www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: merc 3.0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:23 pm 
Tadpole

i recentlly boat a got from my father inlaw it is a 86 freedom 1 with the 140 in it he had not run the boat in years i went to check the oil and it was frozen so i let it thaw out and drained it about 2 quarts of pure water came out then about 2 quarts of chocolate milk came out this is my first boat with a I\O in it i noticed the water inlet had alot of rust in it so today i took off the head top end looks ok alot of rust in the water jackets though and will not turn over by hand so what i was woundering do you guys think its worth it to rebulid it or look for another motor im in Pa does anyone know of a good place to look for one like a boat scrap yard or online scrap yard any input would be appriciated thanks

Post subject: Re: merc 3.0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 pm 
230 Mike

What condition is the rest of the boat in - stringers, floor, helm, steering mechanisms, etc. You can't tell much of anything by the cosmetic condition of the hull. I think you need to have a good understanding of the overall condition before deciding what to do with the engine.

If those other parts of the boat are good, I think I'd look at a rebuilt engine. I'm not sure you'd be able to know whether that one's good for a rebuild without tearing it down.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:03 pm 
Tadpole

yeah i already started tearing it down i have the head h20 pump off and all the elctrical off i just gatta get it out and pull the pan and check the bottom end. but im having trouble findind a rebuild kit. as for the rest of the boat i plan on gutting the floor and carpet and puting new stuff in i knew all that prior to getting the boat just didnt know about the motor it was pretty much you want the boat come get it out of here but like i said hasnt seen water in atleast five years or been run

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:10 pm 
230 Mike

Oh, OK. How 'bout the drive? Sounds like a nice project.

Do you plan to use the boat a lot? I still think I'd at least check the cost of a rebuilt motor. But that's more a statement about my philosophy about things than it is about your existing motor.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:19 pm 
Tadpole

yeah i hear yea deffinetlly is a nice project ive been looking for rebulds i put a battery in it earlier and tried to move the drive up and down but it wouldnt go when i went down to the marina earlier i asked one of the guys about the drive he said laughing hit it with a sleg then itll move i guess cuz the hydro fluid gets slugy i dont know that stuff is new to me im an auto tech the motor i can handle but im still learing as i go my brother in law is helping me hes been around boats his whole life so that all him thier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:15 pm 
230 Mike

Well, whatever you do, DON'T use the sledge on your drive :roll: .

Your trim pump motor is probably shot, or the connections to it are corroded, or the fuse or breaker on it is blown/tripped, it's out of fluid, or all the above. That's OK, you're tearing this thing completely apart anyway, that's just another part that needs done.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:32 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

Start taking pictures now. This will be a fun project to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:41 pm 
Minnow

St. Louis Dave wrote:
Start taking pictures now. This will be a fun project to watch.

Agreed. Hopefully it isn't a complete loss and you can get it back in the water.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:34 pm 
Minnow

If you have to replace the block, they changed in 91. You have to get a kit for the retro, but you can get a new longblock with distributor and fuel pump for $2600.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/produc ... 25668.aspx

I did mine last year and I am glad I got to tinker around. I have more in it than I could sell it for, but She is perfect for what I wanted.

Named her 401K