www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: oil pressure guage
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:55 pm 
Tadpole

I searched the forums but did not see a specific answer to this question so a little advise please.

recenlty purchased a very nice 1986 195 Horizon. for years i was a rag bagger but family prefers this.

anyway- had boat out twice so far. both times noted a wide variance on the oil guage. first time i noted it was reading about 8 lbs or less, was moving very slowly through a no wake zone. noted that when i increased speed the pressure went up. kept an eye on it and checked the oil, full.
Next time i noted that when i start pressure jumps up past mid guage and stays there for awhile.

dealer says this is normal- i guess i was expecting the guage to act like a car guage and maintain a steady pressure reading with little fluxuation. was a little concerned when the dealer said " as long as you don't hear a noise ..." i have blown engines in the past- hearing noises is to late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:35 am 
Mental Floss

8# at idle speed is fine. Midway running is good to. Make sure that the oil isn't overfull as this will cause foaming and could affect oil pressure readings.

Also, on a '86 there certainly can be some sludge built up over the years as well.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"