www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:18 am 
AGE < LOA

Hi guys,

My grandfather passed away and left me his dinghy with a Mariner 4 outboard. Unfortunately, there is no manual for the motor. I was wondering two things: Can I start it out of the water? I wasn't sure if it is water cooled. I'm also wondering the fuel ratio. I emailed a guy on craigs list who was selling a similar one and he said 50:1 or 100:1 depending on whether yamaha made the motor. I thought that sounds pretty lean? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:56 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

mkivbren wrote:
Hi guys,

My grandfather passed away and left me his dinghy with a Mariner 4 outboard. Unfortunately, there is no manual for the motor. I was wondering two things: Can I start it out of the water? I wasn't sure if it is water cooled. I'm also wondering the fuel ratio. I emailed a guy on craigs list who was selling a similar one and he said 50:1 or 100:1 depending on whether yamaha made the motor. I thought that sounds pretty lean? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

All motors need cooling water unless they are air cooled. I would submerge the foot in a bucket of water and let the motor hang on a saw horse if you plan on test running it. 50:1 is probably the appropriate premix but I would just make sure.

P.S. Sorry about your Grand Father's passing.

P.P.S. Did you manage to get any pix of your windlass install ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:58 am 
AGE < LOA

thanks brett, and thanks for the condolences man. Yes, I've been slacking bad on the windlass pics and I want to take pics before I install the flat screen lcd up front this week so I will definitely have a write up asap (i have off all week 8) I hope you can make it out on yours this weekend! I'm heading out right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:03 am 
wkearney99

safest bet on the outboard is to hang it off a hand cart and put the prop end into a trashcan full of water. This way you can not only test that it works but also forward and reverse. The weight of the trashcan full of water will also help stabilize the hand cart. Some folks take it step further and rig up a wood bracket for the hand cart as a mount for the engine but that's not necessary for a quick test if your cart has at least some way for the engine to hang on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:19 am 
AGE < LOA

Dinghy's are great! I got impatient and just hauled it out with me and inflated it when I got out to Fairlee creek (big hangout). It fired right up after about 5 pulls. Cruised all around on sunday and met some *nice* girls and hung out with them on their parent's (2) 48' sea rays yachts:shock:! Man, should have gotten this dinghy such a long time ago!! Hope you guys had a great weekend :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:57 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

mkivbren wrote:
Dinghy's are great! I got impatient and just hauled it out with me and inflated it when I got out to Fairlee creek (big hangout). It fired right up after about 5 pulls. Cruised all around on sunday and met some *nice* girls and hung out with them on their parent's (2) 48' sea rays yachts:shock:! Man, should have gotten this dinghy such a long time ago!! Hope you guys had a great weekend :)

Yeah thanks for beating me to the dinghy and the windlass.. gee what's next? i guess you are going to beat me to the radar arch too?

Must be nice... I'd have all that stuff if I wasn't socking away money for a garage! LOL :) As soon as the garage is up and my boat is in it.... Then comes the fun stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:55 pm 
AGE < LOA

Haha... but you beat me to the genny! I wouldn't know what to do w/o my garage - it keeps me going in the winter. I could sock the vista in there but it would probably be a PITA with the lift I installed over the winter! Let me know if you want one of these man, it was $1500 bucks, no tax!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Did you say $1500 bucks ???

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:53 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Bren (Is it Brendan?)

AHA! The photo confirms what my suspisions told me.. MKIV Supra...... Nice choice :)

Former Covette guy here, and yes I miss those days.. I gave up the sports car and got into boats.. But beleive me I miss those weekends where I'd hop in the Vette and maybe never leave second or third gear on those back country roads, LS1 howling through a Corsa catback! :)

$1500 for the lift I assume? The garage couldn't have been that cheap! I am probably going with a 36' x 20' x 15' steel garage and that's 6K just for the building with two finished 12x12 openings (no doors) I am going with doors on each end so I can drive in, unhook and drive out.

Sweet lift! If I was still a practicing gear head I would have one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:13 pm 
AGE < LOA

You got it! close, it's brenden. Yea, it was 1,500 bucks and I picked it up at a distributer (one of two in the country) up 95 a few minutes into delaware (no tax). Actually saw them advertising them on ebay.

Yea, these cool nights (perfect turbo weather) have me itching to do some pulls in the supra. But I'm having a stroker motor built and it's been at the engine builders since spring. That will keep me busy all fall/winter/and spring. Theirs nothing like the rush you get from taking down a modded hayabusa on the highway at ~150+ mph. My expectations for this build are no less than 1200 rwhp. Talk about a money pit :shock: The race fuel is around 20 bucks/gal now.

Man that would be sweet - I'd much rather have a garage I could drive through but this one sits on the corner of the lot backed up against the property lines. That's going to be 1 nice garage brett!

There was a noteable supra that used to reside out in Pittsburgh - the owner Jon actually goes by "steelcitysupra" on the forum. Nice guy and one hell of a car. He lives out in arizona now though. Did you ever come across him at any car meets? It's a black supra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:23 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Brenden,

Can't say I came across the Supra. I am actually 45 minutes east of the burgh and I didn't really do many car shows in the burgh mostly around where I live (and there used to be many). 1200 HP... Sure makes my rides seem weaksause.. My 2K Vette just had a couple bolt on's (shifter, catback, ram air) 12.70 ride, my 95 automatic (3.07 dog gear) ran 13.6's my 68 Coupe was a turd (I never got around to modding it before I sold it) my 89 Coupe I never ran at the track and way before any of the Corvette's I had an 11.27 second Pro Street'd Dodge Demon (452CID RB Wedge, naturally aspirated 10.1) it had 10.90's in her but needed 4:56's and about 5K stall, which I didn't want to do since it was a street car and I ran a 10" 3500 stall TCI and a 3.91 gear with 14.5 inches of Mickey T Sportsman per side.

*sigh* I miss my cars :)