www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wakeboard prop
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:41 am 
Starfish

I took up wakeboarding this summer and have found I can get up much easier behind all my friends boats better then mine. Of course one has a Ski Nautique and the other a Malibu. So I figure I need a bit more power or hole shot in order to get up I am not a small guy. So I think I have read about every post on here about props and what to get I have a 200 with the 220 hp Volvo. So I figured I would need to drop form the stock 21 down to a 19 SS. My question is can you really feel the difference? Is it very noticeable, and if you are the skier can you feel the difference in your boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:02 pm 
Narwhal

With my 200, still have the stock prop and the 225HP 4.3GXi which doesn't weigh as much as your 5.0GS, I notice that weight distribution has a great deal to do with how quickly the boat planes. (Not sure if the sunsport seating option I have affects weight distribution as well.) I'd suggest that next time you're out wakeboarding, you try to get more passenger weight up in the bow - I believe it would make nearly as big a difference as dropping pitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Stern drives have alot to do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:59 am 
Minnow

You should really look at going with a 4 or 5 blade prop. I just picked up an '02 200 horizon with the 4.3 GXi, and I'll definitely be putting a 4 blade on, if not going all the way with a mercury High 5. Those things are supposed to get a skiier up in no time, not to mention allow for a slower planing speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:32 am 
Seahorse

Firefly wrote:
You should really look at going with a 4 or 5 blade prop. I just picked up an '02 200 horizon with the 4.3 GXi, and I'll definitely be putting a 4 blade on, if not going all the way with a mercury High 5. Those things are supposed to get a skiier up in no time, not to mention allow for a slower planing speed.
I have a 5 blade stainless high-five blade on a 200hp Merc EFI outboard my Ranger Fish and Ski. Will do close to 70mph and jumps out the hole. It's a a great ski boat, w/ high factory ski pole. But... it doesn't throw any wake at all. Nor do some the the ski boats that you mentioned - unless they are equipped with bladders or other wake producers. Once you get used to getting up and cutting turns on the wakeboard, you'll want a wake to jump. Power gets you up, but if you're wakeboarding - you want a wake. That's one of the reasons we bought the 230. It's a wife pleaser (the large layout) and a kid pleaser (throws a much bigger wake than the Ranger - and the kids are not professionals and do not need a HUGE wake). Works for us since my teens are between are probably between 140-160lbs and the 230 has plenty of power to get them right up and out of the water. Anyway - if you're into wake boarding and considering swapping boats - think wake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:00 am 
Starfish

I will have to see if I can locate the article I read this in but it said that you only need to go up a blade if you have slippage. Otherwise a 4 blade prop does nothing for you. In the past they would run more smooth because they where easier to balance. But with today’s manufacturing technology they can balance a 3 blade almost as good. So if you have no slippage at your current pitch and you go to a 4 blade you are only adding more drag at higher speeds.

It also said something about bass boats and big HP outboard motors and why they prop them with the high five but I can’t remember I will see if I can find where I read it at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:07 am 

You're always going to have some slippage. A 4 or 5 blade prop is going to cost you some top-end speed, but that is the sacrifice you make for the better holeshot and low-speed planing characteristics of these props. Unfortunately, you just can't have both at the same time.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:32 am 
Starfish

Thanks for all your comments so far, they are all appreciated.

I wasn’t trying to start the typical 3 vs 4 blade, what prop should I use thread but this seems to be turning into that. From what I read if you change your prop from 3 to 4 blades only, keeping the pitch and diameter the same you will not see much difference at all in performance. You have a little (minor) increase in hole shot do to less slippage because you have more surface area of blade, you also lose a little top end again because more blade area equals more drag.

As far as planning speed that is always the same and is based on the hull design and weight of your boat. The only thing the prop will do is lower the amount of time to get on plane by increasing your hole shot.

I was just hoping that someone could put a little real world feel to this all and say if they felt a big difference or not much and how that effected them being towed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:00 pm 
Narwhal

When switching from AL to SS, I've heard a 'down one' drop in pitch is the rule of thumb. I'm wondering if that alone will give you the drop in time to plane along with the lower planing speed it sounds like you're looking for.

To expand on TxJ's point, the Ski Nautiques and Malibus with the center mount engines, and drive shafts that extend below the hull are going to be tuff to emulate with an I/O - as the weight's mostly in the back with the Horizon series, and nicely centered with those dedicated ski boats. Do those boats even have trim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:15 pm 
Clownfish

Jim_R wrote:
To expand on TxJ's point, the Ski Nautiques and Malibus with the center mount engines, and drive shafts that extend below the hull are going to be tuff to emulate with an I/O - as the weight's mostly in the back with the Horizon series, and nicely centered with those dedicated ski boats. Do those boats even have trim?

No trim adjustments for inboard ski boats. For wakeboarding, some have "wedges", or "plates" that can be engaged to create a bigger wake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:13 am 
Starfish

The Malibu is a rear mounted engine with a v-drive so all the weight is still in the back, it’s still an inboard and can’t be trimmed. I think the biggest difference is the extra 100 HP they have over my boat. Certainly in hindsight I would have bought a bigger engine. Don’t get me wrong its fine for most but being a beginner and bigger then the average guy make it a bit harder. It’s full throttle and don’t stand up till you really get moving as oppose to the ski boats half throttle pop right up.

I am hoping the prop change will help. I will most likely be waiting till next season now. Unfortunately it feels like fall is setting in.

The best would be if I could try a few different ones and document the difference in performance between them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:22 am 

willidg wrote:
The Malibu is a rear mounted engine with a v-drive so all the weight is still in the back, it’s still an inboard and can’t be trimmed. I think the biggest difference is the extra 100 HP they have over my boat. Certainly in hindsight I would have bought a bigger engine. Don’t get me wrong its fine for most but being a beginner and bigger then the average guy make it a bit harder. It’s full throttle and don’t stand up till you really get moving as oppose to the ski boats half throttle pop right up.

I am hoping the prop change will help. I will most likely be waiting till next season now. Unfortunately it feels like fall is setting in.

The best would be if I could try a few different ones and document the difference in performance between them.

Thats not it at all. An I/O has twice the bow rise as a V-drive. That means all your "pull power" on an I/O is pushing down, not pulling like a V-driveImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:49 pm 
Starfish

Txjole - I think I understand what you’re saying. I never thought about that. Although the bow on his Malibu is pretty high after he fills the entire rear ballast, adds the tote of bricks and 4 guys sitting in the back. But I see what you’re saying. That boat just goes and ours tips up and then goes.

Obviously I am not trying to reproduce the performance of a very specialized boat. Only to improve one to something that works a little better for me.

I would have to think your SS (280-300HP?) would pull me up better then mine (220HP) would you agree with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:11 pm 

Not sure I agree that the small amount of HP that you are talking about it going to make a huge difference pulling you up. Maybe it will, but I'm not convinced. I guess it is because I learned to slalom and wakeboard behind an I/O with a 4CYL 140HP in it with just a stock 3-blade aluminum prop. In my mind anything like what you and I are both using to pull doesn't cause anyone a problem pulling up, regardless of size.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject: Re: Wakeboard prop
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:48 am 
life to the full

Thought I might chime in here with a question
How is your technique???
Also get your driver to bring the power on steadily as opposed to just slamming it on to flat out
I slalom ski behind my 15 foot aluminum runabout 70 hp johnson and believe me at 200 pounds technique is really important!!
Hope this helps
Ardy
South Oz