www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:21 pm 
Seahorse

Hi everyone,

Kind of new to the site, I just lurk a lot, I've only posted a couple of times. However, I think I really need some help now, I'm located in Norcal and we just had a preview of summer Fri/Sat/Sun was in the 80's and 90's, that was short lived, because today it was back to the 60's....Anyways, I have a 01 FW180 with the VP 4.3/1.79 SX I just put a 4 blade 21P prop and a fin on it.

I noticed Sat that when accelerating out of the hole the oil pressure would shoot up 3/4 to 7/8 of the way and when it planned out it would go to the 1/2 to 5/8 way point. Is this normal? Should I try and put the 3 blade prop back on and see if it makes a difference.

I checked the temp gauge and it was okay, half way point and the engine looked and sounded fine....no leaks or milky fluids all clear.... Any help would be great fully appreciated. I just had the 100 service done last year and it only has 200 hrs on it..... I called one place and they said bring it in, however I called another and they said that it sounds normal for oil pressure on a 4.3.... I guess its better than low pressure!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:18 am 
268 Vista

I had a 4.3L in a 20 foot Sea Ray several years ago, it did the same thing, and never had a problem. The prop change won't make a difference. Keep an eye on it, but generally you should be fine.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:54 am 
GIDDY UP

There's a good chance it always did this. You paying close attention to the guages now that you're trying out something new.

If not, then your new prop is allowing more RPM at take-off thus generating more oil pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:58 am 
Narwhal

I like Brent87LT1's idea about the greater RPMs, and wonder if the drag from the new fin isn't contributing a bit here too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:07 pm 
Seahorse

Cap'n M & Brent, Thanks for the quick reply and putting me at ease. After thinking about it some more, its only logical to have low oil pressure if it has a leak but high pressure seems to be a normal trait when accelerating with a lot of down force due to the the new fin and lower pitch 4 blade prop.
My wife even thought we put some ballast in the boat. the stern was really low and the bow was really high when taking off. It was never that high of an angle, I told her the fin and prop is creating a lot of down force, thus creating a larger wake. Do you think I should test my theory on the fin and prop, plus see if it reduces bow rise by changing back the prop and removing the fin? I guess it can't hurt. it would only make the wake smaller....

By the way, how do you post a pic, is it in the FAQ section?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:02 pm 
GIDDY UP

Upload the photo on another site (photobucket, etc.) then post the link in a reply. There is a button to choose this option above the text block. "Img" Press that button, then paste the link between the two sets of brackets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:20 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Check your cooling temp. If you're low (<140F), the oil is more dense, thus higher press. A bad T-stat could cause this... however, it may just be the norm.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:07 pm 
Seahorse

I'll check the cooling temp, the gauge seems to work fine it shows cold when starting then after a few minutes the temp goes up to the middle. But I'll check it manually and I'll check the oil pressure gauge as well. Thanks eveyone for the replies...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:21 am 
email admin your custom rank

Couple of things, are you using a single weight oil vs a multi weight, that will often show higher pressure readings than multi weight. And with an engine just started even if your cooling temp reads normal, before you run the engine on plane the motor oil is still thicker and will thin out as you run it at high rpms. My 20 year old 4.3 does the same thing, cold start the oil pressure is probably about 50-60 psi, then running it at higher revs it will go up to about 7/8s or 65 -70 psi on the guage, but after some run time it drops a bit, which is normal.

BTW, one of the best oils to use in an I/O power plant is Chevron Delo 400 single weight or Shell Rotella T. I use straight 30 wt here in NY with no issues.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Last edited by LouC on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:31 am 
Seahorse

Lou, I've always used VP 30/5 oil, but based on what you said, i might want to try the Chevron delo 400. my oil pressure gauge only show Low and High no Psi's. anyways, yesterday i fired it up on the muffs and it idiled around the the mid-range on the gauge. I think its fine, I'm gonna fuget about it, I'm also going to see if it acts different by removing the hydrofin and 4 blade prop. I'm going to put the 3blade back on. I might also change the oil filter, but the fluids are new, maybe has 5hrs on it and its really clear. If it does nothing, then I'll put the wakeboating mods back on. my wife thought we added ballast, the wake was pretty nice off an I/O. the downforce on the fin and hole shot from the 4 blade is awesome, but it might be a lot of strain on the engine? could this be the cause of my problem? stay tuned...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

You know I would not change the oil you are using, that is the right oil (Volvo specifies a syn straight 30 wt and I don't think anyone else sells it). I use the straight 30 Chevron because it's a diesel rated oil you can use in gas engines (like Shell Rotella T) and is good for old engines like mine that could be prone to leaky seals. Anyway keep in mind that those dash gauges are not that accurate and that oil pressure is very strongly influenced by RPM and oil temp. You will get higher readings on a cold engine and higher temps at higher rpms. Mine will go up to about 60 psi (3/4 up the gauge) at fast idle after a cold start. Cold slow idle it's at 40 (middle). Hot slow idle a little lower than the middle (20-30). High rpm with a hot engine about 7/8s up (65-70 psi). I wouldn't worry about it. Main things with a marine engine are cooling related, I always keep a close eye on the temp gauge, you're more likely to have cooling problems (impellers wear out, thermostats stick, manifolds clog) than oil problems. About the only time you will have an oil related problem is if the seal on an oil filter blows out and you lose oil pressure.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II