www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nutra-Salt install
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:48 am 
email admin your custom rank

I just bought 2 systems, one for each engine. It looks simple enough to install. The hardest part is to find the raw water in to the pump. Which is not that hard to find. Has anyone installed one of these? Any thing I should look for or do? Its better to ask, than to find out the hard way!

I have volvos 4.3L engines

Post subject: Re: Nutra-Salt install
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:21 pm 

I just installed this system this Spring.....bought it off ebay last fall.....it's a pretty straight-forward install.....the instructions say to "t" into the water inlet h ose that goes from the transom to the power steering cooler--located at the rear of the engine...well that's where mine is- a 5.7 GL......the problem I'm having is that I bought this on ebay and although it was listed as "new"- it kind of was only the package had been opened and the smaller of the 2 T's that are usually included was missing...there should be a 1 1/4" i.d. and a 1" i.d. brass T...I only have the 1 1/4" T...and my water inlet hose from the transom is a 1" i.d going into the power steering cooler, but out of the cooler going to the raw water pump the hose is a 1 1/4"!! So, of course I cut the 1" hose-- not realizing the size until I tried to install the 1 1/4" T...duh! So now I have a new transom water hose on order which I should have by tomorrow.....so that leaves me with the only option of now "T-ing" into the hose after the power steering cooler and before the raw water pump.....so the solution won't now circulate through the PS pump, but so what, right? It'll still get to the manifolds and risers, so that should be ok......ANyway, I've heard good and bad about the system.....and I have not yet used it either- my boat should splash in a couple weeks. It's in the shop being bottom painted for the first year in the slip full time. So, I'll see how it works this coming season.
I don't know where the PS cooler is on the 4.3 GL, but you can find the schematic on the Volvo web sit I'm sure......hopefully you have 2 brass "T"'s- a 1" & 1 1/4", to fit the hose..I hope this was a help...good luck. I only know of one other guy on this forum who has installed it on his boat and he is in the UK.....maybe he'll chime in with more advice..

STeve

Previous boats; 91 Cobia 19' Cuddy, 87 Starcraft 16' BR,
67 Winner BR, 65 Arrow 14'

Post subject: Re: Nutra-Salt install
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 pm 

Thanks, I already bought 2 of them. One for each engine and I will install them in a few weeks. I looked the manual over, it not hard at all. Its just hard to reach the cooler at the back of the engine.