www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Life Jackets
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 am 
email admin your custom rank

Quote:
•Inflatable lifejackets must have a full cylinder and all status indicators on the inflator must be green, or the device is NOT serviceable, and does NOT satisfy the requirement to carry lifejackets.

That is if the cylinder ISNT full and the status indicator ISNT green. So if they are, then I take that as they are approved

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:20 am 

jsimon wrote:
Quote:
•Inflatable lifejackets must have a full cylinder and all status indicators on the inflator must be green, or the device is NOT serviceable, and does NOT satisfy the requirement to carry lifejackets.

That is if the cylinder ISNT full and the status indicator ISNT green. So if they are, then I take that as they are approved

Yes & No. Approved that it is a good working unit, YES. The key words here are "AND does not satisfy". You really need to be a lawyer here!!

I take it as, good or not as to "full cylinder and all status indicators" that they do not satisfy the (law) requirements to carry PDF on board. They don't float (unless auto ones deploy) if the boat goes down. Bottom line, law or no law, I would still carry the normal PDFs.

Anther point here is, there only counted if your wearing it and it is "all status indicators on the inflator must be green"

Enough said on this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:36 am 

I just called the US Coast Guard station Bay City, and asked specificallly if the USCG Type 3 inflatable pfd's need to be worn to have the approval and was told "no" they do not.

If it has the USCG approval number on them and the green indicator is showing they are in his words,"good to go"

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm 

There are Type V inflatable pfd's too. Maybe different laws on the different types. I never looked as to the types, but I do carry both inflatable & non-inflatable.

As I mentioned, I had the U.S.C.G. board me. I had these over the backs of the seats. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=911027 A pouch type. They did mention that they are not counted to me, but they were right there if anything were to happen. They did count them, because they coundn't be any closer to us other than wearing them. And that most "boaters have them stored away"

Oh well........

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:46 pm 

jsimon wrote:
I just called the US Coast Guard station Bay City, and asked specificallly if the USCG Type 3 inflatable pfd's need to be worn to have the approval and was told "no" they do not.

If it has the USCG approval number on them and the green indicator is showing they are in his words,"good to go"

You got me thinking!!! So it depends on the "TYPE"

From West Marine: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... on-Devices

"The Coast Guard requires that water-activated “automatic” inflatables with non-1F inflators have to be worn to be counted in the vessel’s inventory of life jackets. The most recent models with 1F inflators, so-called “stowables”, don’t have to be worn to be counted as inventory. Finally, the inshore Coastal Series inflatables use a 25gr. cylinder, and provide 26lb. of flotation. They are only legal when worn."