www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trim Indicator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:24 pm 
Shark

Anyone have any experience adjusting the trim indicator on the FOUR WINNS?

Mine is a:

205 Sundowner DLX
Ford 220 HP 351 Fuel Injected Engine
VOLVO-PENTA Drive

It worked fine until I had engine work done, now the needle gets really radical. While she is accurate from the top to about mid-trim, the needle really plunges BELOW the down line when I trim all the way down.

Frankly, it's clear to me when I have the stern down (it stands out, particularly when I am pulling out -- it practically screams "don't forget to trip UP") so I don't mind much -- but I would like to keep the telemetry as close to factory specs as I can.

Thanks,

mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:55 pm 
Mental Floss

Mark:

On the right side of the transom shield you will see a black/grey circle with a couple of small screws. That's the trim sender. To adjust it, loosen the set screw(s) and rotate it a touch with someone watching the gauge. When it's where you want it, lock it down and then trim up and down to see how she works.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Can anyone tell me what the indicator on the gauge should read when the drive is level? I need to recalibrate the trim gauge.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:20 pm 
Mental Floss

I calibrated mine so that the needle is at the bottom line of the gauge when the drive is all the way down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:29 pm 

My trim gauge reads bow up no matter where I have the drive set.

I just purchased a Seloc repair manual and it goes into great detail how to adjust the trim sender. At this point, I am going to try John's quick fix first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try doing what the manual states.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:24 pm 
Narwhal

My trim guage is set such that when the drive is down, the needle is exactly at the bottom of the range, but when the drive is all the way up, the guage reads beach range or 30% down. I asked the dealer about it, and they said they couldn't do anything with it. I've learned to deal with it, the other markings on the guage are actually in meaningful places. Still, any chance the adjustment screws described will increase the 'travel' of the needle in the guage?

Post subject: Calibrated
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:35 pm 

I calibrated the unit and it made a significant difference. I operated it within the range to see it's position and it looks really good now. I'll be testing it out on the water this weekend.

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:56 am 
Mental Floss

Alex, the best way is to not rely on the gauge but go by feel and the increase in rpms on the tach.

As you apply trim, 1 sec intervals, you will feel the engine smooth out. It's load is being reduced. You will also see the rpms increase about 100 - 200 rpms

I rarely look at my trim gauges. One other thing that will help is a fuel computer such as a Lowrance LMF-200. I recommend these anyway because it is one of the few items you can purchase for your boat that will pay for itself very quickly and continue to save you money. I use the fuel computer more than the trim gauges to hit my sweet spot. I give a little more trim once I have the "feel" right and watch the fuel consumption of my engines. If the fuel flow drops a bit, I'm saving even more gas. If the fuel consumption goes up, I know I'm trimmed a bit to much and cavitation or the thrust angle is worse and I'm loosing money...wasting fuel. For the $150 you can find the unit for, it takes very little time for the fuel saving to pay for the unit, especially at todays gas prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:27 am 
Narwhal

Jvalich makes a good point when using trim at speed to adjust plane. I too do not pay any attention to the gauge then (other than making sure trim is all the way down before attempting plane). However, when beaching or traversing shallow waters I do reference the gauge, and the more accuracy in these situations the better as there's no way to 'go by feel' there unless the drive is too far down - ouch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:11 pm 

I successfully adjusted my trim sender last night. There wasn't enough adjustment by just loosening the 2 bolts on the sender and turning it. I took the sender out completely and turned the nut on the back of the sender itself. Then re-installed it and the 2 bolts, and did the fine tuning by turning the sender. I performed this proceedure a few times until I got it where I wanted it.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:06 pm 
Clownfish

My trim gauge hasn't worked correctly since I had a repir done over the winter. Now the boat is in the slip.

Is there a way to make this adjusment while the boat is in the slip?

1995 258 Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:36 am 

I got the boat back in the water this weekend and it really made a difference where the trim was located on the meter. I did use the feel and the motion and the fuel consumtion as indicators for efficiently getting on plane and O what a wonderful feeling. The boat seemed to have a life of it's own and wanted just to go.

OMC 5.0 RL