www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:03 pm 
Sting Ray

I bought a new 210 Horizon this year with the VP 5.0GL/SX (with carb instead of fuel injection). I have just put about the 22nd hour on it this weekend.

Noticed an issue at about the 15 hr mark when the engine did not idle well. Happened all of a sudden the first time after being out for a couple of hours, we turned it off to put up the bimini and basically get ready to get back into the marina (put away gear, etc) went to start it up and the engine acted really cold - had to give it full throttle to get her fired up, and then like I said, it would not idle down right. So, in coming back into the marina and no wake zone, I was not too popular since i had to run slightly above idle to get it go. Anything above 1000 RPM and it ran like a top.

Called the dealer, and they looked at. Said they couldn't get it to repeat the problem (I was not present) but they adjusted the idle screw up to add about '100 rpms'. Now it does this intermittently. When it does it, it is very troubling since I am a new to boating and trying to manuever around a marina with an engine that might cut out any second.

Ran it yesterday, and the problem persisited at the start, but after going out, it was fine (didn't have to stir up a wake). I noticed it seems to idle best at about 650-700 RPMs.

Any ideas? I am planning on scheduling the 25 hr service this week and mentioning the issue again. I am no mechanic, but it seems like the carb is not getting the right air/gas mix all of time.

Sorry for the long post.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:15 pm 
268 Vista

I think 600 to 700 rpm's is normal idle speed. Was it older gas that may have been in the boat for a while? Did you try any gas treatment in the tank?
Could just be condensation in the tank that causes it to starve for good fuel at low rpm's.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:16 pm 
Sting Ray

I thought it might have been something with the gas. When I bought it, the dealer "threw in" half a tank of gas. That seemed to run fine, then I filled up at my marina and the problem first appeared. I ran that gas down to about 1/4 of a tank, then put in another 1/2 tank at a different marina.

I have not added any stabilizer or any other additive, but if you have a suggestion, I would try it.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:53 pm 
Minnow

My old Bayliner had the same engine, it always was very finnicky,(hope i spelled that right). For me it seem to start best cold, once it was warm it was hard starting, more times than not i had to give it full throttle to start, but it always idled down. I think it might be your fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:00 pm 
Sting Ray

Problem occured again this weekend and the thing just would not idle. I got it back close the marina and then someone gave me a tow in, but this is very frustrating. Just got to the 25 hour mark, so - this boat is still brand new to me.

Called the dealer today and service mgr met me at my marina. Luckily for me, the failure presented itself again. He thinks it could be the choke, but when checking around the engine, he notice gasoline. That is really concerning to me. I just want it fixed, and I want my family to be safe.

So - the boat is over at the dealer now and I am going to miss a major boating weekend because of this. Anyone have the name and address of the president of FW? I might want to ask him for advice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:21 pm 
Mental Floss

Your issue is with Volvo most likely, not Four Winns. You will have to go thru the dealer or another authorized Volvo center. If you feel your getting no service then you can call Customer Service. Volvo's Customer service number is 757-436-2800. The person I delt with was Michael Townsley. He was always very concerned that I was satisfied.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:26 pm 

that's very frustrating...you might ask the dealer for a demo model for the weekend or reserve a boat now if you have access to rentals on your lake.

Let's give the dealer service manager a shot at it b4 we run to the CEO....
horrible timing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:44 am 
Sting Ray

Cooler heads should prevail on this - I agree. I will let you know how it works out with the dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:25 pm 
ShanMan

Any updates on this? I've got the same engine in a 204 Funship and we're still under one hour... brand new.

I assume this experience is the exception, and not the norm; but I'd like to hear what happened.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:44 am 
Sting Ray

Yes - what they found was there was some debris in lodged in the needle in the carburetor. They saved this debris to send to Volvo as part of the warranty claim. I saw it and it looks like a small burr or chip from a machining operation. The piece was ferretic also which concerned me on a couple fronts. Was this something from the gas tank assembly, the intake assembly, etc? Why was this not captured in the fuel filter?

What I imagine was happening was peridocally, the chip was turned in way which allowed fuel to flow and the engine to run, but after vibration and such, it would settle in the needle restricting the flow or cutting it off all together.

Dealer also had to replace all 8 spark plugs which are about $9 a piece (platinum tipped as it turns out). They showed me the plugs which were all gummed up.

Since then, I have put another 5.5 hours on the boat, put it through various scenarios, and have had no problems. I believe it is fixed, but still am worried about any potential long term damage. All of these issues are documented at the dealership and in turn, with Volvo & FW.

For now, I am tickled that we are running with no problems. Cheers!