www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:30 pm 
Seahorse

Hey guys,
I have noticed this problem for probably the last 5 outtings. Well, upon start-up, there is a squeaking noise coming from the engine. I am almost confident that it is the belt. Once the engine is warm the squeaking goes away. Do you guys agree it is the belt? Is it something I should be concerned about? Also, I know I should carry a spare belt. I have the 4.3L carb, is it the same belt as the 4.3L car engines?

Also, not to change the subject. Ever since the carb was replaced due to defective carbs the idle has been very very low upon cold start-up. It idles at about 200 rpm if it doesn't stall out. When I start it I have to put it into neutral and apply some throttle to avoid it stalling. Now this problem continues for the first two hours of starting up. Eventually the engine will idle at approx 500 rpm, but it takes a while for it to get there. Is this common? I would think an idle adjustment would be needed, except for the engine idling perfect about 2-3 hours into it. But I also think that the engine has a low idle after the engine is warmed up. Any thoughts? Are these two problems a dealer trip? Thanks in advance.
-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:20 pm 
Clownfish

Is this a Volvo Penta 4.3L?

If yes, I was told by my favourite dealer (in NH) that Volvo had issues in late '06 and early '07 with the Volvo OEM serpentine belts on certain motors. They solve the problem by replacing the belt with a Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V interchange part and the squeal goes away.

I had the same squeaking noises on my late build '06 180 and my not so favourite local dealer made a real mess out of something simple. FYI to Dealer - Fogging oil sprayed on the belt will not cure the problem. Result = rubber melted into the v-grooves on every pulley on the front end of the motor.

Finally they fixed the issue but it took three visits. They seemed suprised and annoyed that I went out of country to buy my next boat ('07 220).

Good service does sell product - Period!

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:05 am 
Seahorse

My bad, it sure is a volvo penta. How hard are the belts to install, is it something I could tackle myself. If it is easy, where do I get the belt. A part # would also be helpful if not too much trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Belts are simple V belts on this carby engine (serpentine on FI engines), fairly easy to replace, and readily available. Alternator belt Volvo P/No is 978547, power steering belt is Volvo P/No 3852464 - you should have no trouble getting genuine or non-genuine replacements from any of the big boating stores.

Simple check is to get a stick of dry lube (looks a bit like wax) and with the engine running, *very carefully* touch each side of the belt with it and in theory the noise should go away for a while at least. If you cant get dry lube, try a little bit of soap.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport