www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Life Jackets
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:01 pm 
Shark

Any suggestions? I am going always buy a new life jacket each and every year for the kids. Want to make sure they always fit perfectly and are comfortable, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on those, however, my wife and I have stopped growing---really, I have stopped growing dang it. What type of jacket would you recommend? I will occasionally board, very novice, and tube, but want something that is comfortable, form fitting as much as possible, and will last for many years. Same for my wife.

Appreciate the help.

First day on the water planned for Next Monday!!! So can't wait...just waiting for the dual batteries and the stereo up grade to get installed this week. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Life Jackets
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Different life jackets for different purposes. You don't want to wear wakeboarding lifejacket when your boat is sinking.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:11 pm 
Shark

Really? Why is that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:23 pm 

Just make sure the lifejacket is Coast Guard approved - Many (but not all) ski/board jackets are.

You didn't mention how old/big your kids are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:25 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Check them all out, and get 2 that fit you and the same for the admiral. I have a Jet-Pilot that I use the most, and 2 SWS's that I am happy with and use as "loaners". Also, make sure they are USCG rated, and I always wear a rash-guard if I am doing any water sports. Those are also nice for floating as they reduce the likelyhood of sunburn, and keep them wet, and they'll keep cool. They do dry quickly though.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 pm 

My wife & I use these when cruising. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 4&id=81471

And these for everone else, http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1891271 Better than those cheap ones that they give you when you buy a boat.

I have 2 of these too, great for hot days for people that are nervous, http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1762014

REMEMBER too, its just NOT that you have as many life jackets as people on board. BUT, the MUSt everyone on board too!! SO if you have a 60lb child or a 350lb person, it must fit them to size. Its a Federal law.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:39 am 

Since storage is such a premium, I have been slowly replacing all the adult size jackets with the inflatalbes. I have been getting them form West Marine. They are on sale 2 or 3 times a year for like $110.00

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 pm 

My wife and I use these Mustang inflatables:

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreati ... recreation

They are comfortable and we wear them ALL the time unless anchored. They are self inflating and detect water depth not just wet.

We use Sea-Doo branded Freewave pfd's on our pwc, they are a good fit, male and female versions. They are warm to wear but comfortable.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:25 pm 

Just one thing to keep in mind regarding the inflatables, they don't count as a life jacket unless they are being worn (at least in Canada). I would interpret this to mean you even need to wear them when anchored to be valid.
My wife and I have inflatables for when we go forward on the deck, but typically boat without them on so we also ensure we have enough jacket style.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:22 pm 

weather wrote:
Just one thing to keep in mind regarding the inflatables, they don't count as a life jacket unless they are being worn (at least in Canada). I would interpret this to mean you even need to wear them when anchored to be valid.
My wife and I have inflatables for when we go forward on the deck, but typically boat without them on so we also ensure we have enough jacket style.

Same here in the good old U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:19 pm 

Paul I. wrote:

?? - Is that accurate? Out here, kids 12 and under need to be wearing them, but for adults you just have to have enough on-board....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:58 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
weather wrote:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/life_jacket_wear_wearing_your_life_jacket.aspx

Quote:
Things to Know:
•Certain life jackets are designed to keep your head above water and help you remain in a position which permits proper breathing.

•To meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements, a boat must have a U.S. Coast Guard-approved Type I, II, III, or V life jacket for each person aboard. Boats 16 feet and over must have at least one Type IV throwable device as well.
•All states have regulations regarding life jacket wear by children.

•Adult-sized life jackets will not work for children. Special life jackets are available. To work correctly, a life jacket must be worn, fit snugly, and not allow the child’s chin or ears to slip through.
• Life jackets should be tested for wear and buoyancy at least once each year. Waterlogged, faded, or leaky jackets should be discarded.

•Life jackets must be properly stowed.

•A life jacket — especially a snug-fitting flotation coat or deck-suit style — can help you survive in cold water.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99804&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50469&subdeptNum=50470&classNum=50481

I think they inflatabales are covered

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:07 pm 

jsimon wrote:
Paul I. wrote:
weather wrote:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/life_jacket_wear_wearing_your_life_jacket.aspx

Quote:
Things to Know:
•Certain life jackets are designed to keep your head above water and help you remain in a position which permits proper breathing.

I have had the U.S.C.G. board me and I hang mine over the backs of the seats. They were good about, because all we had to do is turn around & put them on. So they did not ask to see the othe PDFs.

•To meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements, a boat must have a U.S. Coast Guard-approved Type I, II, III, or V life jacket for each person aboard. Boats 16 feet and over must have at least one Type IV throwable device as well.
•All states have regulations regarding life jacket wear by children.

•Adult-sized life jackets will not work for children. Special life jackets are available. To work correctly, a life jacket must be worn, fit snugly, and not allow the child’s chin or ears to slip through.
• Life jackets should be tested for wear and buoyancy at least once each year. Waterlogged, faded, or leaky jackets should be discarded.

•Life jackets must be properly stowed.

•A life jacket — especially a snug-fitting flotation coat or deck-suit style — can help you survive in cold water.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99804&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50469&subdeptNum=50470&classNum=50481

I think they inflatabales are covered

Read about half way down: http://sailing.about.com/od/lawsregulat ... Dlegal.htm

•The PFD must actually be worn to meet the USCG carriage requirement for having one PFD onboard per person—unlike inherently buoyant lifejackets, which are not required to be worn at all times (except by children) but which must be readily accessible.

Becuase they are not buoyant. If the boat goes down, they will not float to the surface.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 pm 

Read under inflatables

I'm going to call the coast guard tomorrow to be sure. We are going on a trip this weekend, that's all I need! :shock:

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:14 pm 

jsimon wrote:

Read under inflatables

I'm going to call the coast guard tomorrow to be sure. We are going on a trip this weekend, that's all I need! :shock:

"and does NOT satisfy the requirement to carry lifejackets." From your link.