www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:21 pm 
Goldfish

Hi Guys, I'm going to replace all the belts on my 96 5.0 FI Volvo (Ford 302). I replaced the alternator belt last summer since it broke on me. I don't want to get stranded especially if the water pump belts breaks.

On this particular engine there are 3 seperate belts - Sea Water, Power Steering and Alternator. The alternator belt was easy, did not have to remove anything else to get at it. Different story for the Sea Water belt, the alternator belt has to come off and by the looks of things the pulley that connects to the circulation pump.

That's my question, anyone familiar with this type of setup, I don't know how to remove that pulley, Yes there are 4 bolts, but with the other belts either removed or loosened that pulley turns on it's own. I see how you could maybe get 3 out of the 4 bolts off by using the 4th one to leverage the other three but what about gettig that 4th one off. Tried to remove one but it did not want to loosen, I did not want to force anything. Maybe you loosen the bolts with the belts on it - don't know. It's number 39 on the diagram that's on the url below.

I'm going to buy the other 2 belts tomorrow so I can ask the boys at the marina but thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks

Bruce

[/img]http://volvopentaparts.stemtostern.com/VolvoDiagrams/ShowAssembly.asp?ID=nc48

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:12 pm 
Goldfish

Hi Guys, just finished removing the pulley to get at the Seawater Pump belt. Turns out, just like in your car water pump - you loosen the bolts on the pulley before you start taking off the belts. In my case, I simply tighten the Power Steering Pump belt back and then removed the four bolts, of course one of them was tighten really tight which took a little bit longer.

Anyhow, I pickup the 2 other belts tomorrow as they were not in stock. They don't look too bad but something just didn't sound right when I was heading back in yesterday afternoon. Sounded like a belt was slipping when you took off and then disappeared, as I say, you don't want to be caught with the Seawater belt breaking out in the middle of the lake.

Take Care

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:01 pm 
Shark

you got it, don't forget blue loctite and retorque after ten to twenty hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:42 pm 
Goldfish

Hi Guys, all went well with the belts, however, the noise was coming from the alternator - bearings are shot. I isolated the alternator by removing the belt (seperate belt on my engine 5.0 fi) and the noise disappeared. Ordered the new alternator this morning, will pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Bruce