www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re-installig lower unit
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:44 am 
Minnow

Finally have all the repairs done on our boat(1995 238 VISTA), now just need to attach the lower unit. Marine Dealer says it will be at least a week until he can get to it.
Can anybody tell how difficult it is to reattach and how to do it. I would love to surprise my husband this weekend with the boat being ready. I have the replacement gasket for the outdrive. I also have a very strong guy to help.

Thanks

Terry javascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Rolling Eyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:29 pm 
Mental Floss

Is it a Volvo/OMC outdrive or a Merc?

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:38 pm 
Minnow

It is a Volvo/Penta SX Cobra. Thanks for your help in my earlier post I was able to have the Marine Dealer pull and replace the Gimbal bearing for $50.00.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:50 pm 
Mental Floss

If you are talking about removing the out drive, the process is easy. There are 3 nuts that need to be removed on each side of the drive, but first remove the back cover plate held on by 3 small bolts. Removing the cover will expose the fill plug and the shift cable attachment. Remove the shift cable attachment by removing the cotter pin. Th cable slide out through a hole when you pull the drive. You will also have to remove the plastic caps on the drive end of the trim rams and remove the c-clips holding the SS rod in place. When you remove the SS rod, the drive will need to be supported.

Once the trim rams are free and the shift cable disconnected, remove the 6 nuts and pull the drive back. The bellows are should only be attached to the transom shield by a large hose clamp that does not need to be removed to remove the out drive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:38 pm 
Minnow

Thanks but the drive is already off. I need to know how to put it back on.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I think you should check the alignment when you reinstall the vert. drive. At least I always do. It requires a alignment tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:51 am 
Mental Floss

Since off, as treker says, an alignment check. It should go right back on. Grease the splines in the drive shaft. Put the drive in-gear using the shift lever on the back of the outdrive. Feed the drive shaft through the bellows and the gimbal bearing. The easiest way to align the spline is to slowly turn the prop (when in gear, the drive shaft will turn too) and once lined up and the splines engaged, the prop should stop moving. Push the drive al the way on. Remember the shift cable will have to be lined up and fed through it's hole. Also you need to make sure the o-ring around the water pickup is in place.

Push the drive al the way on, snug up the nuts (3 on each side). Lift the drive and reinsert the stainless rod reattaching the trim cylinders. Re-attach the shift cable and check the adjustment nut position by tring to shift the drive in forward and reverse. Adjust as necessary. Replace the back cover.

If there is any resistance of getting the drive back up (splines of the drive shaft into the engine coupler) the alignment is out for sure.

It was evident on my 170. The drive splines would seat into the coupler by only 1/4" then the drive would not move anymore. When we pulled the drive the engine slipped out of alignment and had to be re-aligned before the outdrive would go back on easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:37 am 
AGE < LOA

John, is this pretty much the procedure I would use to lubricate the UV joints and shaft splines? Anything else I should freshen up while in there? Ie. o-rings or the bellows / clamps (they likely have a few seasons on them and appear dry but not cracked)? Thanks ahead of time 8) Oh, do you need to drain the outdrive oil for this? I have the 5.0 VP DP outdrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:16 am 
Mental Floss

Nope, no draining necessary as the unit is sealed. I ususally run my finger over the entire surface of the bellows to check integrity...easy but can be messy.

Chances are the universals have no zerks to grease. Volvo went to perm greased ones a while back.

I would also inspect the shift cable and give it a good lube as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:46 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for all your help. My husband was thrilled, we used her all weekend. Left CT River and headed to Watch Hill RI for the weekend. She ran like she was brand new. No one could believe it was a 12 year old boat.

Thanks again for all your help.