www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I thought I posted regards to this a while back but couldnt find it :?: So here goes...

I have about 650 hours on my 99 258 Vista which has the 5.7 Volvo Penta engine w/DP-SM (duo-prop) outdrive. When I bought the boat, it was noted on the survey that the bellows were original. Also, during the sea trial it vibrated when turning left when idling or low RPMS. I brought this up with the broker and was told that because I got the boat for so low of a price that the owner was not willing to repair the u-joints. No big deal, I did get a really good deal....

Either way now its time. My Vista is vibrating very nicely turning both left and right now. I picked up the u-joint and shaft assembly online, in which the u-joints are permanently pressed into a shaft which in turn, is pressed into the outdrive. Its not your typical u-joint replacement!

Has anybody with the DP-SM outdrive replaced their u-joints yet? What did you pay? did anybody try this themselves?
Its my understanding that the upper unit must be semi-disassembled for the u-joint/shaft piece to be replaced.....

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:41 pm 
230 Mike

I know this isn't what you asked, but... you did buy a new bellows too, right? :) .

I've certainly never done the job, but looking at the shop manual it doesn't look too bad once the drive is off the boat. You'll need a couple of new gaskets & o-rings, though.

Also - before loosening the bellows to remove the drive - note the position of the clamps holding the bellows on. I've heard one of them can interfere with steering movement if it's not replaced in the same position.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:36 am 

Sounds like you've bought a complete input shaft assembly. From my own experience with a '99 5.7 GSi/ DPS setup, the UJs can be easily changed just like automotive propshaft UJs. You don't need to change the whole shaft assembly, unless it's damaged. It gets a lot more complex if you're going to change the whole shaft because you have to set things like endfloat etc. Not recommended without a shop manual.

If you do decide only to change the UJs on the original shaft, please be aware that the design changed sometime between 1999 and late 2003. Earlier ones have the retaining, external type circlips on the inside of the yoke, in a groove on the outside of the bearing casing. Later ones have the internal type circlips on the outside of the yoke, in a groove machined into the yoke. If you get some UJs with grease zerks, you also need to ensure their orientation is correct, to prevent the zerks fouling on the yokes at full lock.

You'll also need the 2 "O" rings for the end of the input shaft. These need to be oiled, not greased. Plus some moly grease for the splines. If you do change the bellows you'll need some bellows sealing compound. The screw fitting of the clamp needs at the transom end needs to be in the one or two o clock position and you'll need to make sure the ground strap is in place.

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:49 pm 

Graham, just curious - whats your outdrive designation? Is it DP-SM?

I want to believe what you are saying, but when I tried to buy u-joints twice, I was asked for my outdrive model #. When I supplied this, I was told individual u-joints are not available for the DP-SM.

If you go to Volvo-Pentas website and access the parts, you will see also it says they arent available. http://www.iboats.com/volvo_penta/P-44- ... =775654831

Anyways I am meeting with my marina mechanic tomorrow for a sea trial and I will certainly mention this possibility. It would save me a lot of money if I didnt have to replace the whole shaft! 8)

Graham, can you give me a part # for the actual u-joints so that I can relay it to my mechanic?

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:55 am 

The 1999, " WT" model year drive I changed the UJs on was a DP-SM. The VP part number was 3850812-3 ( x2). Aftermarket equivalents are also listed.

The bulletin indicates it is the later type of shaft that cannot, or rather should not have the UJs changed. I could measure or see no wear in the shaft components when I changed the UJs on the earlier shaft assembly.

Note! when the forks, center piece or
spiders are worn or damaged the ujoint
has been compromised. The
entire unit should be replaced.
The service parts listed in the earlier
Parts Catalogs will not work with these
u-joints.

As you probably have the earlier shaft, then if they are still available, it should be possible to change just the UJs. Even if not available from VP, aftermarket UJs could still be available.

A cynic might think VP would prefer to sell a complete shaft assembly, rather than just a pair of UJs! Physically, the later UJs could be changed, as they are held in by circlips. Whether VP deliberately used an unique size so they are not available anywhere, that is another matter!

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:12 am 

Graham, I called my mechanic and asked him about this and he said that he can change the u-joints old style or new style shaft! :shock:

Im just saying that this guy is very highly recommended in my boating community. So, I trust him. We're going on a sea-trial tomorrow morning.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:23 am 

I just checked, VP no longer seem to list the UJs under that part number!

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:35 am 

Ive heard about people cross referencing NAPA's marine catalog and getting u-joints through NAPA for the VP DP outdrives.

Also I wonder if Sierra cross references the VP part #.

What the heck am I worrying about this anymore :mrgreen: Ill let my mechanic deal with this now :lol:

All I can say is "Thank You!" to Graham and others who have provided me with valuable info. Potentially saved me a boatload (no pun intended) of time and money if this pans out. 8)

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:15 am 

VP #3850812 = GLM #28030 according to some stuff I printed off 4 years ago; might have changed by now!

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:15 pm 

I went on the web today and bought:
2 Sierra u-joints #18-2174
1 Sierra Gimbal bearing 18-2100 (IIRC)

All of the Volvo Penta OEM bellows, clamps, retaining clips, seals, water hose, etc etc...

Next Im trying to find a trim sending unit. I cannot seem to find what part # I need (even on the VP website!) for my 1999 5.7GS DP-SM. Does anybody know where I can get a trim sender for a reasonable price and what the part # is?

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:34 am 

The later 2 wire trim sender unit has the VP number #3863129. The 3 wire version from ca 2005 was #3863007, I don't know if this was replaced by a later version. You probably have the 2 wire version, unless you have the optional electronic trim limiter kit fitted. Even if you find the old sender is 3 wire, I'd first check where it connects to the main wiring loom (the cylindrical black connector lies on the port side of the top of the engine, the 2 halves of it are held together with a metal clip). There may be only 2 wires on the main loom, in which case you can buy the 2 wire sender ( cheaper). The new senders come without the plastic connection block; this has to be fitted after the wires have been passed through the hole in the transom. The rubber seal on the harness has a little metal clip on it on the inside of the transom that has to be removed before the old harness can be removed (and it is easy to lose if access to the inner transom is tight). There are schematics on the Doug Russel land Marineepartsexpress web sites, both of which discount VP parts. If you ever want o be able to remove the new sender in the future without breaking it, I'd recommend you file the hexagon that fits into the pivot bolt head down to a slight taper and use plenty of waterproof grease on it.

Regards,

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:14 pm 

Oooook! sounds a little involved. Im going to look at it and decide if its something I want to waste a full day on fiddling with.

I called and apparently Volvo has a new updated part for the sending unit - 3849411 - which costs $145! A big jump from the $45 a pop for the older ones. :shock: This new design is supposed to have corrected the failure issues though so its got to be worth it! 8)

379 hours as of 8/8/21