www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cobra SX question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:25 am 
Dolphin

Hi everyone,

I have a '98 278 Vista with twin SX Cobra drives and I was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what the small drain hole towards the front left side of the lower gear case actually does. I normally wouldn't be concerned except that water drains out of this hole on the starboard case but not the port. It also appears that the previous owner tried to stick something metallic in the hole, probably to clean it out, and part of it broke off, so the water draining leaves a rust track. Fortunately, it's still draining water, but I'm more concerned that the other drive isn't if it's supposed to.

Thanks!

Joe

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

Post subject: Re: Cobra SX question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:47 am 
Shark

Sorry to see you haven't gotten an answer yet. I have the same thing. I remember reading a post somewhee that it is a set screw and can be ignored(?). The streaks are from rusty water running down the outside not a leak from the inside as I remember. If your lube oil is not milky then you should be ok.
hope someone more knowledgable confirms.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Joe,
The DPS lower unit certainly has a drain hole, designed to allow drainage of the cavity below the anode. This hole is above the "bullet", roughly in line with the back face of the anode and roughly at the same height as the lower of the water inlet holes. It's about 5" from the forward end of the drive.

My shop manual for the '99 WT drive has a couple of photos that appear to show a similar hole in the same place on the lower unit of the SX drive. I would guess it's also a drain hole. The owners manual of course only shows a view from the other side of the drive!

Very often the drains on the DPS drives get blocked with all sorts of sludge; I don't expect the SX is any different. On my first DPS drive, it had been antifouled over the blocked hole by the dealer. I didn't know there was a drain there until I powerwashed it at the end of the season; quite a panic when this horrible, black oily water started to some out, I though there was a hole corroded through the outdrive!

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:59 am 
Dolphin

Thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't think it was anything too serious. I was just concerned that the port drive didn't let any water out, but after cleaning out the hole on that drive, it too drains water now, so it looks like there was just some extra mineral deposits blocking it.

Joe

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:20 am 
Shark

Good to see your drive is ok. Since this drain hole is not covered, that I can see, in the Volvo SX manual and so many of us overlook it, it's a wonder we don't hear of any freeze damage as no one I know has ever probed for debris.