www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duramax vs GM
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:21 am 
Hi Guys
Thinking about buying a new GMC Denali Duramax turbo diesel https://mechanicfaq.com/programmers-for-6-2-denali/ maybe buying a tow behind RV in a year are so . I currently have a 2014 Denali 6.2 gas that i really like . But i don't tow with it . The 6.2 gas has 420 HP and 460 TQ and really performs great for a every day driver . I know the Duramax will out tow the gas 6.2 but for a every day driver will i notice much difference in the Duramax at 397 HP and 765 TQ in acceleration or will i have to push it a little harder . Will i even notice 23 HP less
Thanks Guys

Last edited by Raramyna on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Duramax vs GM
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:06 am 
Dolphin

I don't know if this will help answer your question. I am a Plumbing and Heating Contractor with many of gas and diesel trucks over the last 30 years, you can't really compair gas to diesel when it come TQ. In 06 I purchased a 3500 dualle with the Duramax. 100,000 miles later it still pulls like a horse with only normal maintenance. I gave up on Ford when they went to the 6L in 03. You probably would hardly feel a boat behind the Denali. Diesel cost about a buck more a gallon but goes twice as far under a load with half the effort. There expensive do a lot of shopping around.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Torque (and at what RPM) matters when towing.

Ever see a video of those new midsized Colorados or Tacomas towing a trailer with the gas V6? All of their power is midrange-redline and they will regularly run between 4500 RPMs and redline towing uphill. They honestly sound like they are going to explode.

Torquey V8 or diesel for towing, hands down. Sounds like you have experience with both.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:57 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The acceleration of the diesel will flat out surprise you. Go test drive them and you will be impressed. If you are looking at towing an rv for any distance you will cuss the gasser.

Diesel cost more as do the routine services but they are less frequent. You always buy for most frequent use but towing in mountains or hills the gasser is close to useless. To get the tow gear needed for the gas you really kill the mileage.

The 3/4 ton gas will be low geared and mpg will be horrible. You will want 3/4 for rv and for me the diesel would be only option.

Personally...i would go Duramax or Ram Cummins. I will never have another Ford EVER after getting hung out by them on the 6.0. Ford acted damn near criminal in their total disregard and lies about those trucks.

I have a Ram 1500 with around 400hp...the mpg towing at hwy speed is 7mpg. The overall avg mpg is 14 to 15. I will say the diesels need to be run every now and then to clear their throat. Constant put put in city will cause emission issues over time.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:26 pm 
The Duramax’s from 2017 are the newest version of this engine. 445hp & 910 ft/lbs torque.

It’s a rocket. Makes the truck feel like a go kart. I’m on my 4th GM diesel. 08, 12, 15, 17.

Pulls like a bandit. No comparison to a gasser.