www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:58 pm 
Starfish

Started wakeboarding the end of the season last year. So far this year I've gone twice and I'm getting a lot more comfortable and even began trying to get some air this weekend. I'm open to any advice/ suggestions on how to get better and learn new tricks. Here's a few pics from today:

cheers

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:27 am 
life to the full

Well according to my fun meter you seem to be scoring fairly high. As for advice get as much time at the end of the rope as you can . Sorry I can't be any more help

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:14 am 
Starfish

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

Are you just doing one-wake jumps right now or what? I guess I'm asking what you're looking to do. Are working toward wake 2 wake, or are you already doing that? Looks like you're pulling some decent air on the one-wakers you posted pics of.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 pm 
Starfish

I'm only clearing one wake right now. I'd like to clear 2 but I really don't know how to extend the length of the jump. I'd also like to jump higher so I can try to do some tricks while I'm airborne. I'm pretty much open to any and all suggestions for improvement. Also, pics to show what you're talking about are appreciated. Thanks,
J

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:45 pm 

1. Are you using a wakeboarding line or a regular ski rope? Just by the pics, looks like a wb line. That is a good start. If not, get one. A regular rope stretches a lot, while a wb rope is a non-stretch. The stretch matters because the recoil will pull you on your face in mid-air if you really edging hard into the wake to jump.

2. Running any extra weight in the boat as ballast? Ballast will increase the lip/ramp on your wake. I run about 700 lbs in between my bow seats. Makes a big difference in the wake's size.

3. How fast are you running and what length rope? Slower speeds=better wake for jumping (18-22 MPH). Shorter rope=easier to clear both wakes and then you can move back as you get better.

4. Progressive Edging Technique: clearing the wake requires you to build a progressively harder edge as you approach the wake. You should pull out to the side and then EASE back in, building a harder and harder edge as you hit the top of the wake. Your hardest edging should be right as you go up the wake. Be sure you understand the difference between progressive edging and cutting out and just charging back in really hard at the wake. They are not the same thing, and hard-charging to the wake will result in less success and more wipeouts as you try to go wake to wake.

5. Handle placement: any time you ride, the rope handle should be pretty much held against your front hip (when riding goofy, like you are in the pic (I ride goofy, too!), that is your right hip). This provides consistency and keeps you from bending at the waist-you should do it that way at ALL times, not just when jumping. It helps you also keep from catching toeside edges and faceplanting. You aren't doing this in any of the pics you posted. Break that habit now, before it gets too hard to break. If you're a skier (I used to be), it is very hard to break-but very important.

6. Stiff Knees and spine: you won't make it across the wake very often if you are breaking at the waist (bowing toward the boat). You need to stand tall when you hit the wake so that your shoulders, spine, and hips are in a straight line that is leaning away from the boat. If you roll your shoulders forward or keep all your weight on your toes or the balls of your feet, you are going to be absorbing a lot of the wake's energy with the bend in your spine. Standing tall also means you must avoid absorbing the wake's impact with your knees. Stand tall-it puts your spine and your knees in position to launch you up instead of absorbing the wake's energy.

Some of this stuff I'm sure you've already heard or you already have figured out. You will more than likely get to a point where you aren't quite making it w2w but you feel like you're doing everything you're supposed to do. If that happens, you need to get some video and post it. It is a great tool to know what you are thinking back there while watching yourself. As they say, the camera never lies.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:10 pm 
Seahorse

check out http://www.wakeworld.com and click on the discussion to access the forum. Everything you need to know about wakeboarding can be found there. I thought I was decent and was very humbled by the guys on that forum. Just use the search and be occupied for hours.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:40 pm 

in addition, I'm an avid participant at the wakeboarder.com discussion forum. Lots of GREAT info in there in the "Newbie Questions" section. I believe there are quite a few links to video on both wakeworld.com and wakeboarder.com that will help you see what it should look like.

Fire away with questions here if you want, though. I'm always willing to help someone out-I got the same at one point (and could still use quite a bit :lol:). One other suggestion: get a copy of "The Book: Volume 2." I cannot put into words how great it is and how much it helped me.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:48 pm 
GIDDY UP

Warning! "The Book" will help everything but your pocketbook.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:18 pm 
Starfish

Hey Pet, thanks for the info!
1. Yes, I'm using a wakeboarding line. It's a 75' Accurate with an 85' extension I don't use.

2. I don't run any ballast but I've discovered that if I trim out my motor just right and run about 22 mph it gives me a sweet wake about 18 inches high.

3. Doing ~22 mph with 75' of line.

4. Progressive Edging Technique: Yeah I have no idea what that means. I try to edge to get out away from the boat and then turn the opposite edge to move back to the wake as fast as I can to hit the wake quickly. I try not to be edging when I actually hit the wake. I guess this is wrong. I'll try your technique this weekend.

5. I had heard the hip thing from another guy before but the importance wasn't stressed. I'll do it from now on.

6. Stiff Knees and spine: Sweet. I heard this today from somebody else who did not really explain it. I think I get it and wilco.

We're bringing the video cam on the next outing. It'll probably be a never ending stream of mistakes but I know it'll be some good stuff to learn from.

Thanks so much. I can't wait to go try out all this new stuff. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:19 pm 

Brent87LT1 wrote:
Warning! "The Book" will help everything but your pocketbook.

If you buy the entire set, that is correct. However, you only need Volume 2 right now. You are already doing pretty much everything Volume 1 covers, and the next few volumes are all about tricks that you aren't ready to try yet, anyway.

OK, in response to your stuff:

1. Good that you have the right line.

2. You will constantly have to play with the trim if you have different amounts of weight in the boat. The best and cheapest ballast is 3-4 people sitting in the bow and passenger seats. Don't let anyone sit in the aft cockpit seats. I/O's do best with all or most of the weight in the front half of the boat. You can use the trim to get it right. More weight will make that sweet 18" more like 22-24" of wake with a decent lip on it. It will also harden the wake a bit so that it doesn't feel soft when you hit it. You will go up the wake more instead of crashing through it. Trust me on this. Get yourself at least 500 lbs in the boat outside of the driver. Doesn't matter if it is water or people, but do it.

3. I'd HIGHLY recommend you slow down to about 20 MPH AND knock 10' off that line. No offense, but you're never going to make it wake 2 wake ("w2w") at 22MPH/75 feet until you get a LOT more weight in the boat and get your progressive edging technique down perfectly. If you slow it down a bit, the wake shape will be better 10' closer to the boat but it will be a narrower jump for you to get w2w much easier and build your confidence.

4. Progressive Edging Technique is the term of art used by the wakeboard pros and experts to explain the continued building of energy and speed as you edge harder and harder toward the wake. If you just cut hard and flatten out, you'll pull a little bit of air but you will never be able to consistently w2w and you'll never get enough pop up into the air to try 180's, 360's, or any inverted tricks. The edging technique basically builds all of the energy and tension into the rope so that you get launched when all the energy releases as you hit the top of the lip of the wake.

5. Yes, the hip is fundamental so good that you start sooner. Same thing with the arms. They bend at the elbows to hold the rope at the hip. They are NEVER straight out like a 2-skied water skier.

6. You are basically trying to avoid absorbing the wave with your back or knees. If you were ever a skier, BMX or mountain biker, or snow skier, this pretty much cuts against EVERYTHING you learned over the years. In those activities, your fundamentals included absorbing bounce with your knees, hips, spine, and elbows. In wakeboarding, you have to unlearn this habit. As a former slalom skier, 2-skied skier, BMX/mountain bike rider, etc., this was easily the hardest part of me learning to w2w.

Get that video of yourself. I'm willing to bet you are a LOT closer to getting it than you think. You will feel even more that way when you shorten your rope and slow down a bit.

Here are a few links to help you out a bit with understanding weighting and jumping. Keep in mind that the discussions on weighting pertain to inboards. I/O's require almost no weight in the rear, so keep that in mind.

Discussion of weighting your boat
http://wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip029.asp

Discussion of wake jumping using progressive edging technique
http://wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip002.asp

Another discussion of jumping using p.e.t.
http://wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip009.asp

Video of a heelside w2w jump
http://wakeworld.com/TrickList/TrickTip009a.asp

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:16 am 

Here's another link I wanted to post for you yesterday but was having vapor lock and couldn't remember where to find it:

http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=50