputtering and coughing has been all season. I was hoping fuel pump regulator replacement would fix both the stalling and sputtering but they may be unrelated issues.

In addition to the vacuum line check, I need to also check anti-siphon valve as I'm thinking along your line of thought that it may be a vacuum issue. ??

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:47 am 
Clownfish

Mine did the same thing. After experimenting around and changing lots of parts, we discovered it was the old ethanol gas crud sitting in the bottom of the gas tank, Took the tank out of the boat, used carb cleaner to clean the bottom of the tank, took a lot of cans, put the tank back in and watched the new antisiphon valve finally run straight gas and not the air bubbles it was showing before, Always run ethanol free gas, but in older tanks you have to get rid of the crud in the tank first, solved mine. Boat runs like new 1997 FW limited edition 240 model with the 7.4 GiDP outdrive.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 pm 
Minnow

Been a long while since I posted but at the time I was having this issue, found out the 13 year old boat (in 2018) never had a tune up. oh boy, did I feel dumb but never bothered to check as I assumed previous owners surely had done their maintenance. Spark plugs still had red paint on them. After changing them out as the distributor cap it’s been running like a top until I took it out this beautiful warm weekend in Michigan and now it won’t start. I’m suspecting the fuel pressure regulator (again) as original was replaced with a used one three years ago.