www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:44 am 
Tadpole

I am going to be buying a SS prop for the boat in the subject. We have been running an AL 14.5in with a 21P. Not concerned as much with performance benefits of the SS prop as durability. The question for you guys is for those of you running SS props on this boat, drive or a similar setup what is a good entry level SS prop that fits.

I used Mercuries prop selector and it looks like their vengeance 14.5 x 17 or 19 would probabaly be a good fit but It doesn't seem like the take the gearcase size of the volvo SX drive versus their alpha or bravo drive into consideration. I don't even know if their is an issue their anyways. I know I can get the hub to fit my shaft I just don't know how it would fit the rest of the geometry.

I know I am not the only person putting SS on here so any advice on based on what your running is appreciated.

The boat is used for watersports and some cruising, almost never ran at WOT.

Also of concern is the drive protection that other manufacturers offer. I am comfortable with mercury's flo torq system but I do not know much about anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 am 
email admin your custom rank

If it's in your budget you might be very happy with a revolution 4.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:59 am 
Tadpole

I looked at Rev 4's and its probably more than I would want to spend. ts not so much of a budget as just that I really don't think I will be dissapointed by the performance of a low cost SS coming from stock AL's. I am an avid boater but it is not my only hobby so I don't have a splurge mentality.

I also thought that a megayacht was just a big yacht before staying on one and a bentley was just a big car with a cool name before driving one so I may have the wrong attitude here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:24 pm 

You stay on a Megayacht, and drive a Bently? ...get the revolution 4. :D

No, seriously, I agree with you on the durability of a SST prop. My SST prop is now 20 years old and in great condition (but last year I replaced the boat it is attached to). Mine is a three blade Michigan 14.5 x 19", re-hubbed from OMC to Volvo.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:12 pm 

The Merc and Volvo SX prop hubs are different. One has a 15 tooth spline while the other has 19. Found out the hard way..... My old '95 190 Horizon with a Ford 5.0 EFI and 1.60 to 1 drive ratio had a 14.25x21p. I put a Stiletto SS prop pf the same size on it and there was no difference. The '99 190 Horizon with a 5.0 carbed Chev had a 14.25x23p. Generally one inch of pitch will change rpm at top speed by 150-200 rpm....more pitch=less rpm. I believe a quarter inch larger diameter reduces top engine speed by approx 100 rpm.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:25 pm 
Tadpole

We ended up purchasing a michigan wheel 3 blade apollo 14.125 x 19p. Very happy and for anyone looking to upgrade from the al that doesn want to spend bookoo bucks it is a great overall prop. We got it shipped with the hub for $300. The thing is s much smoother and makes the boat feel way tighter ( I think a lot of that has to do with the guy who was repairing my props either no balancing them or doing a terrible job). The hole shot is definitely improved and it can take turns so much better without ever cavitating. Were getting up to 50mph and 4400 on the odometer. Before I was getting about 40mph and 4000. I am sure there are props out their that may have a better hole shot or top end but I couldnt be happier with this one, especially for the price.