www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 am 
Sting Ray

Thanks LouC,

I "was gunna" coat the hole with epoxy but got lazy and the hole was very tight... :? Figured that the hull is all glass (no wood) and that the sealant should keep the water out - after all it's a trailer boat a not in the water all the time (should have gone to the extra effort).

Flip open sea strainer - what a good idea.

Hope you're enjoying your summer (it's cold down here).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:36 am 
email admin your custom rank

Trailer boat you don't have to worry about that (either water in the 'glass or flip open raw water pick up). Nice to see how thick the hull is there. Its just odd how the standard water passage in the transom mount gets necked down like that.
I removed the Cobra water intake screen because I did a little survey and found that none of the Merc, or Volvo I/O lower units use screens. But, they all have about 6-8 small holes the Cobra has 4 big ones so maybe that's why they used the screen. Most out boards use an external screen that can be removed for cleaning out the water passage. If I had a problem with sea weed clogging the cooling system then I'd fab up an external screen but that hasn't been necessary.

Its really getting hot here. I had a small issue with my Cobra ESA shift interrupter sticking but that that has been sorted out. I think its a left over from that last big problem I had when salt water sprayed all over the place from the hose on the rear of the engine popping off. I lubed up the shift linkage shaft/bushing and it seems fine now.

Thanks for sharing your work. It will help others for sure. And I give you credit for being brave enough to cut a hole like that in the hull...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II