www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:42 am 
Sting Ray

I'm starting to think that what I am experiencing is not normal, then again I don't know anyone with a boat like mine so I have nothing to compare it to. It almost feels like someone hits the stern of the boat with a hammer when shifting into forward or reverse. It sort of has a thump sound to it. I have had the boat for 1.5 yrs and haven't had any mechanical issues with shifting into drive. Sometimes when taking it out of forward it seems to stay in gear until I give the handle a wiggle. The boat idles at around 600 rpm. The engine is a 7.4l and outdive is the duoprop. Maybe this is the way it is and I don't have a probelm. Thanks for the help in advance.

1998 258 Vista 7.4Gi Duoprop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Volvo or Merc, they both make a 7.4L and a Duoprop (kinda) Willing to say its a Volvo. If so i'm driving the same set-up in a Crownline 270 and it is smooth as butter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:40 pm 
Sting Ray

You are correct it is a Volvo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:04 pm 
Mental Floss

If it's a Volvo and clunking, it ain't normal. Things I'd suspect as a possibility other than the outdrive itself (internal) is:

1. Bad gimbal bearing
2. Universal joints

Is it quiet at idle, no ticking or raspy sounds tht change frequency or pitch when the rpms change and/or the drive is moved left or right?

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:51 pm 

gimbal bearing it will grind then bang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:45 pm 
Narwhal

Maybe a control cable/ linkage issue, as you have to move the control around to get it to take. I remeber a Merc Bravo I I had where I'd shift from nuetral to reverse, and there was a slight delay, then a 'thunk' and it would engage. Do you have the delay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:14 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

I get a thunk on my Duoprop (cone clutch) just as I did on my Bravo 1 (cone clutch).

Everyone says this isn't normal, why did I get it on a B2 and now on my DP? Am I shifting too slow? Should I literally take less time when I shift and use a more firm movement to put it in gear, or am I not waiting long enough (could the prop still have some momentum?) It never grinds, just a dull thunk.

30 hours on the boat when I brought it home, now up to 50 hours and I don't beleive it's the gimbal in my case, there is no tick, no groan no sounds at all when turning or trimming, just when engaging from a dead stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:10 am 
Sting Ray

Drive is quite as a church mouse. Only feel/hear the thump when putting it into forward or reverse. No noise when I take it out of gear. There is no delay, it goes right into gear. When shifting I put it right into gear I don't put it in slowly and wait for it to grab. I think I might get the marina to take a look at it. I'm wondering if it could be a cable adjustment, because it doesn't come right out of gear when going from forward to neutral. It usually takes a second or so unless I wiggle the handle (in neutral). Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:55 pm 
230 Mike

It's really hard to say without feeling it. While VP's have more of a reputation for smooth, quiet shifts, the reality is that they vary. Some are nearly silent, others don't sound that much quieter than a Merc. There's a possibility that your shift cable could need adjustment, but otherwise the only adjustment that I know of involves setting the lash in the gears inside the drive - a procedure outlined in the shop manuals but which requires complete teardown. My guess is that you're within spec, but far enough out of "perfect" to have a little noise. Again, without feeling it I could be totally off on this.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:43 pm 
Sting Ray

Has anyone adjusted their shift cable and had success? Please advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:17 pm 
Forty six and Two

My brand new H190 has a dull thump going into gear but its not harsh nore is it quiet.... once it warms up its even more quiet but you can hear and feel it.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:02 pm 
ShanMan

My brand new Funship with a Volvo clunked from day one, zero hours.

M current ride, also a Volvo, does not. Go figure...

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:08 pm 

I had a '94 258 with a OMC King Cobra drive. It was amost silet and real smooth compared to a Merc. I got a '99 258 with a DP and there was a distinct difference in the shift. I think it is more like you can tell when the gears engage and those 2 large SS props begin to rotate. It depends what you are comparing it to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:46 pm 

I have a 99 Vista 258 with the 5.7 Volvo Penta and Duo-prop drive (DP-S) and I just had my gimble bearing and U-joints serviced in June because Ive always had the "clunk" in gear. Mind you, its not as bad as a mercs "grrriiinnd grrrinnd clunk" but when you put it in gear, it engages quickly and lightly bangs into gear. My u-joints and gimbal bearing were good, the mechanic thinks they were replaced before I bought it (bought it Jan 2006). Last summer I put over 100 hours on the boat, clunking and all, and this year about 40 hours so far. Still runs out great. This leads me to believe it isnt a detrimental issue. Just to be sure, I double checked my timing and idle and Im idling at about 650RPMS or so.

Im thinking as long as you change that gear lube every year - let it drain overnight and refill with a high quality synthetic (Volvo Pentas gear lube or Amsoil, etc) then you will be fine. 8)

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:54 am 
Sting Ray

Thanks! I'm not sure how many hours I've put on my boat this year but I'm close to 200 GPS miles. The motor idles around 600 rpm. I don't hear any grinding or squeeking so I'll assume that the mild thump is normal. When I have the gimble and exhaust boots changed I'll have them check the bearing and what not.

Thanks again.