www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horizon 210
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:37 pm 
Seahorse

Hey all.. i want to get a nice ski boat for my daughter. I have been looking online at the 210 Horizon and wondering if anyone can give me some good feedback. She is 12, yes i know young, but she handles a boat like a pro. We live on the chesapeake bay and need something she can tube, ski, and wake board behind, is depenpable, and can handle a little wake - 1 to 3ft. I really love my FW 268 and want to make sure i should be loyal before making any purchase. thanks for the feed back

Post subject: Re: Horizon 210
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

I had a 1998 H200 5.0 GL (carb) SX Cobra that would handle all you describe quite easily. Are you getting rid of your 268? a small 18 foot bowrider would also fill your needs except it may be a little rough in 3 foot chop. What kind of budget are you looking to spend? I just saw a 1997 H200 with 5.7 EFI on a trailer locally here in Kingston for $14500 CAD. Pictures are crap but here's the link anyways.
http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Owner-W0QQAdIdZ264709118

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:46 pm 
Seahorse

No i'm keeping my boat just upgrading my daughter from her 16 footer. I found a local owner with a 2006 H210 and before i talm with them i thought i could get some perseptive from anyone that has had this boat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:57 pm 

I have the 210SS - same boat with a few more extras....the 210 is a nice riding boat. I wouldn't like it in a 3' chop though, but wouldn't like any bowrider in it either. The FW is a heavier boat and that model is perfect for all round use as a watersport boat. It will take bigger water than the wakeboard boats due to a higher profile, heavier and stable.

My boy is now 13 and it's perfect for us - tubing, wakeboarding and water skis. It will throw plenty wake for your use and plenty room inside for comfort. It's not the best watersport boat, not the best cruiser - but is the best of both worlds if that makes sense.

FYI - I previously had a 2010SS Bayliner, which was a little more responsive due to not being as heavy. That boat was great also, but I can take some bigger water with an easier ride in the H210 with the added free-board, deeper V and added width...with that said - you have a sedan already in your boat - if you are looking for the true sports car then look for a wakeboat (Moomba, Supra, Supreme or Natique).....that way you have the prefect waersport boat plus your existing big boy for luxury.

Keep in mind if those sport boats have very low bow profiles and 3' waves will be too much for your kidneys and tho bow of those...so if that kind of chop is common place your only option will be the 210 or something similar. THe cost of the big wakeboard rides is really cost prohibitive unless you have serious money to plop down.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:54 pm 
Seahorse

The 3 ft chop is uncommon in the creeks but it seems to pop up when you least expect it. I also looked at a sea ray 200 with all the wakeboard towers and stuff she really liked it also. The feedback is appreciated I want to make sure it’s safe for her and her friends.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 pm 
Shark

I have had my 210 is some pretty rough stuff on Lake Michigan. Just keep the bow cover on and the boat can handle 4-5 footers. The key is the bow cover on nice and tight to avoid getting swamped by an unexpected large wave.

2014 Lund WC 14

2007 H210 Volvo 5.7 Gi/SX (sold in 2012)
2007 H180 Volvo 3.0 (sold in 2009)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:25 pm 

I guess we all have gotten surprised by some big water...but getting surprised and planning for common use of the boat are very different. For me - if the waves are getting 3 plus then i'm raising the bow a tad and motoring in.

Simply put - the smaller bowriders aren't designed for it. If you have ever taken a rogue wave over the bow you now how much water that means inside the boat....take two back to back and you can be in trouble pretty quick. But if your not planning on riding in that the BR may be perfect for you. Plenty of interior space for the kiddos - nice power for the watersports and your in business.

I personally wouldn't rely on a bow cover in big water....will help with splashing water but that snap on will not handle the weight of a true wave over the bow. I don't think you will go wrong with 4W, Sea Ray or even Bayliner....the Sea Ray and Bays are both made by Brunswick Corp. All well made - all with the exact same motor/drive combinations. For the money you may look at the Bayliner 205 with the stainless upgrade, power upgrade and tower sports package....from what I was looking at you get more boat for the same money. That was my direction when i ran across the used 4W i have now.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 am 
Goldfish

Just my 2 cents but one of the reasons that I sold my H210 last year was the 19 degree deadrise.... It was not a good riding boat (really seemed to "slap" the water). I had a 19ft. Glastron prior to my H210, and the Glastron with a 21 degree deadrise rode MUCH better... Anyways, just my opinion but the H210 is NOT a good riding boat in any kind of chop...

2008 Four Winns 210 SS -- Red
5.7L Gi/SX - Volvo - 14 3/4 x 21 ss prop (62 mph)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 pm 
Seahorse

Her 16 footer slaps like that. it drives me nuts that why i stay on my boat and she and her friends can have the ski boat. I cant wait to get some warm water so we can water test a few different boats. We are going to look at a few more Sea Rays this weekend and any other boat we come across.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:37 am 
268 Vista

eversosc wrote:
We are going to look at a few more Sea Rays this weekend and any other boat we come across.

Look at the 205 Sport. It's a gem. Some recent honors and accolades for the 205.
Quote:
March 11, 2011 Sea Ray Boats is proud to announce that its 205 Sport, a perennial top performer in the company’s four-model Sport Series, ranks as the best-selling sterndrive bowrider over 20 feet, according to data from Statistical Surveys, Inc.
Third-party acknowledgement of the 205 Sport confirms it is a true stand-out in today’s highly competitive marine marketplace. In 2008, the boat was rated a “Best Buy” in Consumer Digest magazine, a recognition received by less than 3 percent of the competing models in an given product category. The editors at Consumer Digest said the 205 Sport “delivers big fun for its price,” citing it has “plenty of oomph for water skiers and kids on tow tubes” and includes popular water-sports options such as an aluminum tower and speed control. “Many bowriders aren’t equipped to handle these,” said the editors.

In addition, as part of the “Sterndrive Bowrider Boats” class, the 205 Sport has been honored with seven consecutive Marine Industry Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Awards by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA).
Indeed, the 205 Sport provides a superior ownership experience by offering three floor plans that allow buyers to customize the boat to suit their particular desires.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:41 am 
Seahorse

Thanks that is one that the dealer has. All...Thanks for the input and should have pics in the next couple of weeks. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:20 am 

If you're concerned about safety in wakes and waves, I would not buy any bowrider that is not self bailing for a young kid, I would instead put them in a cuddy, or even better a dual console fishing style boat with a self bailing deck and outboard power. Both make the boat for its size safer than a comparable I/O bowrider that is not self bailing. I looked at the Sea Ray 205 at the Nassau County boat show, nice but lower freeboard and low seats compared to my old 200. One of the reasons why I kept the 88 is that it is about the size of a FW 210 (it's 20'9" long) and it has a 21* deadrise, so it rides great for its size. But in my boating conditions (bays of North Shore Long Island and LI Sound), I would not put any younger or less experienced boater in an open bow non self bailing boat, period.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:41 pm 
Seahorse

After a long day of boat shopping, mostly sea rays, she liked the 205 but i'm still not sold. as so for a cuddy i understand the concern with the wake but i have more concern of the boys :evil: she has the bowrider now that does ok just to small for the area.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:59 am 

Ha Ha, that's a good one, first time that I've heard that being a reason not to get a cuddy, but as a concerned father you gotta do what you gotta do...
Still though if she ever gets into bigger water (and all it takes, is a couple of wakes from two different boats to meet at the same point and you can have a wall of water 4 ft high), a more sea worthy open bow boat (Whaler, Grady, or if wanting a lower price, Key West, et al) is the way I'd go. Small bowriders non self bailing are calm lake boats....they can be used in bigger water areas, by experienced operators, but I'd be concerned about putting a kid in one.....

For example, I think a Key West 2020 dual console with a 150 hp Yamaha 4 stroke can be bought for about the same price or less than a FW 210, maybe a bit more than the SR 205 but keep in mind, Chesapeake Bay is brackish/salt, the KW will perform better, cost less to maintain, and hold its value better, in addition to being safer. Pretty much an easy choice the way I see it...

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/show/id/20

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:36 am 
268 Vista

While the "fishy" style DC's and CC's are more suited to big water. They are not the best ski boats or wakeboard boats . Far from it. I think there is a bit too much worry here about wakes and waves. A 20 foot bowrider will handle most conditions well. Not designed for offshore use, but I suspect there would be very little need for her to attempt skiing on the ocean.

Stick with a bowrider for her. Whatever brand and model you choose, it will be more suited to her needs than a DC or CC.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy