www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:50 pm 

SAN FERNANDO - The attorney of a man charged with manslaughter in a Memorial Day boating collision on Pyramid Lake said Thursday that a defective inner tube may have contributed to the death his client is accused of causing.

Because of the dangerous reputation of the tube - which was recalled last week - John Galvan, 46, of Panorama City was not responsible for the death of his friend, Galvan's attorney Steven Cron said Thursday.

Galvan appeared in court Thursday to schedule his preliminary hearing for Aug. 28.

On May 29, Galvan's friend Edward Gomez, 38, was ejected from his inner tube head first into a stationary boat and later died from his injuries at Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital.

Cron said the 10-foot-wide tube Gomez was riding on was a Sportsstuff Wego Kite Tube, which was recalled by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on July 13 after 39 injuries and two deaths were reported to the sports product manufacturers.

Since the recall, the company has pulled the tubes off the market.

"There have been many reported injuries and two deaths related to this tube," said Cron, adding that the tube is designed to fly in the air behind a boat.

At the time of his arrest, Galvan had a blood alcohol level of 0.08 percent, the legal limit for intoxication, Cron said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:00 pm 
I fix stuff

sorry to see anyone get hurt or worse, and I am glad that tube was pulled from market. The kid (22) wanted one and I basically said not behind my boat. Glad I stuck to my guns. His mother would have never forgiven me...

2001 CBR1100XX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:18 am 
Narwhal

Sad situation no matter how you look at it. Having said that, in my opinion if there's any physical possibility of a tuber (and I mean on any kind of tube) hitting a stationary object, the fault lies with the operator of the towing vehicle. 200 feet is the minimum separation at anything above no wake in my book. An inner tube bursting could not place that stationary object within range of collision. I'm thinking the defendant took a risk with somebody else's life. Too bad SportStuff got dragged into it, but by now SportStuff should know their products suffer abuse at the hands of consumers, and should recognize the risks of offering such a product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:03 pm 
Shark

sounds like a slick willie lawyer helping another idiot avoid responseability. Drive into a bridge, ski into a tree... you get hurt, not the manufactures' fault. Personally I'm sorry they recalled the kite. Looks like a great new sport. Also looked easier and safer than kite boarding. Is there any sport with no risk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:12 am 
Shark

googled this picture. maybe its a good thing...still, its a free world. 'normal' tubing is dangerous enough in the wrong hands, as are boats... but this tube looks less forgiving !!
check out how high the rider is as he falls off. the photographer estimated 30ft....
http://www.banksphotos.com/news.cfm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:36 am 
Shark

Thanks for the interesting link although my server couldn't open it.
Maybe he shouldn't been up so high. Freestyle skiers get more "air" than that over rocks!
All sports are dangerous, more so when people choose to be careless.
"It's a free country"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:30 pm 
wkearney99

Call me cynical, but two drunk old dudes trying to ride a kite tube? Yeah, sure they weren't going well above the recommended speed for pulling it. I know it might sound mean, but if they're pulling stunts like this I'm surprised they lived this long.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:38 pm 
Guppy

i would try it....if only just once.