www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wakeboard towing advice
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:28 am 
Seahorse

Hi guys, new to boats and wakeboarding. Waiting for the weather to get better before we get out and try it all out. Now, I can find loads of videos on how to get up on the board but I can't find any on how to drive the boat to pull a boarder. Can anyone offer some guidance? We have a wake tower and all the gear. Do you start off steady, nail it or what. Any help appreciated.

Boat is an Horizon H210 with a 350 Mag.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:51 am 
Shark

Hi Mike,

Coming from a water skiing background, I attempted to start the boat in similar fashion with a hard pull to get the boarder up initially. I can assure you this is NOT the correct method! Given that wakeboards have so much more surface area, they come out of the water with very little pull required. We just start out steadily increasing throttle until the rider is up. I'm sure you can tell from the videos how easily boarders just stand out of the water with little effort.

Once the boarder is up it is largely personal preference on speed but we are normally 17-21mph.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:55 am 
Villiage Idiot

As far as the rider is concerned, watch the videos.... Then get yourself a video camera to critique yourselves immediately after a ride.
#1 Don't fight the boat.
#2 Don't fight the boat.
#3 Don't fight the boat.

As you have basically the same boat/engine I have, I typically start the pull at 3500-4000RPM, and throttle back as the boat and rider planes. Once Perfect Pass-Stargazer Wake kicks in, I just stear. At $1200 it's a pricy cruise control, but well worth it! (Reduced driver work load, consistent speed for the rider) I have an install thread, as does someone else on the forum... just check them out.

At a minimum, use a GPS for accurate/consistent speed. 15-18 for beginners, 17-20 for more comfort (turning, some jumps), 20-22 for those more advanced (wake-wake jumps, etc).

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:58 am 
Seahorse

Cheers guys, great advice :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:49 am 
email admin your custom rank

You need start out steadily gently throttle up until the rider is up then keep speed around 20 to 22mph…. If your Merc is DTS installing Smart Craft is a very nice system for enhancement… We ordered on out new boat and they are great… We programed strength of holeshot and top speed or RPM. Then just pull the throttle lever to full position… The boat will pick up itself and stay at programed speed… You can set up a number of different strength and keep the program so all you need to do is select program and off you go… Very easy…
We use the system a lot last weekend … this was the first time I satisfied with my Admiral’s towing…. All she did was select my program (strength + speed) then engage a throttle lever all the way down… then she just steer the boat… Gave me a smile Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:21 pm 
Shark

Part of the fun for me is towing.......being good at selecting the right speed and power to get someone out of the water....all part of the Hobby.

that being said, man do I get mad at my wife when she won't pick a speed and stick with it!!! I still wouldn't want the cruise control thing though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

Easiest instruction....steady speed increase from stop to around 18 to 20 MPH. Shoot for about a 7 to 8 second count to get to speed.

Trick is keeping speed steady with varied wind, wave and boarder pulling on boat...forget the rpms and engine sounds and focus on speed being steady. Reason in engine will RV more to stay at 20 MPH heading into wind.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi